PDA

View Full Version : Residents cant allow Katrina victims in their homes.

Shanti
September 9th, 2005, 10:10 PM
This sucks. A Florida subdivision wont allow any residents to house any Katrina victims unless they are family..so if you have a friend that needs a roof...to bad. If your generous of heart and want to offer a roof, to bad. Its your house but not your sub-division. Residents are mad.

Subdivision rules are keeping some Ocala residents from temporarily housing Hurricane Katrina evacuees, and angry homeowners said it might make them move. LINK (http://www.channel3000.com/irresistible/4951969/detail.html)

WynterWynd
September 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Thats bullshit!:bastard:

GalenaFaolan
September 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I saw it in the news and read it in the local paper. That's the reason I refuse to EVER live anyplace that has a Homeowner's Association. They said they can't bend the rules even now. "They're single family homes and must stay that way."

Yeah, whatever!! People like that we need less of. Come to think of it, we need to abolish all Homeowner's Associations everywhere!!

Flar's Freyja
September 10th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I didn't realize that a homeowners' association could do that! :( I know that I don't mind complying with city and community rules outside my home, but I don't want anyone telling me what I can or can't do in my own home, how many animals I can have or who can live with me. As VB said, it's bs.

BlueMoon13
September 10th, 2005, 12:42 AM
:flamer: :goodgrief :grrrrr: :grrrrr: :whatgives :scream: :nuhuh: :bangyourh :meanface: :dis: :awilly: :holycow: :mad: :twitch: :eek:

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I think I would have to lie my a$$ off and say they were all relatives:D

Jenne
September 10th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I'm with you, VB...eff that, they're all my cousins! Dumbasses! Meh.

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 03:27 AM
I didn't realize that a homeowners' association could do that!

Lots of people don't bother to read the restrictive covenants when they buy a home. You agree to be bound by them when you sign, no matter how ridiculous, and a whole lot of them are ridiculous.

Last year when we were looking at homes, one neighborhood we looked at had more than 100 pages of restrictions. Not 100 restrictions, 100 pages of them, right down to dictating what you were allowed to plant in the yard and what color the curtains visible from the outside had to be. Living there would be like being in prison! And yes, only members of the family were permitted to live in the houses.

HOA leaders are generally elected. It shouldn't be difficult for the residents of this one to get rid of these two wanna-be tinpot dictators when the next HOA election comes around.

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Well bloody hell!:bug:

I bet they had stipulations for what type or even if you could have xmas decorations too?:eyebrow:
Just another reason people should live out in the woods!

bbnflpn
September 10th, 2005, 06:59 AM
my first experiance with a home owners association was this stable that was housed on one. one of the guys that had his horse there had this killer '68 mustang fast back in mint condition i was about to get my first car and i had admired it for a long time (i think the guy would drive it there so it would catch my eye so i would buy it) well the day came when it had the for sale sign in the window. and it said 1800$ i was shocked i thought that it would have cost more than that. so i asked him why it was so cheap and he said that the home owners association was makeing him sell it because he had way to many cars. he had to sell it fast and that was why it was so cheap. i begged my dad for the car but he said i didnt need a muscle car i got a bug instead. oh well. it was then (i was 15) that i knew i would never live in a place like that. beeing a car lover, decoration loving, non conforming person that i was. i would never beable to live in a place like that.

so does that mean you cant have sleep over parties for your kids cause they are not family. i would move out too

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I fully support any legislation to outlaw Homeowners Associations entirely, and have for a long time.

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
If someone is interested in buying a house, where the HOA has jurisdiction over everything....do they also get the right to pre-screen and aprove of the person or family that are interesting in buying that home?:eyebrow:

Smacks of segregation in my book! (if they can do such things)

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I fully support any legislation to outlaw Homeowners Associations entirely, and have for a long time.

It would be nice, but they are voluntary, private contracts, and we already have enough government interference in our private associations and transactions. Some people want to live in neighborhoods with more than 100 pages of restrictions, and the government shouldn't make it a crime for them to do so.

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Except that the government, by not acting, is telling people that there are places they cannot live unless they sign a contract full of restrictions on their rights. Once you buy a piece of property, no one should have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with that property, as long as you are not infringing on someone else's rights.

WynterWynd
September 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Except that the government, by not acting, is telling people that there are places they cannot live unless they sign a contract full of restrictions on their rights. Once you buy a piece of property, no one should have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with that property, as long as you are not infringing on someone else's rights._handclapp

Willow Rosette
September 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I agree this is b.s. but in general im kinda torn on the rules. Here in California one of the rules I have seen regularly is no cars parked on the street. Sounded kinda silly when I first heard about it but now I drive a garbage truck and look forward to the neighborhoods where I dont have to dodge the cars. But I think In a situation like this there should be exceptions made or look the other ways just for these people to get back on their feet. This is a national crisis and if these people are willing to step up and help then there shouldnt be any one stopping them. It is better than no one helping at all.

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Public roads are not private property. There is no right to park your car in the street. On the other hand, I have seen HOAs that tell people they can't park their car in their own driveway, and that is just wrong.

Ziana
September 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I heard of a case where an elderly widow lost her home for failure to pay HOA dues. Dues she didn't realize she owed. Her home was already paid for and she had lived there for 30 years. After some court battles it was ruled that the HOA had no right to auction off her home and she got it back, but it cost her in the form of court fees and repairs to the home after the new 'owners' trashed it.

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
My younger brother lived in a Homeowners Association where, not only could you not park your car in the driveway, but you couldn't wash your car in your driveway. If you wanted your car washed, you had to take it to a carwash. In addition, the only time your garage doors could be open was when you were actually taking the car out of the garage, or putting it away. I also found out that if you were going to have guests for more than overnight, you had to submit a form to the HOA telling them who the guests were, and how long they would be staying.On top of that they were not allowed to park their cars at your house, they had to park in a central parking lot and walk, or be shuttled to your house.

Not all HOAs are that bad, but it is only a matter of degree. Not every mugger bashes in your skull, but they are all bad.

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
My younger brother lived in a Homeowners Association where, not only could you not park your car in the driveway, but you couldn't wash your car in your driveway. If you wanted your car washed, you had to take it to a carwash. In addition, the only time your garage doors could be open was when you were actually taking the car out of the garage, or putting it away. I also found out that if you were going to have guests for more than overnight, you had to submit a form to the HOA telling them who the guests were, and how long they would be staying.On top of that they were not allowed to park their cars at your house, they had to park in a central parking lot and walk, or be shuttled to your house.

Not all HOAs are that bad, but it is only a matter of degree. Not every mugger bashes in your skull, but they are all bad.

Good heavens, why on earth did your brother buy in such a place? Or is he one of those people that likes living that way?

Honestly, I was just as glad to know that particular neighborhoods had all those idiotic restrictions. It told me what kind of people live there, and that's useful information. I didn't want to live among people like that, so I bought elsewhere.

PaganLibrarian
September 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Good heavens, why on earth did your brother buy in such a place?

His wife, who was the consumate yuppie at the time, liked it. She's calmed down alot since she had kids. I told him I'd come visit him after he moved.

lynn271
September 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
His wife, who was the consumate yuppie at the time, liked it. She's calmed down alot since she had kids. I told him I'd come visit him after he moved.

I can see that, about the kids. I'm a mom and it would get old very quickly having the neighbors reporting you every time the kids left their toys outside while they came in for 5 minutes to get a snack or something. Yes, I know someone this happened to.

And that's exactly what I meant about the kind of people that tend to live in these places. Who wants that kind of a jerk for a neighbor? When some areas have these nitpicky restrictions, they tend to become ghettos for the tattletale types and the control freaks, which keeps them out of my neighborhood!