View Full Version : Paint my pentacle? Opinions wanted.

September 9th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I just bought a new altar pentacle, perhaps six inches across. It is cast stone with knotwork surrounding the actual pentacle and oak leaves around the edges. The first image below shows it, although it is a little darker ivory colored than that.

I'm considering painting it - I think it may resonate 'earth' better with some earthy colors, and I like the idea of customizing it a bit. I'm not entirely sure it would look good, though - my wife insists that the unpainted version looks much better. I'm thinking of painting the leaves a dark but vivid green and the space around the actual pentagram black. The second image below shows the general idea (I fiddled with the first image in photoshop - it is a quicky, so it isn't a perfect example.)

So, then, give me some opinions - keep it natural, paint it like I'm considering, or do something else entirely with it?

September 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Persoanlly I like how it looks in the second picture.

September 10th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I like what You have done in the second picture as well! :abanana:

September 10th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I vote for the first pic. I like it natural.

September 10th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I say paint it. It looks as if it has more life when painted. :)

September 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I'd go for the first picture -- there are times when natural is better and for me this is one of them. It has more of an emotional pull in this case because I associate an appreciatin for things natural with the symbol.

Astara Seague
September 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM
;) I like the black background...dont know about the leaves though??? :hmmmmm:

September 10th, 2005, 11:52 PM
;) I like the black background...dont know about the leaves though??? :hmmmmm:

Paint it what you like. Go buy another and leave it natural. For any given day, look at the one that suits you.

September 11th, 2005, 04:11 AM
ooowww! I'm not sure if this would work on stone, but if you want to turn terracotta pots mossy you paint them with milk and leave them somewhere moist for a while. I'd be inclined to try to that, it really would be earthy then :D

September 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Im voting for in the middle..what about a wash of color on the leaves and darken the background instead of black..

It would have color, but still be natural looking...

try thining the paint and layering it..maybe some red and gold in the leaves as well????

Good painting..and I love the pentagram..

acorn elf
September 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
AH, they both look good. I see your dilemma, but cannot help as I never decide anything. I guess if you use it bare and there's no feeling you can paint it.

September 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I like the water colors idea someone had. Then it's more just a suggestion of color and everyone can sort of agree on it at least more or less.

July 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM
A year has passed, and I've finally gotten off of my rump and gotten it painted. I thought I'd post the final pictures. The original and photoshopped 'idea' are in the first page:

Top (http://home.insightbb.com/~gime/penttop.jpg)

Side (http://home.insightbb.com/~gime/pentside.jpg)

Thanks for all the votes, way back when!

July 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
I like it very much! :boing:

July 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM
First I just want to say I think it will be beautiful no matter what you decide to do with it. It's a very nice piece! Secondly, I'd paint it because I think anything entirely white needs a little color! :)

Deranged Hermit
July 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
I didn't see this thread a year ago, but you did a beautiful job with it! The way you painted it really brought it to life. :smile:

July 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
mmmm it looks like food... hehe

August 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
I like what you did with it, looks really good. :thumbsup:

August 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Beautiful! Where did you get the original?

Rowan Darkmoon
August 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM
You did a really nice job with it! It looks very earthy! :)

August 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I like it plain, but the art is pretty too.

August 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
What you did with it, was what I was going to suggest! Good job, it looks great! :fpraise:

August 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
It's stunning! You're talented with a paintbrush. :D