PDA

View Full Version : The Children

Flar's Freyja
September 10th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I'm just posting this because it's a really good article and brings up a good point:

Parents should remember that it's not just children directly affected by the hurricane who are troubled, counselors say. Even beyond the storm's Gulf Coast path, many anxious children who saw pictures or heard talk of the hurricane will need reassurance.

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20050910/D8CH2MSO6.html (http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20050910/D8CH2MSO6.html)

atropa
September 10th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Those poor babies. It just tears me apart to think of all those children who don't know where their parents are. I think about how scared Gage would be and it just kills me. Not to mention how I would be if I couldn't find him.

Danustouch
September 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Yes,likewise, I think parents need to be careful about how much their kids are seeing of this tragedy. Certainly, children should be made aware of what is going on. And parents should try to explain to the best of their ability, WHY it is as bad as it is (so that the next time there is a thunderstorm at night, the kids do not go into panic attacks thinking it will wind up like katrina), HOWEVER, overexposure to the news could mean kids are seeing these graphic images of dead bodies, and hearing graphic details of rapes and such (like as were going on in the superdome). Their exposure to that, I think, needs to be limited. There is time enough, for children to grow up and realize that they cannot be protected by their parents for everything that COULD happen in life. For now, they need to be children, and feel that they WILL Be protected by their parents. Seeing and hearing such graphic things can only undermine their feeling of security. Beyond that, I worry that they can become desensitized. And beyond that, god knows what other damage can be done to young minds when seeing such graphic details.

However, I did see an interesting point brought up with one internationally renowned child psychology expert, who said.."In other countries, media is far more graphic. Even CNN International, and BBC are more known to display very graphic images, the type of which we would never think of showing here in the US. However, in other countries, especially in some of the far less developed countries, such things as violence, and disaster are so common place, that people are simply accustomed to its presence. In America, Children have been living in a country which is relatively sheltered from this sort of presence for so long. We are still studying the effects of the images of 9/11 on the psyche of children who witnessed the tradgedy and aftermath on television in the weeks after the tragedy, we won't know yet, for many years, exactly the toll this "Shift" in thinking is having on Children raised in American Society" (paraphrased from a CNN special report last night). Interesting point.

Other countries are far more graphic in their coverage in media. Will we see a shift in how children learn to handle such information in the future?

~*Ginger*~
September 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Bless their little hearts!

RowanMegaera
September 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Definitely! I was very upset with my daughter's school last year when we were living in Pensacola and preparing for hurricane Ivan, they were going into way too much detail about how it would destroy homes and schools and kill people, and she was a first grader.

This year I've tried to limit the exposure on television that she has had access to, but because her father and I are very directly involved in the relief efforts she is aware of how devastating it has been and I have had to have a number of discussions with her regarding the effects of the storm and subsequent flooding. She and I used to travel on an almost weekly basis to New Orleans and she loved the city as much as I do so she has been very active in collecting donations to send with me to the shelter when I work.

My husband is one of the navy helicopter pilots who has been there since the day of the hurricane and I volunteer at a shelter here in town where we started out with 172 children separated from their parents, luckily we have located next of kin and/or parents for all but a few of them.

Kids are much more sensitive than we give them credit for sometimes, and also much more resilient.