PDA

View Full Version : Strange Kitten Behavior! HELP!

Lilith Morgaine
September 13th, 2005, 12:31 AM
For the last week my 10 week old kitten has decided that she needs to poop in the shower stall. The litter is cleaned every day and nothings changed in her environment. Why is she doing this? How do I get her to stop?
It is just BEYOND desgusting!!!!

RowanMayfair
September 13th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I've had a cat or two thats done this....it is gross....I just put the litter box in the shower (or tub) till they figured it out...you might try a different kind of litter...cats can get persnickety at times...good luck!

Bronach Druid
September 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I would keep a close eye on her, sometimes when cats start going in odd places they are trying to tell you they are ill. Also, even though you keep your litterbox clean, some cats just don't like to share. I have a cat like that. She has to have her own box or she will go elsewhere.

Shanti
September 13th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Lots of boxes!!!!!! And one in the stall!!! :)

Lilith Morgaine
September 13th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I literally have NO room for another box and I refuse to give into her by putting a litter box in my shower.......
Plus she does use the litter box 80% of the time........
She's using the litterbox as I type this

Lilith Morgaine
September 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
she did it in all four corners of the shower... could it be territorial?

Gwenhwyfar
September 13th, 2005, 03:19 PM
lots of cats do that. I was lucky with my kitty, alls she would do is pee right down the drain...lol...

Lilith Morgaine
September 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
And what do I do seeing as how I *LITERALLY* have no room for another litter box? Am I suppose to put it next to my couch orn in the middle of the living room? Or how about next to my bed....... *sarcasm*
Any ideas???? I'm desperate!!!

Deranged Hermit
September 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I have no useful advice, but look on the bright side, at least she chose a place where it's easy to clean up, not ground into carpet or something :weirdsmil

Pesha
September 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Randell did it once when I bought him a new box. He wanted his old one back. Cats can get spitful sometimes. But ya got to love them. You might want to consult your vet and she what he/she has to say.

BB
DS.

Ziana
September 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I had a kitten with the same problem. I finally had to resort to rubbing her nose in it and dropping her in her litterbox. After a couple of times doing this she got the message and stopped using my shower for her potty.

Ben Gruagach
September 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Cleaning out the litter box too much might actually be part of the problem. Sometimes a cat will only go where it has its' own smell. Maybe try cleaning out the litter box mostly but leaving one little buried treasure so that there is some familar smell for your cat to remind it what it's for.

stella01904
September 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
MM ~ And if your shower stall has a curtain and not a door, then keep the bathroom door shut!
I knew of a cat once who would perch on the side of the bathtub deposit his donations in the tub. ACK. Maybe they just like it to fall a bit of a distance. I have a dog who walks while she does her business lest it get on her feet. Are there raised edges on your shower stall where the kitten perches? Might a similar-shaped litter box accomplish the same thing?
BB, Stella

Pesha
September 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
There must be something about bathtubs and showers. My cats like to sleep in my tub.

BB
DS.

Squiddy
September 17th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I have an 8 year old male cat that normally uses the litterbox, but about once a week just poops where ever he decides is a good place. I took him in about 2 years ago as a stray, so I don't know where he got this habit from. I've taken him to the vet and he's perfectly healthy. Just has some weird ideas about pooping. I'm just thankful he doesn't pee where ever he pleases.

Faery-Wings
September 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM
It could be a point he is trying to make. When I got our new kitten, my older male would tell me he was unhappy by peeing right outside the box. I had to move the box after the baby got fixed, again, peed rightnexttoit.
Could also be that its too clean/too dirty/doesn't like where it is/or is just being ornery.
It is only poop? And not unusual poop? (color texture consistence)-- that might be worms, diarhhea, food issues?

I dunno- cats are weird creatures. I had one cat that would pee inthe shower for no reason, and then would drink the water off it right after I got out of the shower....
:whatgives:

Mouse
September 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
When my cat had the same problem I did what Ziana sujested. My cat got the point relitivily quickly too.

BlackMagicalCat
September 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Maybe she senses the bathroom is where ya poop,she smells yours in there.

Tabitha keeps covering hers and it makes dust go up in the air,so I moved her litter box into the bathroom.

I would put amonia in the showwer stall,she will avoid that area.Or,next time she steps into the shower,turn it on,and spook her,she will not be back in there.I had to put amonia on a spot on the carpet,to keep Tabitha from tearing up the carpet,but as soon as it dried,she was back tearing it up again,so I put duct tape on the spot ,where she was tearing it up,and it worked.

Or,like another said,put the litter box ib the showwer,maybe that will work.

Good luck

Lilith Morgaine
September 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I've put a tiny litterbox next to the big one (the only place I had room) and close the bathroom door after a shower (she never pooped in there when it was dry) and she's been a good girl since.... :) well good as in the sense she's not using the shower as a potty, lol..... her other behaviors leave something to be desired.