PDA

View Full Version : homemade butter

halfwaynowhere
September 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
today i made my own butter, its amazing... i just poured some heavy whipping cream into a small tupperware container, tossed in a clean marble, closed the lid, and shook it for about half an hour, until there was a lump of butter sitting in buttermilk... i drained the buttermilk, fished out the marble, and voila! homemade butter... adding salt is good if you like your butter salted... i think its amazing, you shake up something so liquidy as cream, and you end up with something so solid as butter... i guess i'm easily amused...

fangedeshana
September 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I looove making butter! I made it as a kid, found in some science "fun book" and my sister and I tried it out!

MoonDust
September 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Cool!
We have this as an activity for a prescool class. you put a little in a baby food jar and let the kids shake it while you read them a book, thalk about what it is you're making, or something like that. When it's ready they can eat it! They love it!

LadyTrinity
September 19th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Halfwaynowhere Now why did you have to go and make me hungry :tongueout

forestrangergrrl
September 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
lol! i love making my own butter! try adding chives or honey and cinnamon or herbs for some flavored butters.
when i was out in co working at the plains conservation center, that was one of the activities for the kids to do in the sod village. except we used an actual butter churn. talk about building muscle!

fangedeshana
September 19th, 2005, 11:55 PM
A butter churn would be so fun ^_^

halfwaynowhere
September 20th, 2005, 12:03 AM
i want to churn butter, but i don't have a churn, so i'm stuck with the shaking method... its okay, the small amount i made is going to last me an awful long time, nobody likes real butter except my mom and me, and she hardly uses it...

Shanti
September 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I would like to do it like they did in the old days...starting with a cow, a bucket and 2 hands!! :)

forestrangergrrl
September 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
i just got some cream the other day w/ the intentions of making butter.... before i read this thread. weeeeeird.... lol!
hmmmmm, i just remembered that i have some lavender honey..... *drools*

yavanna
September 20th, 2005, 08:50 PM
We had goats when I was little and my mom used to make us kids shake the butter tub, all the other kids hated it, but I liked it because who ever shook it got first taste of the butter. Your so awesome for making butter yourself.

bbnflpn
September 28th, 2005, 06:43 AM
i remember when i was in 2nd grade my teacher brought in a butter churn and we all got to have a turn at makeing the butter that way. i remember it takeing forever (well it seemed that way) i also remember a class down the way learning about popcorn and they were waiting for our butter to be done so we could share our efforts. i remember thinking that i could feel splinters in it but i am sure that it was my imagination.

ewok
November 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM
try putting some freshly crushed garlic in to make some real garlic butter.. great for garlic bread..heaps better than the supermarketand its also great to fry eggs in as well.. yum..

gotta go n fry some eggs now.. you made me hungry.. :dinnertim

RoseKitten
December 20th, 2005, 05:00 PM
How do you make it if you have the fresh goat milk to start with?? This sounds yummy...

Gypsy~spawnOfPrussia
December 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Awsome I didnt know it was this easy!
I made butter in elementary school waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, but the Teacher had but some sort of foul smelling green stuff in it to get it to clump up.
Heck, now that I know its this easy I will go right ahead and tell muy hubby I want some goats for my b-day... so I can make my own butter.....
HMMMM what about cheese?

KaidaMidnight
January 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM
That's awesome! It's funny, just yesterday hubby and I were at the store and I was saying that I wish I knew how to make my own (butter, cheese,) cause it'd be so much better for the boys (have you SEEN the ingredients they add to that stuff??). Glad I found this thread! :D

forestrangergrrl
January 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
it's always nice to make your own stuff! so rewarding and you have the added satisfaction of the knowledge that you made it all by yourself.

Valasha
January 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM
At any holiday dinner we make butter. Though we use a 2 liter pop bottle to shake it, then cut the bottom off to use for the butter mold (so ya, you see the shape of the bottom side of a pop bottle sticking up on a plate)