PDA

View Full Version : Fox "news" lies about Katrina

Ben Gruagach
September 19th, 2005, 05:15 PM
The media watchdog group MediaMatters.org (http://mediamatters.org/items/200509140001) did some fact-checking of a Fox News' Hannity & Colmes show regarding hurricane Katrina and the events that followed.

Guess what? They had some pretty blatant lies in there -- convenient lies which of course supported their right-wing stance.

Jenne
September 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Quelle suprise. Not.

It's called "Faux News" for a reason. LOL

PropheticMonkey
September 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Its what ive come to expect, I'm not suprised. Then again I tend to not trust the news anyway but still shame on them for lying to the gullible people lol

AmericanMe
September 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Remember, CNN's Easton Jordan had to resign for false stories about American soldiers targeting journalists. Fox's mistake is comparatively minor.

Journalists live in the moment, often they do not understand the big picture.

Ben Gruagach
September 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Remember, CNN's Easton Jordan had to resign for false stories about American soldiers targeting journalists. Fox's mistake is comparatively minor.

Nice spin there to try and make Fox's blatant lies sound like minor mistakes. I seriously doubt that the Hannity & Colmes report on the Katrina timeline was done on the "spur of the moment" especially since the lies were so particular in their right-wing favour.

Would lying to cover for the White House's failings have been an acceptable "minor mistake" during Clinton's time in office?

Doctor Jeep
September 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM

You have redefined the word "apologist" for me. Do you seriously believe that this omission was a mistake?

PaganLibrarian
September 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Do you seriously believe that this omission was a mistake?

Whether or not it was, or was not, there is a big difference between leaving out when the governor declared the state of emergency/when the levees actually broke, and claiming that US soldiers are trying to kill journalists.

Doctor Jeep
September 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Whether or not it was, or was not, there is a big difference between leaving out when the governor declared the state of emergency/when the levees actually broke, and claiming that US soldiers are trying to kill journalists.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that Hannity/Colmes gave a distorted version of what happened.

Ben Gruagach
September 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM

This thread was started to discuss the topic of Fox news purposefully lying. I'm not sure how bringing up other lies by other media sources is really relevant -- unless you're trying to suggest that "they're all doing it" is a reasonable defense.

That excuse doesn't convince a parent when their kid uses it, so why should it work to get a news media company off the hook?

Jenne
September 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
This thread was started to discuss the topic of Fox news purposefully lying. I'm not sure how bringing up other lies by other media sources is really relevant -- unless you're trying to suggest that "they're all doing it" is a reasonable defense.

That excuse doesn't convince a parent when their kid uses it, so why should it work to get a news media company off the hook?

It's convenient. LOL Why else?

Plus, Faux News listeners tend to a have a "they can do no wrong" pov...which I've frankly never encountered in other news listeners. :whatgives

PaganLibrarian
September 19th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Because all news media spins things to make it look however they want it to. It's not news when the libs do it. It's not news when the cons do it. And I was replying directly to something someone said. I could care less if you think it's on topic or not. If someone says something not on topic, I'll respond to it, whether it's on topic or not.

BeachWitch
September 19th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Because extreme Right and Extreme Left have lost all reasonable sanity and need convenient "everybody else is doing it" logic.

Of course, pointing out the lies makes you an extreme something, which in turn justifies the publication of you in bed with a transgendered illegal immigrant hooker and a cocaine moustache.

Jenne
September 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Because extreme Right and Extreme Left have lost all reasonable sanity and need convenient "everybody else is doing it" logic.

Of course, pointing out the lies makes you an extreme something, which in turn justifies the publication of you in bed with a transgendered illegal immigrant hooker and a cocaine moustache.

Hey now, leave the family photos OUT of this one! :fpatricks

WokeUpDead
September 19th, 2005, 10:22 PM
If we're going to keep bringing up things like that then how about Geraldo getting kicked out of Iraq or Afghanistan, I forget which, for revealing the location of some US troops. Oddly enough he still has a job with Fox

Jenne
September 19th, 2005, 10:23 PM
It was Iraq, WUD. Yeah, that guy is a serious joke. LOL

BeachWitch
September 19th, 2005, 10:27 PM
serious joke. LOL

LOL pun intended!

You no doubt saw G and Bill dissing the NYT for "publishing lies" about G???

Jenne
September 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
LOL pun intended!

You no doubt saw G and Bill dissing the NYT for "publishing lies" about G???

EXACTLY! Hence the LOL, lol.

And yes...it's all a circle jerk. :rolleyes:

Agaliha
September 19th, 2005, 11:12 PM
That is quite interesting. Doesn't suprise me though.
I know Fox News more more Republican (right?) but for some reason I watch it (I'm a Demo, btw).
I don't know why actually. I just gravate toward it like a roach in a sticky tent.
Grrr...

WokeUpDead
September 19th, 2005, 11:42 PM
That is quite interesting. Doesn't suprise me though.
I know Fox News more more Republican (right?) but for some reason I watch it (I'm a Demo, btw).
I don't know why actually. I just gravate toward it like a roach in a sticky tent.
Grrr...

I've done that before. It's like a train wreck or someone pulled over on the side of the road. You just can't turn away.

Agaliha
September 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I've done that before. It's like a train wreck or someone pulled over on the side of the road. You just can't turn away.

:falloffch Yeah!

BeachWitch
September 20th, 2005, 12:32 AM

Exactly, or like the Anna Nicole smith show on E!. You KNOW she is going to do something insane, you KNOW it's unbelieveable and you watch it anyway because that's what we do. We slow down for car wrecks cuz we might see blood. We crane our necks to see a train wreck because there might be a dead body. Not watching is just unAmerican!

*points* OMG did you see that?!?