PDA

View Full Version : Oxalis/Wood Sorrel

IvyCeltress
September 21st, 2005, 12:09 PM
The other night I had a dream I was in a garden with my mother and she was tending a bush with small yellow bell-like flowers. When I asked her the name, she said they were oxalis. I did a little searching and apparently oxalis is another name for wood sorrel. While it does have yellow flowers, the petals are open seem to be more of a wildflower than a bush.

I did find out that for weddings, wood sorrel symbolises joy and since the plants have three lobes it's also referred to a shamrock plant and refer to the maiden, mother, and crone. I'm also kind of assuming since it was birthday it is a pretty significant dream.

On the nutritional side it is a great liver
cleanser and considered a blood tonic. ALso has alot of vitamin C.

I'm thinking I need to adopt it along with my other plant totem-ivy.

If anyone does any wildcrafting and runs accross oxalis or wood sorrel, would you ask it if wants to come to me? I'd be happy to reimburse for postage.

nag champa
September 22nd, 2005, 12:34 AM
Are you interested in live plants, rhizomes, tied sprigs, or cut and dried herb?

IvyCeltress
September 22nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
My preference is live plants that I can transplant, but I'll take sprigs or dried as well.

Thanks!

Akashic Brother
September 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I like oxalis it is one of the biggest weeds around here though. I like how it is so delicate, and has heart shaped leaves. I like the ornamental cultivers. I have one that has big leaves that are purple and has pink flowers. It is cool that the leaves close up at night time. I have another that has a pink splash of varigation on the leaves, and has purple flowers. Very nice plant, just so invasive, I find the smaller leaved varieties are far more creeping, the bigger leaved 'mound forming' types.

IvyCeltress
September 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks for theinfor--I did find and buy one from ebay with silvery leaves and yellow flowers--Sort of close to my dream. I planted it two days ago and I'm already getting flowers!