PDA

View Full Version : Washington Wants Pope To Be Given Immunity In Abuse Case

aluokaloo
September 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1970282005 (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1970282005)

Author: Nicole Winfield Source: The Scotsman (UK)

Title: WASHINGTON WANTS POPE TO BE GIVEN IMMUNITY IN ABUSE CASE

The United States government has said that Pope Benedict should be given immunity from a civil court action in Texas, which accuses the pontiff of conspiring to cover up the sexual molestation of three boys by a seminarian.

Peter Keisler, the assistant US attorney-general, said that Pope Benedict enjoys immunity as the head of a state - the Vatican. He said that allowing the case to proceed would be "incompatible with the United States' foreign policy interests", according to court documents.

There was no immediate ruling from Judge Lee Rosenthal of US district court for the southern district of Texas in Houston, who is presiding over the case.

However, the Supreme Court has held that US courts are bound by such "suggestion of immunity" motions submitted by the government, Mr Keisler's submission says.

The Vatican's embassy in Washington had asked the US government to issue the immunity suggestion and do everything it could to get the case dismissed.

Everday with crap like this I get more and more disgusted with our species!:fpatricks

PropheticMonkey
September 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
:shaker:

iis enough ever enough with these church officials?

aluokaloo
September 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
:shaker:

iis enough ever enough with these church officials?

clearly not, I don't recall when it WAS ever ok for pedophies to become immune! It might have been perfectly allright for everyone else, but to me I don't care if your the king or a bum on the streets! It has never been ok in my book! We as a species are truely disgusting animals!

PaganLibrarian
September 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Whether it is or not, the man is correct. The pope is the head of a foreign government, and is therefore immune from civil lawsuits brought by private citizens.

aluokaloo
September 21st, 2005, 08:15 PM
Whether it is or not, the man is correct. The pope is the head of a foreign government, and is therefore immune from civil lawsuits brought by private citizens.

That's supposed to make such crimes ok?

PaganLibrarian
September 21st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Did I say that?

Don't accuse me of saying things I didn't.

The law says he can't be sued by US citizens. There are reasons for such laws existing. It's part of the diplomatic laws.

evie_mun
September 21st, 2005, 10:14 PM
Did I say that?

I saw no accusation, only a question. Calm down.

PaganLibrarian
September 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
If that was a question it could have been asked in a much politer manner. Around here (where I live), that is a sarcastic sure-fire opener to a fight.

aluokaloo
September 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Did I say that?

The law says he can't be sued by US citizens. There are reasons for such laws existing. It's part of the diplomatic laws.

No i did not accuse you of saying that. It was posed as a rhetorical question. If I had accused you of such i would have said "Gods Paganlibrarian! How can say such a thing!?" However you are right that could have been worded differently and I apologize for the fact that it came out as such.I am shocked that such a consideration would even be made. Btw, I don't know if you are having a bad day or not, and I am sorry if you are. But please don't take it out on me I would appreciate if you didn't. Thank you

Darkdale
September 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
That's supposed to make such crimes ok?

No, but what do you suggest? Invade Vatican City?

aluokaloo
September 22nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
No, but what do you suggest? Invade Vatican City?

No I don't I simply don't see it as fair that pedophiles can get away with things just because they are clergy men.

PaganLibrarian
September 22nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
They don't. There are quite a few clergy who are in jail now, and quite a few more still awaiting trial. However, there are diplomatic rules, and if we want them to play by the rules, then we have to play by the rules.

Jenne
September 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
No I don't I simply don't see it as fair that pedophiles can get away with things just because they are clergy men.

It isn't fair. Unfortunately, in today's world, unfair can still happen, and does, often. :(

aluokaloo
September 22nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
It isn't fair. Unfortunately, in today's world, unfair can still happen, and does, often. :(

I know but I can still say that it sucks. :geez:

Garnet
September 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Just to play Devil's Advocate.......

Three men who were abused by a seminarian in Texas want the Pope to answer for the crimes against him.........

...that took place ten years before he became Pope. Ratzinger wasn't the seminarian who molested the boys, wasn't the head of the seminary where the crimes took place, wasn't the bishop or archbishop resonsible for the diocese where the crime took place, wasn't in America at all at the time (not even as a tourist, much less as someone doing anything to hide or defend pedophile priests).
But he should be held responsible based on a document he wrote promoting pontifical secrecy over things that don't include pedophile priests, when he wasn't the Pope?

IMO, holding the current Pope responsible is a real stretch.

IvyWitch
September 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM

I think you're missing the point. The POPE isn't the one who supposedly molested the kids. Someone is trying to sue him for trying to cover it up. Personally I think this lawsuit is kind of dumb....the situation took place years ago, what does the current Pope have to do with it? Noooooothiiiiing.

The charge against the Pope that they are asking immunity against is conspiracy, and NOT pedophilia. The pope isn't "getting away" with anything.

Darkdale
September 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

What does that have to do with the Pope?

aluokaloo
September 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I think you're missing the point. The POPE isn't the one who supposedly molested the kids. Someone is trying to sue him for trying to cover it up. Personally I think this lawsuit is kind of dumb....the situation took place years ago, what does the current Pope have to do with it? Noooooothiiiiing.

The charge against the Pope that they are asking immunity against is conspiracy, and NOT pedophilia. The pope isn't "getting away" with anything.

That would be aiding and abetting! With child abuse cases they should be allowed to have justice. Or are adults only justice?

PaganLibrarian
September 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
That would be aiding and abetting!

In what way? Ratzinger had nothing whatsoever to do with the cases in question...ever. That's a little like saying the current police chief of, say Los Angeles, should be held responsible for something done in one precinct of the LA police department ten years ago. Granted the current police chief may have been in the department then, but he certainly wasn't at that precinct, or involved in what happened there.

IvyWitch
September 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM
That would be aiding and abetting! With child abuse cases they should be allowed to have justice. Or are adults only justice?

No, the other thing you're not getting is that the charges of conspiracy against the Pope are baseless and rediculous, and the evidence has little to no relation to the case whatsoever. The guy and his lawyers are just looking to get more money.