PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a "perfect atmosphere"?

LadyTrinity
September 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
As a writer, poet, etc.. do you have a perfect "mood" you have to be in or set to get into the vibe of your writing and etc.. such as light candles or incense or certain type of lighting or even clutter free work area or a specific setting?
:bigblue:

Yasmine Galenorn
September 22nd, 2005, 01:35 AM
As a writer, poet, etc.. do you have a perfect "mood" you have to be in or set to get into the vibe of your writing and etc.. such as light candles or incense or certain type of lighting or even clutter free work area or a specific setting?
:bigblue:

I *prefer* a clutter free atmosphere, and relatively quiet. However, once you're writing on a career/professional level, you simply don't have the luxury of choosing *when* to write. You have contracts--especially multiple contracts--you sit your butt in the chair and you write every day, just like you'd get yourself into work at any other job. You just deal with the not-so-perfect conditions because if you 'wait for the Muse'...you'll never get anything done. Just the realities on the professional side of the fence.

I have an ironclad rule: my office door is shut, you'd better KNOCK first, no matter who you are. Just like I wouldn't go interrupt my friends or family at work, I expect the same respect from them.

Yasmine :colorful:

mtpathy
September 22nd, 2005, 01:42 AM
usually the perfect time for me to write is when i have insomnia and ive been laying in bed for
a couple of hours..long enough for my mind to roam and the images in my mind to become
vivid and real enough where i can roam around them,thats usually when i come up with my
most unique stuff ;)

argento_occhi
September 28th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I write when I get the urge to write, which happens a lot. I don't have any sort of perfect atmosphere for writing. It just happens, whether sitting at a train station, in the middle of a lecture, in the middle of watching TV. If the mood takes me, I write.

Argent

Shadowsong
September 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Same as Argent. It happens when it happens, I can't really control it. So my mood, I guess, is inspiration itself. Although I do like to play God if I'm pissed (write characters into situations and either get them out or let them suffer... quite stress relievnig.)

fairielove
October 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I have to be in a mood, I guess. I write some poetry and I have started a recording of my life for my children. So, for poetry I have to be in a mood, it just hits me and I start writing. As for my life, I can write on that anytime.
BB,

SilverAnnie
October 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
i have a little ritual that i use every day to set my mood and open the gates, so to speak and at least invite my muse to pay me a visit. when writing is your full time job, you have to write whether you are in the mood or not. i tend to stick to a schedule because its the only way to pull myself away at times... especially if im very frustrated over something in the manuscript...

Fyre_Nymph
October 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I tend to write while watching movies. I have done most of my writing while watching Van Helsing, pirates of the Caribbean, and Sleepy Hollow. The creative inginuity of the movies inspire me to create, and let my mind run loose.

Shadowsong
October 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM
And to be specific if I have the luxury to choose when I write: darkness, middle of the night, classical music (such as movie scores). With my dog asleep on my bed, me hot from a bath and all wrapped up in PJ's. Full belly, too.
But seeing as to how specific that is... well it don't happen much. :)

Shadow

Morrigan_Wolfwind
April 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I need quiet, or close to quiet, and my notebook and my mechanical pencil.

And something to write on besides my leg. I'm really not that picky, and usually I write whenever I want to write. And I need a good peace of mind before I write, unless it's something emotional.

I also prefer to write at an insane hour of the morning, like 6:30AM, so it'll start out quiet and then I'll hear the birds (outside) start chirping. MY birds, on the other hand (budgies), tend to squawk a lot.

David19
April 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I'm not a writer or poet (i'm only 19), but when i'm writing an essay or something, i think, for me, it's helpful if there is some kind of noise, not too much, but just enough like if i have the TV on (although if it gets too loud, i can't concentrate and get distracted, :)) or something like that.

MysticWitch
April 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I love music when Im trying to set the mood :hehehehe:

dragoncrone
August 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I have to be left alone, which means my husband has to be at work. If he's around he will pester the living sh!t out of me, dear that he is (is there any coffee? where are my keys? do you want to go out for lunch? did the mail come yet? etc. etc.)

Optimum conditions would include background music relevant to whatever I'm working on, coffee of course, and food available.

I do have one quirk about writing - if it's a rough draft, I have to do it in longhand, and I prefer pens that write smoothly without smearing.

Bluewillow
August 6th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I'm not a professional writer, but I write nonetheless. When I'm writing, I prefer to be alone. I can't concentrate well enough if there's anyone around me. Background music is good. I like to have a beverage on hand at all times. I don't like the space that I am writing in to be cluttered, and I prefer to use pens that write smoothly without smearing, as dragoncrone mentioned in her post.

Findarto
August 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
An active muse, a keyboard,
and some creative music if available.

Tanya
August 23rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
I do best in a clutter free environment... visually as well as aurally...but when the muse has me.. I will write on a bus.. another secret favorite writing place.... staff meetings.... low monotone talking... boring visual environment.... whooohoooo.. its creative time...

I do most of my writing on my front porch, my bed and at dinning room table after the kids are in bed.

I used to have a drink while I worked, and then I found I was becoming dependent on that... so I cut it out. Now I stick to chamomile tea.

I have a clear rule.. no one is allowed to talk to me when I'm writing.... it breaks my GROOVE.

Infinite Grey
August 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not much of a writer, and can't really compare to even the most humble of professional writers... or even amateur writers for that matter... BUT I have produced some very moving and quality shite... when I'm in an extreme emotional state. Which is rather hard, as I normally flutter around the realms of shifting half-assed emotions and total apathy.

Tanya
August 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
I have to be left alone, which means my husband has to be at work. If he's around he will pester the living sh!t out of me, dear that he is (is there any coffee? where are my keys? do you want to go out for lunch? did the mail come yet? etc. etc.)

I do have one quirk about writing - if it's a rough draft, I have to do it in longhand, and I prefer pens that write smoothly without smearing.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! that is why no one is allowed to talk to me.... have people no sense of how hard a continuing though is???

I too am a devotee of pen and paper for the rough draft. It's not usually til my 3 or 4th draft I use a puter. I twiddle from there often for years, but usually I work out the content issues with a pen.

I think it too has to do with keeping your flow....and avoiding the urge to break your thought on the rough draft and start editing before you've completed your thought.

Zhr Morgana
June 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
My ideal atmosphere is this: Sitting outside at Starbucks on a warm sunny day, drinking a good cup of coffee and smoking cigarettes, writing in my notebook with a good reliable pen...I never came up empty with that.

Unfortunately since my last real writing session I have quit smoking...or trying to anyway...it has been super stressful at work because of summer vacation and I have slipped a couple times. I have tried sitting down and writing under the same surroundings except without cigarettes...and nothing has come out. Anything I have written hasn't been up to my standards...whatever those are.