PDA

View Full Version : Plecko

Windigo
September 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
I have a plecko he is about 2 months old to my fish tank. In the last couple of days he has been taking fits. He swims like mad around the fish tank. Does anyone know why? Thanks.

Flaire-FireStar
September 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
*Moved to Critter Chat*

Shanti
September 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM
If its acting nuts, not just a quick dash to the other side of the tank, its usually because something is irritating him.
Chemical make up of the water is off. Parisites like ick that cant be seen, yet! All sorts of reasons!

Gee first,
How do you know its 2 months old? He would be awfully tiny!
What species 'exactly' is he?
What size tank?
How many other fish? Kind?
Whats the water source for the tank when you filled it?
Is it well established water or new?
Whats the temp ranges?
Whats the filter set up?

Windigo
September 21st, 2005, 10:01 PM
He is only 2 months old to me he is approx 6 inches long.
30 gallon tank
15 other fish
tetra's and platey's
2 angel fish
temp is approx 77 to 78
establishe water
large filter
air bubbles also

Shanti
September 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM
He is only 2 months old to me he is approx 6 inches long.
30 gallon tank
15 other fish
tetra's and platey's
2 angel fish
temp is approx 77 to 78
establishe water
large filter
air bubbles also
Ok he's not a fragile little baby! :)

First watch to see if he is scratching on anything, when he goes goofy, incase he is getting ick. Itch is the first hint before you can see the white specks.

Second the water. Do you know your ph and chemical balance? Do you have test kits?
Thats important. Your water could be a little off. What doesnt hurt is to change just 1/2 the water with 'safe' water. If there is an imbalance, that will often correct it at least for awhile, depending if there is a cause going on you dont know about!
Does your filter have charcoal, or equally efficient substrate, in it for removing gases in the water? Thats a must!

Your tank sounds ok in size to fish ratio!!
The temp is fine...so I would look at water and potential illness. Water first, cause an illness may take more time and the water should be perfect anyhow to keep the fishes immune systems peaked!

Your water should be more acid for the tropicals you have. Whats is your water source? If your water is hard water, not good. Mineral water, not great either. You want a soft, low side of ph. If your water in the tank is hard water or to high a ph, you can take out 1/2 and replace it with distilled water from the grocery store. That would help a lot and give you time to figure out your hole water scenario!