PDA

View Full Version : Geneology.

Danustouch
November 28th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Have you traced your family's history?Where has it lead you? Any really interesting family histories??? Famous people in your lineage?

I've found some interesting things in my search. I've found that my fathers family came from Ireland, and before that, most likely Scotland. I've found that my last name means.."Dweller in a hazel valley", and that it is a primarily Scottish Surname. Yet, my Grandfather's Father Came from Ireland..and HIS father owned 38 acres in Cross Doney, County Cavan, Ireland. Which in that era, was quite a bit of land, meaning he was probably considered a fairly wealthy land owner. The area of Ireland that is in, Ulster County, was the area of Ireland which gave birth to the legend of Cuchulainn. Thought that was pretty interesting. However, since the family most likely came to Ireland via Scotland during the Scottish settlements, it doesn't necessarily connect my family lineage to the Great Irish hero's. Which I was dissappointed to find out.

On the other side of my family, I have several interesting stories. My Great Grandmother was only 8 years old, when she was "sold" in marriage to a trapper. Thought that was pretty sad. And my Great Grandfather's Brother on the other side of the family, was a Civil War Hero, who was imprisoned in Andersonville Prison, but was one of only a few prisoners to actually escape from Andersonville, which was one of the worst military prisons of the Civil War Era.

Tracing your family history can be really fun, and really informative. So..what have you heard, or done, thus far to discover yours?

flar7
November 28th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Dad side Irish, Orange Irish. Grandmother on Mom's side German, and Grandfather on Mom's side caucasian/Native American Mix, with one trail going back to Daniel Boone! cool.

so my grandfather comes from indians and indian fighters...

:boing::smooch:-I am allergic to racoon skin caps!

ReverendAJS
November 28th, 2001, 01:18 PM
I'm currently working on my family tree too. I'm not getting far on my fathers side because my paternal grandfather was estranged from his father, so I may never get to know the history of my surname, but I'm still trying. I'm also very interested in tracing my maternal line. I've gotten to four generations back, the family is from Shronebeha Banteer, County Cork, Ireland. It's really hard finding information anywhere where you don't have to sell your kidneys on the black market to get it. Oh well. We should all post our family trees somewhere and see if we can find the point where we're all related. :D
Reverend aJS

Danustouch
November 28th, 2001, 01:32 PM
So agreed Reverand. Doing Irish Geneology work is so difficult. When you write away to some of the geneological records libraries, they request 50.00's up front, just to look in their files for your name. If they come up empty handed..you don't get the money back. And you have to KNOW a lot of information...FIRST so that they can identify the records. For instance, I know my great great grandfathers name, Great Great Grandmothers maiden name, which is one thing they use to verify birth/marriage records.

Then..of course, a lot of the records are missing. Contributing factors are the famine, where many people were buried in mass graves (paupers graves)..without proper identification or burial certificates, or church records. Bombings during the revolutions, where millions of records were destroyed, or lost during the moving process, Emigrations (being that many who emigrated were very poor, and illiterate, and would just sighn x next to their name, which was often misspelled by some ship captain.), etc. The best lead one would have, in finding geneology in Ireland, would probably be Church records. But then, you'd have to identify which denomination they were, protestant/catholic (then, you'd have to say presby, episcopal, etc, etc, etc)...and then you'd have to figure out what parish they were in, which often changed, according to the year. It's so frustrating. As I said..because of the lack of knowledge of my great great grandmothers maiden name, I cannot find any records on her, her family, or even much on my great great grandfather, except the fact that he owned 38 acres in Cross Doney, County Cavan, Ireland (coolna carrick, specifically). But..where he came from, or where his parents before him, came from, is beyond me.

Much of it is left to guessture. For instance, in this case, we've been able to find a TON of Hislops, Hyslops, Heaslips (all variations of the same name), in Scotland, but only a handful in Ireland, and those were in the late 1800's. Scotland, England, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as the West Indies, are still heavily populated with people with that last name, but most of them, upon being contacted, declare their heritage to be Scottish origin. Now..we know that during the highland uprisings, and Hislop (and all the variations), was a popular Scottish Highland Name. So..it's quite possible that during the uprising, some of our ancestors fled to Ireland to escape the queens wrath. But then, it's also possible that the Queen herself granted them land over in Ireland to settle, since it is a known fact that she did this in hopes of quelling Irish uprisings. So..to make a long story short, we're pretty sure that the family traveled from Scotland to Ireland. But we can't find any pre -1830's records. :(

It gets sooooooooo upsetting sometimes...and frustrating.

ReverendAJS
November 28th, 2001, 01:37 PM
well good luck to both of us then ;)
Rev

ReverendAJS
November 28th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Just in case you're curious, and maybe somebody on the board here can help me, here's my family tree.

http://eboladna.itgo.com/familyTree/

Danustouch
November 28th, 2001, 03:44 PM
We're not related :(.

Have you checked some of the Irish Geneology sites for more info on County Cork? Some of the counties, have their own message boards. You might also try Al Beagans Geneology Notes...just run a search on Al Beagan..and he pops up. Lots of info there on Irish Geneology.

Danustouch
November 28th, 2001, 03:46 PM
oh...also..Ellis Island now has a site where you can search for passenger records for your relatives. It should pop up right on any search engine when you type in geneology + Ellis Island

Also..you should try the Mormons search engine. It's pretty good.

UnSolon
November 28th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Well lets see now...

Both sides scottish (originanlly) with a bit of irish mixed in.

My dad's side moved To Cape Breton Island in the 1760's, before the great waves of immigration, and there you can still find pretty much ALL my realatives there. Its a shame though, the last coal mine, the traditional way of life for the last few centuries in Glace Bay and such, just shut down. My grandfather, and his father, and his father, were all coal miners. I've also got a PIRATE somewhere back along this tree.

My moms side moved to Virginia in the 1740's, but than as soon as the American Independence thing started they moved up to Canada as United Empire Loyalists... YAYYY BRITAIN, DOWN WITH THE YANKS... (j/k :) ) They moved to Upper Canada, and another part of them also lived in Nova Scotia (thats where Cape Breton Island is) in a place called Noel Harbor or something... This side has a bit of Irish in it, one or two generations of O'Neils a couple generations back or something.... funny that my dads side is also a McNeil... both meaining "Son of Neil"...

So I have NO links to the old continent... I'm about as Canadian as one can get, without being Native American...

Peace

Danustouch
November 28th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Thats really cool that you have a pirate in your lines :)

Did you know that O'Neil, is one of the first Celtic clans in Ireland. At one point there were only a handful of clans settled there. The O'neills were among those :)