View Full Version : I want a mouse!

September 25th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I've just been staying over at my aunt's and she wants to buy me a mouse for xmas.

Thing is... my mum and step dad don't want me to have one.

Now mice don't cost much to keep, you just pay for the cage. I would keep it clean because it's only small and thats not really much bother.

She'd be all safe in her cage and i'd put it on a shelf so the cat can't get her.

I've always wanted a little pet that I was responsible for. I guess it's childish.

We have a cat and a dog and a rabbit. But they're not mine they dont rely on me. They are very independant.

I'd really look after it. I know i would, i'd read up on them, i'd handle her every day. I'm really serious about it. I really want a mouse!

So i'm looking for advice on keeping mice, although i know a little already and also some advice on how to win my mother over. thanks
Blessed be

September 25th, 2005, 11:28 AM
A pet mouse needs loads of love. They need clean shavings in their cage, water in a bottle to drink...you can buy special bottles for this purpose. Food is important and it should have some vitamins in it. Check with a vet, who can give you good advice. I kept pet rats for years and they were wonderful. Also the mouse needs some toys and a little bit of cloth for making a sleeping nest.

September 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
can mice and rats use wheels to run in like hamsters do?

September 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
yep. i had a mouse once, she loved her wheel... damn thing was so noisy that i had to take it away from her at night so i could get some sleep... fresh food and water every day is important, and a clean environment is key... my mouse died one day for no apparant reason, she looked like she had a heart attack, and although her life was short, she was a great pet, as long as you don't mind being pooped on... make sure you keep your mouseaway from cats, one of my cats kept sneaking into my room and broke into her cage and stole her, they just played, he didn't try to eat her or anything, it was actually pretty cute, but still very dangerous... and remember, if your mouse gets sick or injured, it will cost an arm and a leg to fix, and it will be hard to find a vet who will actually deal withthat small of an animal... there is a lot to think about, but mice are actually fairly simple to take care of. it might be wise to invest in a book about mice, i always buy books on pets before i get them that way i know how the experts do it...

September 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I once saved a baby mouse after a storm, gave it a home outside and everything... but I didn't have a cage to keep it in... so I don't know where it is or how it's doing :wah: All I know is that when I had found it, it's eyes were not even really open yet.. so cute!

October 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
I have three mice and I must say...they are not that big of a deal to care for and they don't cost that much. But you got to be responsible and able to care for them and have the time.

Cage: 20$ for the Habitrail Mini (especially for mice-- the wire is closer together to keep little mice from excaping).
I now use a 10 gallon aquarium for them-- free, from when we had fish
Cage lid: 3$ (for aquarium)
Shavings: A bag of compact shavings (as in they expand and you get more than the bag looks like) 7$-- has lasted me 4 months
Food: 5$ for the top quality pellets and 3$ for "treat" food-- oats and grains which I add
Pellets last about 2 months or more. Treat food longer. ONLY feed them food that says "Mice and Rats" -- gerbil and hamster food is a no-no. There is different vitamins and dietary needs.
*I got mine a "fiesta" mix, but they only ate the grains and seeds (which is not good) and left the small pellets untouched. So I used that as treat food and bought what they fed them at the pet store: Large Mouse/Rat fortified pellets.
Other foods: carrots, crackers, grapes, pretzels-- are just human food given to them once in a while.
SILENT wheel (has ball-bearings so it does not squeek all the time!): 9$
*This is their MAIN form of excercize-- it is a must.
Water bottle: $ 1.82
Actual mice: $1.99 each

Total: about $50 initially. Keep in mind they need shavings and food all the time.

The Habitrail Mini comes with a food bowl, a water bottle, and house and wheel with it-- so it you go that route that is covered in the cost.
IMPORTANT: Don't use the Habitrail Mini's wheel-- it is known to decapite and kill mice. I thew mine away.

--The cage needs clearning every week and spot cleaning of the pee areas (they choose one area) everyday.
--Clean water every day
--Food everday

* Also I seriously reccommed two mice at least. Having just one it will get loney and depressed-- it would be a borning life for a mouse..they live in groups. (if you look at the in a pet store they have tons in a cage-- they are used to company. Not to be morbid, but I got three so if one died there was a friend of the other. Three is a perfect number for me-- not too messy, and they kept each other company and provided micey interaction that I as a human cannot.
DON'T get a male and female! MAKE SURE they are two females. Males will fight.
females are the best for a beginner.

I use cotton balls, toilet paper rolls, tissue and things for the nest material. They have to have wood to chew on for their teeth-- provide that.

I bought them a mini ball to run around in outside of the cage protected-- but they didn't like it. The wheel is their excercise-- I have two (one older one that sqeeks horribly and the silent wheel). The silent wheel is in threre at all times. I put the other one in if there is a tiff over the other wheel.

Also get another smaller cage area to keep them in when you are cleaning the main cage. They sell "Travel" carriers for small rodents for cheap.

* Important: To clean the Habitrail Mini you DO NOT need to undo the whole thing. Keep the top part connected (ALL of it) and ONLY unlach the area on the bottom where the bottom green pan connects to the top...the top comes off in one piece. Take off the mushroom house from the latch, and clean the bottom. If you need to clean the top, just clean in all as one unit. Then dry it and connect it once again. MAKE SURE it is connected and clicks in

DON'T Under-estimate a mouse--- they are quick and can jump! Mine eacaped from the Habitrail Mini in a blink of an eye.
*When I hold my mice I make sure it is over the acquarium so if something were to happen there is a safe area underneath. If I took one say on my bed and I couldn't catch her, she'd be dead. I have four cats and a dog...all who are very curious about them. Be careful when you first get them...hold them over the cage area or lid.

Also DON'T use CEDAR-- it kills them and gives them respiratory problems!

I play with mine everyday. When they bite it doesn't hurt-- never broke the skin. Don't ever punish a mouse. keep cats and dogs away for them. General common sense.

I was going to get a Corn Snake...but that would have been SO MUCH more money than the mice and snakes live to be 50 years old at times. Not something I am ready for. So I got mice.

I was going to get two rats, but they need ferret sized homes (as in BIG) and I didn't have them money to pay for a 100+ dollar cage and such.

Oh and mice tend to get health problems (mine haven't yet) but be prepared to pay for a vet.

Here are some sites about pet mice-- I reccommed you read everything first.
Habitrail Mini: http://www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=909386&cm_ven=nik&cm_cat=70&cm_pla=909386&cm_ite=5439208&CMReferringUrl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.yahoo.com%2fsearch%3fei%3dutf-8%26fr%3dslv1-cnetf%26p%3dhabitrail%2bmini

Here are some pics of my mice-- They are albino feeders (as in not Fancy...and meant to be snake food), all female

October 3rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
I have a pet rat called smudge, They need to be handled alot so getting them out of their cage for a few hours a day will do them good. Make sure only one person tames the mouse first it could cause problem if more than 1 person repeatedly sticks their own hand in the cage.

Moonlite Faery
October 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Ill add my two cents, but Blessed, you coverd it pretty good :) I used to breed mice as pets when I was younger, and if you want to keep the mice in your room, definately get females. Males have a musk scent, and it stinks! They will spray all over and they can get teritorial, but they can be sweet!
I had my females in a 3 story wire cage, and they loved it! When they had babies I had to cover it in a mesh that was kind of like screen door material to keep them from escaping..hehe...and it is always good to handle them a lot and give them tons of love! Another great thing to give your mice would be a suppliment called Green Mush, you mix it with water or juice to make a mush and it has so many vital nutrients and they love it! Hope this helps out!

October 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
I had a pet mouse crap on my head when I was younger. :( :) lol.

October 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
I have a love hate relationship with them.... they're cute... as long as they're FAR away from me. I freak out and turn into a total spaz around them. :geez:

October 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
I had a pet mouse crap on my head when I was younger. :( :) lol.

lol. Well that isn't as bad as my sister. When she was younger (and stupider) her and her friend took a pet mouse and put it in their mouths! It almost tried to climb down their thoats. Eeek!

Now I must say, mice are really clean--- they clean themselves all the time (some even get obsessed about it) BUT their feet are not clean. And well there is droppings all over that their feet touch. And feet touched their mouths. :sick:

I can't imagine what they would have to do if it did get too close down their thoats-- scary!:foh:

October 4th, 2005, 02:04 AM
If you get a wheel make sure its solid and doesnt have the bars. The ones with bars are bad for any rodent.

October 4th, 2005, 02:11 AM
You have a cat,and you want a mouse?

:hehehehe: ,Tabitha my cat would go balistic if she saw a mouse,the poor thing would die of fright at the sight of my cat

October 4th, 2005, 02:14 AM
If you get a wheel make sure its solid and doesnt have the bars. The ones with bars are bad for any rodent.

Yeah the "Super Silent Spinner" Wheel has no bars and is actually silent!
It has ball-bearing technology to keep it quiet.

Two mice can run on it at the same time, mine do it all the time.

only draw back: dropping get stuck in there and stepped on. So cleaning is needed frequently.

You can find it at Petsmart, link: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441807874&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026408&bmUID=1128406389112

The first wheel I got them was a mini-wire one. It squeaked so much and didn't work for them.
I only put it in there if they are having a "fight" over the other.

October 4th, 2005, 02:18 AM
You have a cat,and you want a mouse?

:hehehehe: ,Tabitha my cat would go balistic if she saw a mouse,the poor thing would die of fright at the sight of my cat

My four cats recation to the mice--

Mulder: interest-- I let him watch them only if he is supervised (he can't get in to the cage at all)
Fitty: Paranoid and FEAR! (seriously)
k2: wtf? ..then walks away
Abyss: *stares*

Coco, the Dog: excited and curious

People have rodents and dogs/cats/snakes/etc all the time-- it's not a problem as long as you keep the mice protected and safe.

And no, the mice will not die at the sight of a cat. Mine have seen all four as well as the dog and nothing happened. They don't really think like that.