PDA

View Full Version : Do #s have meaning

ANUR36
November 29th, 2001, 09:29 PM
I met a guy that pointed out to me that the date we met and the dates of both of our births, no matter wich way u figure it add up to eather 6, 8, 10, or 7.... do you think there is "meaning" in numbers (such as cases like this)??????

ReverendAJS
November 30th, 2001, 12:55 AM
and since you posted it in this particular forum, I'm going to chime in here, as the significance of numbers is a subject close to my heart.
First of all, if you aren't familiar with Fibonacci numbers, Lucas nubers, parabolas, things like that, I do highly reccomend that you do a little looking on those subjects. VERY facinating, in that seemingly boring sets of numbers with a simple mathematical process are found throughout nature and what we would normally call "coincidence".
About your particular post, I'll be honest, I'm really not sure what you're talking about. What do you mean about the dates adding up? Do they all add up to one of those four numbers or all four? I'm confused, but I'll try to answer based on what I think you're saying. Numbers and coincidence play a very important role, IMO, in our daily lives. The practice of numerology is very old and very interesting. Cultures around the world ascribe significance to the day/month/year/moon/season... you were born. Natural phenomena such as lunar and solar cycles, the related tidal cycles, planetary rotation, heck even the motion of the universe itself are bound to have profound impact on our lives. As human beings we assign numbers to these phenomena. These numbers relate to each other in a very real way. I'd say if you have a strong numeric connection with somebody, that in itself would be significant. On a more personal note, you wouldn't be asking unless this person already had some significance for you. This question you're posting here you already have an answer to. Go with that.
Reverend aJS

ANUR36
November 30th, 2001, 12:02 PM
If its okay with you Reverend I would like to find the letter with the additions on it and show you a few of them to get your opinion. Its a bit hard for me to explain without having it in front of me for referece. Is that okay? If you dont mind me asking how is this close to your heart? Is this something you study?

Illuminatus
November 30th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Uh... dude...

40% of ALL numbers add up to 6, 8, 1 or 7.

There are only ten 1-digit numbers.

It's coincidence.

Illuminatus
November 30th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Actually, let's go into some probabalities.

1) Given that 40% of all numbers add up to 6, 8, 1 or 7 when boiled down to a single digit

and

2) You have three given dates that can be represented as a single-digit number

What are the odds that both 1 and 2 are true?

The answer...

.4 ^ 3 = .4 x .4 x .4 = .064 or 6.4% odds, or a little better than 1 in 20.

Which is almost the same odds of my uncle having 4 children and them all being girls (heh poor guy)... which is represented as

.5 ^4 = .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 = .0625 or 6.25%.

So you know.

- Illuminatus

ReverendAJS
November 30th, 2001, 12:23 PM
well that's about where my math skills end. Although I wish I understood numbers like that. Yes I do study nubers and their relations to the natural world, but I'm not mathematician, I'm an artist. I did pretty poorly on math in school, so I find it odd that I would want to badly to understand them now. Whatever, we can't pick what we're drawn towards I guess.
Reverend aJS

ReverendAJS
November 30th, 2001, 12:26 PM
oh and what's with the HUGE signature? :D

ANUR36
November 30th, 2001, 04:54 PM
So I like big things!!!

ANUR36
November 30th, 2001, 04:59 PM
BTW, I am a WOMAN not a dude.........
being that Im no "mathmatician" I didnt know that. Geez, I feel naive....... n.e ways thanx for the info........

Ready for the HUGE signature...........

ANUR36
November 30th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Better??

ReverendAJS
November 30th, 2001, 07:46 PM
I've always thought that "dude" was an asexual pronoun.

ANUR36
December 3rd, 2001, 06:05 PM
Not in my book.......not in the dictionary either.....

dude [dood ] (plural dudes) noun (slang)

1. man: a man or boy He's one cool dude. Hey, dude, what's up?

2. city dweller vacationing out west: a resident of the urban eastern seaboard who vacations on a dude ranch in the west, or who moves out west to work or live "A new word has been coined. It is d-u-d-e It has sprung into popularity within the last two weeks." Brooklyn Daily Eagle (February 15, 1883)

3. flashily dressed man: a man who wears flashy, highly stylish clothes

[Late 19th century. Origin uncertain: perhaps from a German dialect word meaning "fool."]

ReverendAJS
December 3rd, 2001, 06:12 PM
C'mon! What happened to the vernacular? Doesn't slang count for anything anymore? I'm going to start the United Council for the Prevention of Discrimination Against Slang, or maybe the Slang Anti-Defamation League. Anybody want to join?
Rev.

Chibi-Fallon
December 3rd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Dude!:eek: A dude is everybody! And what nerd says "dudes"? If I ever hear anyone say that I swear to God I will hunt them down and eat their brains like in "Hannibal". Well, maybe that's a slight overreaction... slight. I'll just sick :uzi: <- this dude on ya.
Dude's for everyone and everything. Dude's also an interjection. Man, that dictionary is f-ed up. And only the Ninja Turtles are allowed say "dudette" and even they shouldn't say it. See what happens when you touch toxic waste! ;)

ANUR36
December 3rd, 2001, 09:04 PM
<~~~~~~~ Not everyone......................;)

Illuminatus
December 4th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by ANUR36
<~~~~~~~ Not everyone......................;)

Whatever, dude!

Illuminatus
December 4th, 2001, 12:52 AM
And you're welcome. For the explanation by the way. You don't need to be a mathematician or a male to grasp the prob & stat basics I learned in high school.

- Ill

ANUR36
December 4th, 2001, 12:11 PM
I ask that you dont call me that. Thanx! :)

mol
December 6th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Well, numbers...at least binary...are very close to me and my Path. You might want to find a thread called "A Binary Spirit" which is in Magick and Rituals I believe.

Or dont...whatever.

ANUR36
December 6th, 2001, 08:04 PM
I havnt read the whole threads but so far its very interesting.. I printed it out and will read it at home tonight after my wee one goes to bed.... Thanx!

BTW, great song!

Xander67
December 10th, 2001, 10:56 PM
ok, I am afraid I must take a break from my journey and reply to this most interesting thread

numbers are a left brain aspect
art is a right brain aspect

most people would consider MUSIC a right brain activity,
however,

one day, as Pythagoras was walking along in the town, he happened to hear the sound of a blacksmith's hammer and noticed how different hammers made different sounds...one hammer produced a sound that was "out of harmony" Pythagoras Immediately ran to investigate,,, he examined the hammers and weighed each one, he OBSERVERVED that the hammers that were half the weight or quarter the weight, etc (2 /4/6/8 ths and so on) produced a harmonious sound ...the one that was not in harmony was not in the sequence of weights in relation to the hammers.......

IM NOT MAD LOL this is what Pythagoras discovered, and that led to further discoveries of how numbers DO in fact relate to NATURE , ART, Music......

this was a most mind blowing revelation, to even think that something could have been right and left brained, yin AND yang
could get one jailed or worse in those days....

it is also relavant here to point out , PYTHAGORAS was one of the most INFLUENTIAL mystics of his day, and yet he also contributed to science...... it is Ironic how some of the most revolutionary "revelations " (discoveries) in science , are credited to Visionaries, or Mysitics if you will, I like the term Esoteric Scientist :)

Well I thought i would put my penny's worth......
OH REV>>>>>>> I have an interesting thought i will post in the cyberspace thread we started a while back LOL

but back to the topic,
NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS

oh Ill,
I think it is also fair to say that there are in fact 20 one digit numbers if you include (as we must) the Negative numbers and while we are at it, did you all know that the square root of -4 is 2i??? yes mathematicians grabbed an immaginary number to represnt the square root of 4 in this brain twister, it was also the basis and foundation for higher math, (algebra, geometry, etc)

Happy holidays by the way

Myst
December 11th, 2001, 01:03 AM
And when was the last time you added up the digits of your birthdate or any other date and came up with a negative or imaginary number Xander :D

Xander67
December 11th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Brain Teasers!

ok, Sips my wake me Juice, (Thats coffee for all you oranges out there, I dance with apples by the way LOL)

OKOKOK

My reference to negative digits was merely intended to illustrate that , although we dont normally use them in such matters as birth date and personal numbers and the like,

Physicists of the early pre modern era, must have had some type of foreknowledge to lobby them into public acceptance in the halls of accademia...

they are taught to elementary schoolchildren

and then later on, in high school when that child gets old enough to get a job, he/she then is given a first hand look at one of the most fundamental yet basic examples of ecconimics.

you work, and the boss tallys up your time, and then pays you based on how many hours you work..........come pay day, you are OWED money, and your paycheck is settlement on that debt...

therefore, negative numbers do have a place, the introduction of negative numbers in society and the subsequent invention of Ecommerce paved the way for companies like Macy's, JC Penny's, WALMART, and Victoria secret...to get RICHER by catering to our impulsive shopping habbits LOL

Illuminatus
December 11th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Myst
And when was the last time you added up the digits of your birthdate or any other date and came up with a negative or imaginary number Xander :D

He's just busting my balls ;)

Next he's going to tell me that he's using a special hexadecimal calendar so that there are 16 one digit numbers (0 through A).

Although that's not so far off, considering the Discordian calendar uses decimal numbering system, but groups by five's.

- Ill

Illuminatus
December 11th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Xander67
therefore, negative numbers do have a place, the introduction of negative numbers in society and the subsequent invention of Ecommerce paved the way for companies like Macy's, JC Penny's, WALMART, and Victoria secret...to get RICHER by catering to our impulsive shopping habbits LOL

Negative numbers do ineed have a place. Negative numbers fall within the scope of "Real" numbers.

But Imaginary ones don't. Imaginary numbers (which have a component of i) really don't come into play until you get into the really theoretical end of physics.

Or sometimes they are used to build intermediary functions which are used to numericly represent certain waveforms that do occur naturally (for instance, a really bizarre sin wave frequency coming off a circuit might be broken down into the sum of several other functions, two of which have imaginary components which cancell, but this would only be done to factor them out so they cancell back into normal, real numbers).

However, I can assure you, jag, you will never get a paycheck for $-451i.

- Ill

Xander67
December 11th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Next he's going to tell me that he's using a special hexadecimal calendar so that there are 16 one digit numbers (0 through A).

woah, what a concept!

imaginary numbers as promisary notes, sonds like a cosmic con artist if you ask me LOL

Illuminatus
December 11th, 2001, 05:52 PM
imaginary numbers as promisary notes, sonds like a cosmic con artist if you ask me LOL

Heh yep. I'll pay you $500,000 Imaginary money for your car Xander. How bout it?

Xander67
December 12th, 2001, 12:38 AM
noooooooo Ill,
I wasnt calling YOU a cosmic con artist LOL
I was making a joke LOL

my car? $500,00i??? if you can get the thing runnning its all yours, LOL it needs a new head

Starlight
December 12th, 2001, 02:41 PM
We were talking about something like this the other day in my math class. It was " How #'s have genders and Letters have numerical value" It was pretty cool! :D

Xander67
December 12th, 2001, 02:57 PM
and Just what type of Math class was that? LOL they never taught Esoteric Algebra in my school, (at least publicly anyways) ;)

Starlight
December 12th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Well If you had the crazy nut for a teacher like I have you'd learn more than Math in that class! :lol: He's a riot!

Xander67
December 12th, 2001, 03:08 PM
a teacher that actually knows how to teach and inspire young minds, now there is a true rarity, it looks to me like he has gotten lost of "apples" in his day.....

dont scare him off!
LOL

Starlight
December 12th, 2001, 03:12 PM
He gets alot more wisecracks than apples. But he likes a kid with wits more than food! :lol:

Xander67
December 12th, 2001, 07:39 PM
ut oh, Star LOL :eek: you might want to take a read at Kalara's survey thread in Just talk on that note :T

Starlight
December 13th, 2001, 08:03 AM
:rolleyes:

Xander67
December 18th, 2001, 01:41 PM
here is one to ponder,

the zodiac has 12 houses
our year has 12 months

7 days in the week each one named after one of the
7 visable planets ....(the others werent discovered untill later)

our day is made up of 2...... 12 hour periods

12 tribes of Juda

12 deciples

in school you graduate high school after you finish 12th grade

hmmmm
numbers numbers numbers :)

Starlight
December 18th, 2001, 03:05 PM
*scientific voice* Yeeeees Veeeeeery interesting!! ;)

Illuminatus
December 19th, 2001, 11:55 AM
here is one to ponder,

the zodiac has 12 houses
our year has 12 months

7 days in the week each one named after one of the
7 visable planets ....(the others werent discovered untill later)

our day is made up of 2...... 12 hour periods

12 tribes of Juda

12 deciples

in school you graduate high school after you finish 12th grade

hmmmm
numbers numbers numbers :)

These are just several examples of men drawing upon the natural (the # of visable planets, the # of lunar cycles in a year)... and applying symbolic meaning to them. There's nothing special about the numbers themselves. If Pluto were visable from earth back in the time of ancient greece, we'd have 8 days in a week, and if there were 11 lunar cycles in a year, then the bible would probably be full of 11's.

- Ill

Myst
December 19th, 2001, 12:17 PM
I agree. People tend to like to apply "hidden symbolic" meaning to things and situations. :)

Xander67
December 23rd, 2001, 08:54 PM
Oooooooooo so thats the big secret of the universe that everyone is so hush hush about LOL

numbers, numbers are how we connect , or, bridge the gap between the astral and the physical, woah what a thought :T

Xander67
December 23rd, 2001, 08:56 PM
I agree. People tend to like to apply "hidden symbolic" meaning to things and situations. :)

very true, and I guess I may be "on my own here " by saying that in my observation, it sorta makes some sense, i mean how it is structured, logical, and , well it just works in some cases,,

Starlight
December 23rd, 2001, 09:06 PM
I always just thought that numbers were number and letters were letters!!!!! :wah: I'm confused!!!!! :confused:

Xander67
December 23rd, 2001, 09:16 PM
oh well then sit right down my starry friend, hows this one for confusion, LOL

numbers and letters have a cosmic connection, (Qabbalisticly speaking) but that is a very deep topic and we were only talking about numbers LOL

just thought id blab a bit of rehetoric LOL

Starlight
January 1st, 2002, 07:37 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss!! ooooooooooooooffffffff cooooooooooouuussssseeeeeeee!! *pretends to know what the heck Xander is talkin about* I think from now on I'll stick to the Just Silly Forumn......these ones require intelligence.....of which I have none! :D

Xander67
January 2nd, 2002, 02:54 PM
"BAH HUMBUG" a demented mind is a terrible thing to waiste!

Twilight
January 3rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
well in hebrew, numbers were assigned to letters, just like a=1 and b=2... so certain numbers could be holy, because they transliterated into the name of god or something like that.

Myst
January 3rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
Yes but even then any "holy" meaning is ascribed to the numbers, as the letters are to the numbers, not the other way around.

Xander67
January 3rd, 2002, 08:53 PM
but, but, but................er...........uh

ok what about the corespondeces (the tables)

hmmmm perhaps its not a matter of numbers being assigned to letters or letters being asigned to numbers,

mabey numbers have counterparts in letters?

Myst
January 3rd, 2002, 09:29 PM
what tables?

Xander67
January 3rd, 2002, 10:00 PM
the tables of corespondences...

like associating planets with elements, and numbers,
signs, letters, tarot cards,

(like in astrology)

Twilight
January 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Yes but even then any "holy" meaning is ascribed to the numbers, as the letters are to the numbers, not the other way around.

i think it does go the other way around too! the numbers and the letters in hebrew were the same thing... they didn't have seperate notation. they didn't have to draw a little 2 under the b's, because they know it's the 2nd letter, and the same as 2, if you get me...

Xander67
January 4th, 2002, 08:45 PM
here is a thought...

wonder why there are only 10 single digit numbers
did they just run out of numbers....

or did they try out 11 or 12 first

12 seems a more natural number to have
or am i just being ridiculously off the wall ?

LOL

:D

WetPaperWings
January 5th, 2002, 08:41 PM
You're just being ridiculously off the wall. :p

Actually, I've wondered about that too. Why go by digits of ten? What if ten were really... I dunno, 8! Then the decimals would work better, because 1/4 would be .2 instead of .25. Ooo, the mind boggles. :ahhhh:

Myst
January 6th, 2002, 01:10 AM
We have many number systems, the most common go by 2, 8, 10, or 16. Yes there actually is a number system that uses base 8 instead of 10; it's called octal. In fact, 10 in decimal is 12 in octal, and 8 in decimal is 10 in octal.

Keep in mind that there weren't always 12 months or hours in a day (or night).

Also keep in mind that a lot of "meanings" have been attributed - at no time did some omnipotent deity go "hey, and 3 is a holy # because of maiden, mother, crone, or God, Goddess, All" or "hey call these shoes ok?". Everything is derived from some guy somewhere.

Sounds pessimistic but I can see why a lot of nonbelievers think we're cracked. :)

Illuminatus
January 7th, 2002, 03:39 PM
We have 10 fingers, silly. So that's when we reset the first digit.

Some cultures don't even have a numerical system like that... I know that in Farsi (also called Persian, the language spoken in Pakistan and Afghanistan)... every number from 1 to 80 is a unique word. Whereas French and English have unique words up to the mid-teens.. Eleven, Twelve.. and then fall into a set format... Thir - Teen, Four - Teen, Vingt et Un, Vingt et Deux, et cetera.

Computers are binary beasts, so their code is always reflected in powers of 2. You need to use base 2, or base 4 (2^2), or base 8, octal (2^3) or Hexadecimal which is most common (2^4). 2^n are the only numerical systems where computer data is displayed pretty-like.

Granted, you can write any number in ANY base system. 14 in decimal looks like 20 in base 7. 14 Decimal in Hex looks like E. Yes, because there are 16 symbols in the first digit of a Hex number so it can be 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F... so you get numbers that look like 0x90FF and what not.

mol
January 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
What a thread. :p

amberlaine
January 8th, 2002, 11:33 AM
There is an entire sustem of numerology in the Kabbalah called gematria in which words are all converted to their numerological counterpart. As someone mentioned, in Hebrew letters and numbers are the same thing--they are not separate. Therefore, words that have the same numeric value are considered to be equal.

Gematria, unfortunately, isn't much my thing since I can't read Hebrew (though I"m working on it!) so I can't come up with any great examples at the moment.

Well, here's one:

YHVH is the Divine name--the tetragrammaton. Each letter symbolises something different: Y=father, first H=mother, V=son, last H=daughter (the world). Some Hasidic Jews believe that the daughter, the world, has become separated from the rest of G!D, and that only through kind actions and certain prayers, meditations, etc can the world be reunited with G!D. Without the daughter, the rest of G!D is just called YHV. Now, I don't remember what number that is, but it is the same number as the word "tal" or "dew". Therefore, you will sometimes hear YHV referred to as "the dewy one".

More on this later, must run.

Myst
January 10th, 2002, 11:43 AM
*waiting on more*

My prof made a funny comment Monday on how some people think software development is "magic" - he said some people seem to think we have some great power, and yet, we know it's all 1's and 0's.

Just thought that was interesting and ironic.

amberlaine
January 10th, 2002, 07:35 PM
ACtually, I lied. At the moment, I really don't have much else to say about it :)

Xander67
January 10th, 2002, 07:59 PM
isnt that what magic really is,

INteresting in that is has captivated our curiousity for generations...

and Ironic in that, when you discover what magic is and how it really works, you are shocked to find that it was there all along you were just looking in the wrong places