PDA

View Full Version : Bad bad bad computer

phoenixsong
November 30th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Urghh, does your computer ever seem to have a grudge against you? Tonight, I hadn't been on the internet for a week and had about 45 emails to go through (thankfully most were junky, NEVER thought I'd be glad about junk mail :D). I logged onto the internet, then the computer packed it in (as usual) it did this 4 times though, then told me there was a bad sector on the disk. I had to run Scan disk twice, (first in DOS while the computer was starting up, then in Windows, because the DOS scandisk won't work (not enough memory or something) ).

Believe me, I was ready to start smashing the computer, and while I was waiting for the disk to be checked, I was looking through the classifieds for a new one (really).

Anyone else feel they really hate their computers?

(Also, the screen keeps flickering pink... I really have no idea why!)

ReverendAJS
November 30th, 2001, 07:50 PM
when does your screen flicker? is it consistant when you are performing a certain task? I has a virus once that cause a quick white flash just as you signed on to the internet (back in my dial-up days). The flash was the virus sending itself to everybody in my address book. It did this for a while before I figured it out. No dammage though.

Myst
November 30th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Did you run a full surface scan?

Do you run antivirus software that is updated regularly?

Is it an older hard drive?

There's no need to waste your money on a new computer. At most you may have to pick up a new hard drive, and even that's not necessarily so.

phoenixsong
December 2nd, 2001, 05:29 PM
The flicker doesn't happen at particular times, and it affects the computer from when it starts up and says: IBM whatever year.... in pink letters

I have run a full surface scan (currently I have to do it everyday actually, before and after going on the net) Internet explorer takes up too much memory on the computer and messes it up.

I do think it's another computer I need though: It's only a 486 with 16mb memory, so not the best one around. I think there could possibly be a virus on it, but I don't have anti virus software already installed and I can't install any off CD's because my cd rom drive's driver has stopped working, and been replaced with a generic floppy disk driver, and my WIndows disk is a CD version!

Adrenaline Junkie
December 2nd, 2001, 06:31 PM
My computer also has a grudge against me.

Nothing that serious, but every few minutes, or what seems like it. Errors occur in whatever.dll.

At times it's worse than others.

Myst
December 2nd, 2001, 06:35 PM
I would suggest making a boot disk, formatting, and reloading windows (using that will mean there's a generic driver for your cd rom in dos so you don't need to worry if it's working in windows).

Actually, I didn't realize you had a 486, hehe if upgrading is an option go for it ;)

UnSolon
December 2nd, 2001, 10:42 PM
lol a 486. Dem were the days.

Just think, 30 years ago Billy boy Gates said "6k of ram will be enough for anyone". Boy, times they have a changed.

I understand your 486 woes. I grew up using my dads old commodors (a 486 looks like a supercomputer to these things), back in the day when MS-DOS was a technilogical wonder. And the internt, there was no such thing. I remember when Compuserve was popular, I thought it was so amazing when once I was able to talk to a guy in South America, I was so enthralled. That text messaging on the yellow and black commador screen. That was the begining of my craze with the internet.

*sigh Nastalgia

phoenixsong
December 4th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Ah, old computers! I always seem to end up with ones a few years older than those currently considered old. :D

Anyone remember Spectrums? Had a Commodore 64 too, and a VIC 20, and a Sega Mega Drive I bought for three quid that never worked. Oh, and some really old dawn-of-time-y PC that ran something called Wordstar. It was actually better than Word IMO...

was
January 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
the big bad computer is possed by the devils hahaha!!!