PDA

View Full Version : Request: The BEST macaroni cheese EVER!

mucgwyrt
October 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I LOVE macaroni cheese, but the tinned stuff is really sickly and the powdered stuff is really watery, and the frozen stuff (which used powdered milk) is really gritty :wah:

Can anyone here recommend a killer home-made macaroni cheese recipe? _wiz_

Faery-Wings
October 5th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Sometimes simpler is better. Here is my recipe:

Boil elbows ( I like Barilla, they have ridgies that hold the cheese on them). I usually throw in about 3/4 of a pound. Cut up a chunk of velveeta (processed american cheese). I don't know how much, but guessing about a 1/2 pound or so, maybe more.
After the noodles are boiled, put them in a baking casserole dish. Pour milk on top, cut up about 1/4 to a half stick of butter or margarine, mix that in with the cheese.

Bake it at 325* for ten minutes or so, stir, check to see if it needs more milk, cheese, or butter. Bake and stir until it is nice and bubbly and the consistency you want.

Sorry that my directions are all that precise, it is usually a "throw together and see how it looks" kind of recipe.

I have all the stuff in my house waiting for a cooler day to make with soup for dinner.

Nova
October 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Too bad none of my family recipes are simple...

I have one where you start with a blonde roux and fusili. It's got sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and fontina. You bake it with a parmesan and spiced crumb mixture. BUT I seem to have lost the recipe...

Fortunately I found a cool one on the foodnetwork website. It's different cheese and a bechamel, but probably as good... well a chef did it, so probably better.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20042,00.html (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20042,00.html)

^ sometimes the foodtv website is slow so give it a minute.

MoonDust
October 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
My family loves this recipe.

1 bag Macaroni
1 thing of Velveeta
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of asparagus soup

*cook up macaroni
* add the rest of the stuff
*salt & pepper to taste
* stir until its all melted and yummy. If you wanted a bit crispy you can put it in the oven for about 10 min or so uncovered.

Sounds kinda funny with the soups but I promise it is soooo yummy!

spooky
October 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM
i make it like this:

elbow noodles
sharp cheddar cheese
parmesean
milk
butter

chopped onion, red pepper, tomato (without the watery goop in the middle. sqeeze it out.) and maybe jalepeno

jut make the noodles and set them aside.
melt the butter in the pan and add the cheese, just eye it to make sure it is the right amount. add milk to thin the consistency. toss in the veggies to soften them.

yummy! i haven't tried it with mozzerella, but i bet it would be REALLY good too. add a squeeze or two of lemon in that case

Driffinna
October 5th, 2005, 10:36 PM
if I want mac and cheese, but don't feel like cooking much, just make some pasta. Then take milk and cheese (whatever kind of you want, cheddar doesn't melt terribly well in the microwave for some reason you might want to use the stove for that one) and melt it together in the microwave, wisk it with a fork. You can add as much cheese or milk as you need to make it the consistancy you want. You can even add a little butter in if you want. Toss the pasta in and done you have mac and cheese. And always tastes good to me.

mucgwyrt
October 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Ahhh I see... melt cheese, mix with milk, add pasta - gotcha :D Thanks everyone!!

Lilith Morgaine
July 27th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Boston Chicken Macaroni & Cheese
3 Cups Dry spiral−shaped pasta, Cook al dente, drain
2/3 Cup Milk (2% or regular)
1 Pound Velveeta cheese, light or
Cubed small
1/4 Teaspoon Dry mustard powder
1/2 Teaspoon Ground turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
Place into top of double boiler over gently simmering water milk, cheese,
mustard powder, turmeric, salt and pepper in that order. Stir with whisk
occasionally until melted and smooth. Stir pasta into hot cheese mixture and
keep hot until serving time over hot water, up to an hour. (If it begins to
thicken up too much, dilute with a little milk). Never put into oven or over
direct heat as it will scorch and change the texture to a sticky mess.

KFC Macaroni & Cheese

Here's a clone for another of KFC's famous side dishes.
We'll use easy-to-melt Velveeta, with its very smooth
texture, as the main ingredient for the cheese sauce.
Then a bit of cheddar cheese is added to give the sauce
a sharp cheddary zing like the original. It's a very simple
recipe that will take only 15 minutes to prepare. That's
great news if you're a lazy cook like me who wants to dig right
into the tasty vittles. Weeell doggies!

6 cups water
1 1/3 cups elbow macaroni
4 ounces Velveeta cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Bring water to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan.
Add elbow macaroni to the water and cook it for 10 to 12 minutes
or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. While the macaroni is boiling, prepare the cheese sauce by
combining the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over
low heat. Stir often as the cheese melts into a smooth consistency.

3. When the macaroni is done, strain it and then pour it back into
the same pan, without the water.
4. Add the cheese sauce to the pan and stir gently until the
macaroni is well coated with the cheese. Serve immediately while hot.
Makes about 3 servings.

banondraig
July 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
i just use the box kind, and use half the amount of butter they recommend, and no milk at all. if i don't let the butter melt in the pot too much, it comes out nice and sticky.

imapepper
July 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
i just use the box kind, and use half the amount of butter they recommend, and no milk at all. if i don't let the butter melt in the pot too much, it comes out nice and sticky.

That's what I do too! Comes out perfect, not watery, and super cheesy.

:hahugh:

blueangel
August 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Ahhh I see... melt cheese, mix with milk, add pasta - gotcha :D Thanks everyone!!

Don't forget to thicken the milk mixture or it'll be all runny! you can do this by mixing a tablespoon or so of plain flour with a little milk until it's a smooth runny paste. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk through, when you heat the milk it will thicken. You need to bring it to a boil for it to thicken properly.

You can add chopped tomatoes, ham/bacon, peas and sweetcorn to make it extra tasty.

MMMMmmmm, now i've got a craving started!

Yengol
August 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM
What I do for my macaroni cheese, is make a roux using butter and flour, then add some milk to it to make a white sauce. I also put in a finely grated onion, mustard and nutmeg for extra bite.

Once the sauce has thickened I stir in some cheddar and parmesan cheese. Then mix the sauce and the macaroni together, some diced bacon can be good too.

My preference is to put the whole lot under the grill with a topping of grated cheddar till the cheese browns, but some people stick it in the oven with a mixture of parmesan and breadcrumbs on top.

Hope this helps :)

demonique
August 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
My favorite recipe calls for a basic white sauce, to which I add onion (or, more often, since I'm lazy and onion chopping makes me cry, onion powder), velveeta, cheddar (lots of both), and of course, cooked macaroni.

Then I toss it in the oven topped with more cheddar and, the secret ingredient, italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Oh yum. Now I want some.

Lunacie
August 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM
We love mac and cheese but can't make the baked kind except when the weather is cooler here (I try not to use the oven much when it's hot). I like the box mixes for convenience but don't care for the taste so I add half a cup of sour cream instead of milk and butter. But if I'm making the Real Deal I like to use half Velveeta type cheese (usually store brand) and half shredded cheddar.

Seren_
September 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I just use the cans of condensed soup to make the sauce - a can of mushroom, sometimes a can of asparagus, both work well.

I fry up some onions, leek and garlic in the pan, add the soup, and then as much cheese and a little milk as seems necessary (to help stop the sauce getting too thick). I tend to go for a mild cheese, like cheddar, and a generous teaspoon of mustard powder gives it a nice kick. Then I mix the pasta in and top it with grated cheese, bread crumbs and if I have some, a bit of parmesan for a bit of kick.

It works well with cauliflower, too.