PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my Oil based paint!??!

LadyTrinity
October 16th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Mixed Oil based paint with a drop of water ( was supposed to be an actual technique) but yellow in perticular almost turns to a powder and it warps the paint bristles. Why would it not affect the other colours?
Any advice?

KEishin
October 17th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Mixed Oil based paint with a drop of water ( was supposed to be an actual technique) but yellow in perticular almost turns to a powder and it warps the paint bristles. Why would it not affect the other colours?
Any advice?

It sounds like there's a an issue with the binder (the stuff that keeps the pigment together). It could be just a fluke, or it could be the type of yellow you're using. Which is what, btw? (Yellow cadmium, yellow ochre, barium, etc)

Jenne
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I was going to say--sounds like your yellow had a chemical that reacts badly to water...get a new yellow and ask the art store what they recommend to use to thin it out.

medit8ive_spirit
October 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Lady Trinity, was the paint household, decorative or artists' paint?

The bristles, if made of natural hair, may have warped because they swell. This happens with hog-hair brushes a lot. Did you leave it in a jar with water for a long time?

My hubby is an artist and can answer better after knowing what type of paint you are referring to, especially if it was artists' grade paint(i.e.-Old Holland, Winsor and Newton, etc., just to name a few).