PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Fun!

mato
December 6th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Has any one else noticed the libral use of the elements in super hero cartoons? Looking back on it I see that the elements were always present in groups of four or five. This is best shown (and least disguised) in the cartoon Captin Planet were the Planetiars had rings of five elements which when combined released a sixth and were guided by a seventh (these two being alot like yin/yang).
In other cartoons (and some kiddy shows such as Power Rangers) such as Vultron (I dont remember the cartoon very well but I still have the blue cat in my room) yet again I see the five elements, which are equals in the show. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (RULE!) the four elements (donatelo earth, leanardo water, michalangelo air, raphiel fire) are guided by the fifth (splinter spirit), which is (in the first movie) enfasised with the blue flame.

Looking back (or whatever) do you see any cartoons that used the elements?

SPLINTERRRRRR!!!!!!

Ok splinter is my favorite rat but leanardo is was and always will be my favorite turtle. He was the only one that used the swords ya have to love him, or he will cut you down. :)

MammaStar
December 6th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Ugh, Captain Planet. Waayyyyyyy too Preachy for me.

Anyhoo, who was the turtle that Corey Feldman did the voice for in the movie? That's the one I like.

rainmaker
December 6th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Donatello by far. :D I loved the TMNT comix that they used to put out a while back. It gave the story a darker feel.

rainmaker

Flaire-FireStar
December 7th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Leonardo all the way... :D

StormChaser
December 8th, 2001, 08:04 PM
I dunno, i like the one who likes pizza, and the one with the green mask.

I only liked the russian girl on Capt. Planet.. She was hot.

Gaia wasn't bad either.

hehe

Siren
December 8th, 2001, 08:55 PM
gotta go with Rafael....(the "bad boy turtle")

and hey, loved wheeler on Captain planet....

anyone see Biker MIce from Mars....? that was a wicked cartoon....gotta love Vinny....*grin*

Adrenaline Junkie
December 8th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Rapheal rocks! GOOOOO red :D

He was red, right?

I liked the red one.

Whatever happened to that female purple turtle that came along later...whats the story with her?

Flaire-FireStar
December 9th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Gah! If I could remember some of these old TV char names, I'd have a good memory.. But from Captain Planet, my fave was the Asian girl..

Yeah, I remember Biker Mice from Mars too... My fave on there was the white mouse.... (Yes, my memory is good!)

StormChaser
December 9th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Biker mice from mars.. was that the one where the evil villian smelled of some rotten type of cheese? it was set in some funky dirty nyc bronx type city?

SimplyStrange
December 9th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Michaelangelo!

I know exactly what you mean about Captain Planet...And Gaia(sp?) was their leader! :D

Oh and does anyone remember Attack of the Killer Tomatoes??? Hee :D:D That has nothing to do with the elements, but I just HAD to mention it!

Oh and Voltron was the greatest! In fact, Power Rangers is like, a complete rip off of Voltron... :mad:

G.I.Joe rocked! He-Man! Oh, and Transformers. :p :p

Aah...the good ol' cartoons...

mato
December 9th, 2001, 04:15 AM
lol, ya i know as was the entire super teen martial artists in tights thing they did a while back, I have seen worse rip offs though, and vultron was a rip off of the earlier anima (?) when it wasnt cool...

mysticvik
December 9th, 2001, 10:34 AM
and i called him Ratpheal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twig
December 9th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Sorry I was already out of the army and married when they came out. Now start talking Johney Quest and I'll wake up!

Peace,
Twig
:elf;

mato
December 9th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Twig
Sorry I was already out of the army and married when they came out. Now start talking Johney Quest and I'll wake up!

Peace,
Twig
:elf;

Who? *digs out ancient studdies book* :confused:

All kidding aside, I have never heard of him (it? was it the name of the cartoon?) but feel free to add anything related to the elements you found in your generations cartoons.

MammaStar
December 9th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Johnny Quest! ugh, hated that cartoon. LOL. G-Force, now there's a cartoon. and of course, Scooby Doo

SimplyStrange
December 9th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Johnny Quest!!! That was my mom's favorite cartoon when she was growing up (although she wasn't really allowed to watch much TV). Ah, Johnny Quest...hee...

My favorite was Race. He kicked arse! And Haji...and Johnny was alright.. :D

Cartoons are no good anymore...unless you want to count the Simpsons and Futurama, but they aren't really kids shows (although I've been watching the Simpsons since forever) But then again, my opinion could've changed...but it's like this: people are so worried about what their kids see on TV (although I never once considered going to war and fighting off the Cobras because G.I.Joe did it) that they've taken off anything that could even remotely be an influence...*sigh* I think I'm going to go to a video store and buy all the old episodes of G.I.Joe and Ren and Stimpy for my kids to watch later on...

Psyche Ague
December 13th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Sometimes I really appreciate watching all those bloody cartoons when I was little!!!

I loved Captain Planet and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which is really hard to say when you're little and usually comes out a bunch of mush)!!!

My favorite turtle was Leo and my favorite person on Captain Planet was the water chick. Wasn't that the Asian girl? Both girls on that show were hot. ;)

I misses me cartoons. :(

Haedis
December 13th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Rafael all the way. And I love Captain Planet! I havent seen it in about four years so i dont remember much of it but i do recall the elements and I thought it was really cool. hehe I liked the blonde girl...there was a blonde girl right? she was Wind wasnt she? i dont think they had Air...if i remember it was Wind.

licourtrix
December 13th, 2001, 09:02 PM
I had to vote Donatello. I always have a weakness for the nerdy ones :D

Anyway, all this talk about Captain Planet and the Planeteers made me go take a looksee at the website for it. I never realized back then that so many of the voices were famous. Kwame's voice was LeVar Burton, Gaia's first voice was Whoopi Goldberg, and a bunch of the villians had famous people voicing them (Sting, Jeff Goldblum, Martin Sheen). I also now notice that Dr. Blight looks an awful lot like Martha Stewart... :eek:

mato
December 14th, 2001, 12:39 AM
:lol: ya now that you mention it she does...

Sequoia
December 17th, 2001, 06:10 AM
(puma's friend) oh no, you've gone and asked her this. . . run while you can. Don't say I didn't warn you!! (/puma's friend)

:wah: I HATE MY LITTLE BROTHER!!

HE *NEVER* LET ME BE LEONARDO!!! I *ALWAYS* HAD TO BE APRIL BECAUSE I'M A *GIRL* ((SOB CRY)) IT'S NOT FAIR I WANTED TO PLAY LEONARDO!!!!!!! *CRY SOB* WAAAH IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!

. . . *sniff* and now I'm "too old" to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. *sniff cry*

licourtrix
December 17th, 2001, 06:30 AM
*gasp* Don't say that. You're never too old to play pretend, many older people still do... they just call it roleplaying now :D You just have to find some friends who are willing to play along with you (it's not as much fun when you're playing such things by yourself).

I used to have a TMNT board game around somewhere.. you had to run around as on of the turtles in the sewers.. and I remember something about cards you had to draw and what not, but I don't remember it exactly. I wonder what happened to it *looks around sadly, then gives up*

Personally I really liked the animal dudes later on in the comic. Does anyone else remember those guys? I don't even remember their names, but there was a gekko, a cheetah, a bat with a bug sidekick.. and a few others that I don't remember what they were.

mato
December 17th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Oh OH a rabbit and a polar bear I still have the polar bear in my toy box (which is now in the basement which is being flooded) and I think the rabbit melted somewere and I had to toss him. I thought there were others, the bad guyss they had alot of em over there, two snapping turtles, the movie one and the comic one, one wolf though... ah well they were all cool... Shoot I cant remember all the ones we had, that sucks.

Flaire-FireStar
December 28th, 2001, 02:53 AM
hehe.. While listening to carols on the radio, behold - Alvin & the Chipmunks comes on... I have their movie (or one of them, if there's more than one :D), but was this show ever popular?? If so, when, cuz I don't remember at all.. :lol: (I just find them incredibly annoying >_< )

Xander67
December 28th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Totally Michaelangelo!

I voting Blue this time :):):):):)

Alaiyo
December 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM
hehe.. While listening to carols on the radio, behold - Alvin & the Chipmunks comes on... I have their movie (or one of them, if there's more than one :D), but was this show ever popular?? If so, when, cuz I don't remember at all.. :lol: (I just find them incredibly annoying >_< )

Depends on who you are and how old you are. During the late 50s and 60s, they were quite popular and had little appearances on different shows not unlike Jim Henson's early muppets. The popularity spawned the tv series which lasted about a year and did not get great ratings. It gained a following in syndication.

I saw this one. It was called "The Alvin Show." We of course saw it in syndication since my mother was not yet a teenager when it originally aired. I remember us being geeked about matching up the songs on the 45 she had to the actual episodes. One side had the Christmas Song and the other had a song from Spain, where Alvin was supposed to sing but hte orchestra does not give him a chance until the very end-when the performance is over.
My favorite episode or rather, the one that sticks with me is when Alvin and the gang travel to Japan and while Dave is telling them about Japan, Alvin wants a banana. Dave tells him that there are no bananas in Japan. The rest of the episode is spent with Alvin, Simon and Theodore going around to the unsuspecting Japanese citizens singing, "Will you give me Japanese banana" in that pseudo-stereotypical twangy Asian music style. They even had "the walk" and the "honourable sans" stuff. I remembered thinking, 'yeah, never would have made it on air today."
The Alvin Show alsoi featured Professor Crash cup and his sidekick Leonardo. I think he was supposed to be the absent minded nutty professor on acid. I don't have strong memories of those segments. I remember that my best friend at the time liked it more that I did. I do remember that Leonardo always whispered to the Professor and was the one with the common sense.

The second show is the one that came about because of the Chipmunk Christmas movie.

I remember the movie because it:
A) Came on after NBC had their holiday special which was hosted by Melissa "Laura Ingalls Wilder" Gilbert and Dean "Almanzo Wilder" Butler. I think both were in their late teens-at least Melissa was.
B) It was kind of cute
C) Alvin singing at the end of the show they were performing "Don't forget your presents for me-ee" to the tune of Deck the Halls. The Chipmunks were singing "Deck the Halls" and Alvin being Alvin, added that bit at the end, much to the mortification of Dave.

I remember that the series came on after Mr. T (he actually guest starred on it) and before Kidd Video. It was all right. Ross Bagdasarian's son and his wife were two of the producers. It became more boring and formulaic as the years dragged on. The Chipettes were a cute concept at the time when they were introduced but after a while their stories centered on what a complete loser Jeannette was and adding the woman that was the fatter and older Mrs. Garrett also did not help.

I think that the Chipmunks should have stopped with the end of the series but then there were all those direct to video movies...yeah. Best forgotten.

I also remember that they had actual record albums. They even had a country on where Alvin sings about being an urban cowboy or something to that effect.

Alaiyo
December 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
I liked Donatello in the first cartoon series and the relationship between Michaelangelo and Raphael in the original comics.

I have not been home on Saturdays enough to see the new series for any length of time but I like what I see so far.

Alaiyo
December 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_All-Stars_to_the_Rescue