PDA

View Full Version : Soup for the Dead.

evie_mun
October 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM
A friend of mine made this last night for a Day of the Dead celebration I went to. It's great soup, especially to warm those kiddies up before you send them off trick or treating!

1 lb. boneless stewing pork, cut in 1 inch cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. water
2 Tbsp. veg. oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
4 to 6 Ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded*
4 to 6 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 c. (1 can) hominy (not drained)
3 to 4 cups chicken or pork broth (I used the pkg. chicken broth)
garnishes - sliced radishes, shredded lettuce, diced fresh onion, fried corn totilla strips, diced avocado and/or lime quarters.

* - (A note on Ancho peppers: Ancho peppers are dark roasted poblano peppers. The friend who I got this recipe from was given habaneros when she asked for Anchos at a local Mexican grocery store. Fair warning, make sure you know what you're getting! Ancho peppers are very very mild and have a sweet, earthy flavor. If you want your soup to have a little more of a spicy kick to it, I would suggest leaving the seeds in.)

Cover the pork cubes with water; add salt and bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer slowly until barely tender; about 20 minutes. Let pork cool off in the broth, then drain reserving the broth and set the meat aside covered.

Soak the chilies in the reserved warm broth for 20 minutes, add garlic, dried oregano and puree in blender until smooth.

Heat oil in soup pot (Dutch oven) and add diced onion and cook until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add pureed chile mixture, hominy, additional stock and reserved pork.

Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook slowly, uncovered until pork is fork tender, about another 30 minutes. (I cooked it a bit longer) Serve warm with garnishes.