PDA

View Full Version : Going off The Pill & getting pregnant

CajunLady
November 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Okay a few months ago, I was hardcore looking for a way to get birthcontrol. I finally found out that I could get my yearly exam and a year's worth of the pill for only $45 at my local health department. I've been on them since August. Guess what? I took my last one this past Saturday. We're planning on trying for our 2nd (my 3rd) and final baby. I've been doing a lot of reading about going off the Pill and getting pregnant. Most articles I've read said that it takes 2-3 months others say 6 months. My worries aren't that I won't get pregnant. My worries are how long it's going to take. It might be a silly reason, but here it is....I am going to be 29 in Febuary. I'm not worried about being 29 and pregnant. I'm worried about doing it after I'm 30. I told Shawn that if we were going to have another child, I wanted it to be by the time I'm 30. If I were to get pregnant this month, that baby would be born next August, right before Tera turned 4 and a few months before I turn*gulp* 30. I'm also worried about the age difference between Tera and the next one. I honestly don't want more that 4 years between them...less that that would have been better, but alas, too late obviously. Okay back to my original reason for posting this....has anyone gotten off of The Pill to try to get pregnant? How long were you on the pill and how long did it take you to concieve? I was on them for only 3 months, so I'm hoping it won't take long. I mean I'm ready for the possibility that I might not get pregnant until next spring. But I would love to see it happen by the end of this year!!! LOL Am I hoping for too much there? Even though I've just gotten off of BC, I am charting my possible fertile days. Should I wait to do this once I've had a period without being on the pill? Do you think it'll be any harder for me to concieve at 28 than it did when I was 24?

Thanks!!

HorseCrow
November 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Well, there is some disagreement, but some studies actually claim that having been on the Pill and then going off and straight to TTC increases odds, because the pill has "evened out" the hormonal balance.

Why are you worried about having a baby after you've turned 30?!?

Astara Seague
November 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I missed only one day and got pregnant with my daughter, I have heard iit doesnt take that long!! good luck!:nicetie:

EternalMaiden
November 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Well, the fact that you were hardpressed for cash only a few months ago worries me for you...But I'm sure you'll manage. You have a beautiful daughter as is, but the more the merrier!

Did you know that yesterday was the 45th anniversary for birth control?
Hah, 45 years...

Well, Congradulations on the big news!
I hope you're like the ladies above me and have no problem getting pregnant.

Damn you women are brave.

fahawk
November 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
For me..they said something about 'wating" to have a few 'regular' cycles???..but we didnt..after stopping the pill..preg happened quickly-
good luck:)

Rowan MoonDragon
November 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
I was on the pill for 6 years before my first daughter and 10 years before my second. With both of my daughters I got pregnant right away...within the first couple of weeks. But everyone is different. I have heard though, that you should wait a couple of cycles but it didn't really cause any problems with my kids or me. I suggest talking to your doctor.

Autumn
November 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
First Don't worry about being pregnant after 30, I had both my daughters one at 30 one at 33 and now I'm having my last at 38! Two natural births with no drugs and no problems per say.

At 30 I went off the pill and didn't try until I'd had a "normal" non pill period which happened to take 45 days. I succeeded the first time I tried. The second time I missed the first time after having been on depo and then the pill breifly. I succeded the second month. The third time wasn't so easy but I succeded after 4 trys. That had more to do with being 38 and having 35-40 day cycles.

Try as soon as you want to, if at first you don't succeed chart your cycles and have FUN!!!! Stop worrying about 30, you have 10 years dear, unless the women in your family suffer menopause in their 30's you're FINE!!!!!!

coyoger
November 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Well, I got off the pill the night I was wed to my Hubby. We weren't activaly trying, but wait to see when it would. 7 Months later I conceived and was 30. My little Jade came along when I was 31. Now I'm back on BC and don't plan on having another one.

So long story short, it was 7 months for me, but again we weren't trying.

Best of luck!

CajunLady
November 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Try as soon as you want to, if at first you don't succeed chart your cycles and have FUN!!!! Stop worrying about 30, you have 10 years dear, unless the women in your family suffer menopause in their 30's you're FINE!!!!!!

As a matter of fact, they do. It's why 30 is such a big deal for me. My mom started after she had her last one at age 32. Her mom started at the age I am now. My dad's mom was 31. All the women in my family have started menopause after the birth of their last child, which is basically age 27-32. My mom has been the oldest. So far, I am not showing any pre-menopausal symptoms, but I also don't want to take my chances.

Well, the fact that you were hardpressed for cash only a few months ago worries me for you...But I'm sure you'll manage. What does this have to do with anything? We didn't have insurance...have you ever tried to go to the doctor and get a prescription every month without insurance? Just to see my OBGYN without insurance is at least $150, not including any tests. And birth control is at least $40 a month WITH insurance, up to $65 without. Besides, if I had to wait until we were much better off financially, I'd be much older than I am now...I'd be dead trying for my first.

CajunLady
November 2nd, 2005, 06:25 PM
For me..they said something about 'wating" to have a few 'regular' cycles???..but we didnt..after stopping the pill..preg happened quickly-
good luck:)
I've read that. But it's more for them to make sure they can determine when you conceived. Apparently there is no harm in getting pregnant so soon after going off the pill, or so I've read. But I've also heard about getting pregnant really quick after going off of them, that you can be really fertile. Then I tihnk about my sister who was activiely taking them. She was on antibiotics for a week and got pregnant later that month!!!

Annyka
November 2nd, 2005, 06:44 PM
My mum had her kids when she was aged 18, 20, 22, 38 and 41.

For the 2nd last one, she'd been off the pill for about 2 months, and thought she was going through menopause - then found out she was pregnant. She didn't go back on the pill after - and the last one was born (partly planned).,

She said the births of the last 2 were easier than the 1st 3, and she accounts this due to her frame of mind. When she had me (I was her first) she was told that the pain would make her want to die - and she was so petrified that she didn't even pay attention to the beauty of birth, but screamed the place down and swears she felt pain even with the epidural (and I was only 4 pound 11). She had her last 2 without any drugs at all and they both weighed over 7 pound each - she had her second last one after my sister - who handles pain very well and gave birth without drugs or making a sound - so was a bit more confident about childbirth..

So
Do you think it'll be any harder for me to concieve at 28 than it did when I was 24? No I don't think it'll be any harder for you - if you have the right frame of mind.

Regards
Iaityinepu~Annyka

Mistress_Ravenshadow
November 3rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
I think depends on the person and the pill you were on as to how long it takes.. with my 2 boys i fell pregnant while i was on the pill.. I guess it wasnt strong enough lol.. i think if you look after yourself and don't stress out about it, it will happen when your body is ready..

CajunLady
November 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
I think depends on the person and the pill you were on as to how long it takes.. with my 2 boys i fell pregnant while i was on the pill.. I guess it wasnt strong enough lol.. i think if you look after yourself and don't stress out about it, it will happen when your body is ready..
My sister was the same way...she was on the same pill I was on..Ortho Tri-Cyclen. But she has also taken some antibiotics that she thinks lowered the effect of the BCP. When I got got pregnant with Tera, I was off of BCP for about 2 yrs and it took us 2 months of trying. I was on them basically for 3 months...since the middle of August I think..I say that because I knew I started taking them so I wouldn't be on my period when we went to Las Vegas the last weekend of September and I was on them 2 months before that time. Before then. it had been over a year, almost 2, that I had been on them and I was only using them for a year. I bought some prenatal vitamins tonight and will start them right away. I've also cut way back on smoking. As with Tera, as soon as I find out I'm pregnant, I will completely stop smoking. I know I should stop now, but it's really hard. But I think just cutting back as much as I have is better than nothing at all. I'm now down to a pack every 2 1/2 days instead of a pack a day. I think I will only stress out if the spring rolls around and it hasn't happened yet we're still trying. We're planning on starting to try this month...by April, it will be 6 months. I'm hoping at our age, it won't take that long!!

moonchild
November 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
i was on depo for 9 months before going off that and onto b/c pills for 2 months. we TTC for 2 months (the 1st month i'm pretty sure we missed ovulation anyways) and concieved on the 2nd month. i too was freaked out about becoming 30 and preggers but we did just fine. i'll be 30 in july :). I've even had a atypical pap come back too.

fahawk
November 7th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I wouldnt be so concerned about the 'age' either...I had my 4th at 35..my midwife had her last at 40..

CajunLady
November 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I wouldnt be so concerned about the 'age' either...I had my 4th at 35..my midwife had her last at 40..

If you read my posts above, my only concern with age is that my family starts menopause anywhere from the age of 30 to 32, some have started as early as 27. Being 28, I know I only have 3 maybe 4 years before I start menopause.

Kalika
November 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Okay a few months ago, I was hardcore looking for a way to get birthcontrol. I finally found out that I could get my yearly exam and a year's worth of the pill for only $45 at my local health department. I've been on them since August. Guess what? I took my last one this past Saturday. We're planning on trying for our 2nd (my 3rd) and final baby. I've been doing a lot of reading about going off the Pill and getting pregnant. Most articles I've read said that it takes 2-3 months others say 6 months. My worries aren't that I won't get pregnant. My worries are how long it's going to take. It might be a silly reason, but here it is....I am going to be 29 in Febuary. I'm not worried about being 29 and pregnant. I'm worried about doing it after I'm 30. I told Shawn that if we were going to have another child, I wanted it to be by the time I'm 30. If I were to get pregnant this month, that baby would be born next August, right before Tera turned 4 and a few months before I turn*gulp* 30. I'm also worried about the age difference between Tera and the next one. I honestly don't want more that 4 years between them...less that that would have been better, but alas, too late obviously. Okay back to my original reason for posting this....has anyone gotten off of The Pill to try to get pregnant? How long were you on the pill and how long did it take you to concieve? I was on them for only 3 months, so I'm hoping it won't take long. I mean I'm ready for the possibility that I might not get pregnant until next spring. But I would love to see it happen by the end of this year!!! LOL Am I hoping for too much there? Even though I've just gotten off of BC, I am charting my possible fertile days. Should I wait to do this once I've had a period without being on the pill? Do you think it'll be any harder for me to concieve at 28 than it did when I was 24?

Thanks!!

I've read one month for every year that you've been on the pill. Which was accurate for me... 'cause I took it for 6 years, then was off it for 6 months when I became pregnant. :p

I don't think you should worry too much about your age. :) You're still young, and have many more years in which you *could* have children if you wanted to.

Try not to stress about it - stress is your enemy when you are TTC! (as you know)

Relax... and let nature take its course. :)

Kalika
November 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
If you read my posts above, my only concern with age is that my family starts menopause anywhere from the age of 30 to 32, some have started as early as 27. Being 28, I know I only have 3 maybe 4 years before I start menopause.

Wow! That's early.

But, like you said... you have 3 or 4 years (or more!) before you hit that milestone.

I'm sure everything will go smoothly, and you'll be knocked up in no time! :lol:

Cyzarine
November 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I was on the pill since I was 15. Stopped taking it in 2003...got preggo in 2004. Had to wait a whole year. My sisters friend got preggo while on bc.