PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Socks will be the death of me

Marcasite
November 5th, 2005, 03:28 AM
So I don't have very much money for the holidays this year, so I figured I'd knit everyone socks. I got through knitting in the round, successfully made my heel flap... then came the pattern telling me to "turn the heel" I've lost about 10 stiches and it says I'm supposed to pick them up again from somewhere after knitting them together?!?! turn?!?! huh?!?!
I'm about ready to give up..

Maggie
November 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM
So I don't have very much money for the holidays this year, so I figured I'd knit everyone socks. I got through knitting in the round, successfully made my heel flap... then came the pattern telling me to "turn the heel" I've lost about 10 stiches and it says I'm supposed to pick them up again from somewhere after knitting them together?!?! turn?!?! huh?!?!
I'm about ready to give up..

It's hard to explain in words instead of pictures, but the idea is that now you've got that heel flap you need the stitches back to knit the foot part in the round. That heel flap is where you pick the stitches up from, along each side of that heel flap.

Maggie

KEishin
November 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
It may help if you pull a real sock apart, but yeah it's hard to show you without pictures.

On the heel flap, did you bind those stitches off, or did you place them on a stitch holder? The latter makes it easy to pick up, but I'm guessing it's the former. You want to pick up stitches from the last working needle if you can.

This site has some great pictures. Maybe that'll help you. http://www.royea.net/sockdemo2.html