PDA

View Full Version : CM Reading

RainInanna
November 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
What CM related material have you read or are you reading? What do you still intend to read? What would you recommend? Who are your favourite or least favourite authors?

I'm currently reading Learning Ritual Magic: Fundamental Theory and Practice for the Solitary Apprentice by John Michael Greer, Earl, Jr. King, and Clare Vaughn (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1578633184/002-2717205-5784025?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance), and Empowering Your Life with Kabbalah by Jonathan Sharp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159257260X/002-2717205-5784025?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance). I've got The Doctrine of Transcendental Magic by Eliphas Levi printed and am slowly reading it as well, then plan to read Magick Without Tears and Liber Aba.

Whew!

Fr. INRI
November 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Here's my fundamental reading list of all aspiring CM's.

-Modern Magick by Donald M. Kraig
This book is a modern day classic. A step by step guide to non-religious Ceremonial Magick.

-The Magick of Aleister Crowley by Lon Milo DuQuette
Awesome, awesome book. Everything that DuQuette writes simply PWNS.

Magick Book 4 by Aleister Crowley.
Big Blue. Both a magckal guidebook and a useful tool for fending off animals. *THUNK*

Alkhemia
November 6th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I agree with Frater INRI, but would like to add the following books;

1. Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon. This book is really excellent and, IMHO, CM would benefit greatly if people were disciplined enough to do some of Bardon's exercises. This is a book that will last a lifetime and the rewards are great.

2. High Magick by Frater U.D. U.D. is a chaos magician and his book provides a very balanced and solid foundation for the beginner in ceremonial magick. I 'cut my teeth' on Kraig's book, but I think that U.D.'s book is superior and not as dogmatic.

3. NLP: The New Technology by the NLP Comprehensive. This book is terrific for magical techniques that can be put into practical use.

4. Mastery by George Leonard. I wish I would have read this when I first started out. Essentially, this small book shows you the importance of committing to your goals instead of flitting from one thing to another in a quest for instant gratification.

5. If you are interested in the Golden Dawn, you might want to get some books by the Cicero's. For Thelema, I think that reading Crowley is important, but you might find Lon DuQuette's work (all of it is outstanding, IMO) or Rodney Orpheus' (excellent!) Abrahadabra more to your liking. If chaos magick is your thing, I am very partial to Phil Hine if you are just starting out.

I literally have hundreds (thousands, probably) of books on ceremonial magick and related areas of interest. While I have read (or skimmed) most of the books I have, I have to emphasize this point; it is far more important to actually do magick than to sit around and read about it. With that being said, I am currently reading Lucifer Diaries by Roger Williamson, Ecstasies by Carlo Ginzburg and I have several books on order. Being in grad school, unfortunately, does not afford me the time to read as much occult-oriented stuff as I would like. :)

Alkhemia

Fr. INRI
November 6th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Indeed. Actually doing the magick is more important than reading, though most of us can admit to a little inertia of the Will from time to time. ;)

Remember, as Grant Morrison said.

"Reading about magick is like reading about sex; it will get you horny for it, but it's not nearly as fun and fulfilling as the real thing.

RainInanna
November 7th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I was looking at Abrahadabra and High Magick while in the store but wasn't sure if they would be good books, so it's interesting to see your recommendation.

Fr. INRI
November 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I havent read them, but unless they're wildly of course, they're probably similar to others.