PDA

View Full Version : The Tao-Te-Ching

Agaliha
November 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I just thought I'd start a discussion about the Tao-Te-Ching.

I have read some selections from it before and I was quite impressed so I decided to read the whole thing...I just printed it up a few minutes ago :).
:dancy:
I also put this book on hold at my library:
Tao te Ching (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158542269X/qid=1131322002/sr=8-14/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl14/102-3883339-1189723?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Jonathan Star (Paperback)
I saw it there before and it looked quite informative and helpful.

I am sure there are people on MW that have read it.
Any thoughts? Favorite lines/verses? Least favorite?
Did it inspire you to walk a Taoist path?

:thumbsup:

Agaliha
November 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Wow, no one. Interesting. I guess I'll be all by my lonesome here. Heh.

Storm Moon
December 22nd, 2005, 03:56 AM
I read it and thought it was cool, but confusing in some points. I've forgotten part of it by now though.

CleftOfLight
December 22nd, 2005, 05:40 AM
I find that book a very helpful book and it can help you in undrstanding the natural energies of earth,body,and spirit.I read the Tao often and do apply it to my thought pattern.

Also it is were George Lucas got the idea for the force.And though the tao never mentions god persae,you could say that the energy that is Tao,is god energy and ounce you connected with it,you are in a way connected with god.

Another thing I like about it is the balance of right and wrong,how they both have a purpose,and that nothing is pure good or evil.A lot of Taoist use the ying & yang symbol to signify how in good there is a speck of evil nd in evil a speck of good.

Hmmmmmm I must go read it again.
Also I would recommend reading any book on Lao-tse,the man who wrote the Tao te-ching.I found him to be just as interesting as his philosophy.

Shanti
December 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
The tao that can be described
is not the eternal Tao.
The name that can be spoken
is not the eternal Name.

To me, there is no such thing as a Taoist path.
A path...The Tao, ???
nope, for me, that isnt happening.
Its like the goose in a bottle.
But thats another story.

:)
i can be what ever i want.

i can be Christian, Muslim, Pagan!
i can be any identity i choose, or choose none at all.
Because no identity i create with my mind changes who i truly am..
Because no matter what my mind identifies with, no matter what i adopt to my mind as my way,
i am still who i am...
a spark of energy in the whole that is everything.

So, i can be what ever i want, because,
i will always be me.

Thats the closet i can get to what a Toaist path could be.

Doctor Jeep
January 14th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I highly recommend Red Pine's translation. :D Should be available on Amazon.

Laisrean
January 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Hi,

I seen this thread and was going to post about how I see a lot of Libertarianism in the Tao te ching, but I didn't to derail this thread with a political/philosophical debate so I started a thread in a more suitable forum, here: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=120206

:chattin:

Laisrean
January 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I highly recommend Red Pine's translation. :D Should be available on Amazon.

Why buy when there is plenty of free translations on the net. :weirdsmil

Here is a good one, which has the verses carefully categorized: http://www.san.beck.org/Laotzu.html

Doctor Jeep
January 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Why buy when there is plenty of free translations on the net. :weirdsmil

Here is a good one, which has the verses carefully categorized: http://www.san.beck.org/Laotzu.html

Because free doesn't always mean good. ;)

There are, of course, some good ones on the net, but I recommend Red Pine's translation for a number of reasons. Along with his translation of each verse he gives the commentaries of other scholars, which really enriches the experience. His translation is extremely well done - not too scholarly, not too poetic or literal. Also, he's a guy who walks the walk, and to me that adds a lot.

Anyway, just my recommendation.:fpartyman

leaf-shadow
January 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
i suggest u study chinese and read it in its original format. lol, i read it in both english and chinese, and omg, i like the chinese version. the langauge is so... all encompassing... and it's really hard to get what it means if u read it in chinese, it's written in wen-yian-wen...

Agaliha
June 22nd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Here's a site online with 11 different translations: http://www.religiousworlds.com/taoism/ttc-list.html

plumedsnake
June 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
is not the eternal Tao.
is not the eternal Name.

To me, there is no such thing as a Taoist path.
A path...The Tao, ???
nope, for me, that isnt happening.
Its like the goose in a bottle.
But thats another story.

:)
i can be what ever i want.

i can be Christian, Muslim, Pagan!
i can be any identity i choose, or choose none at all.
Because no identity i create with my mind changes who i truly am..
Because no matter what my mind identifies with, no matter what i adopt to my mind as my way,
i am still who i am...
a spark of energy in the whole that is everything.

So, i can be what ever i want, because,
i will always be me.

Thats the closest i can get to what a Toaist path could be.

I thought Tao meant Way. This Way is not a path? I get confused. The eternal Tao cannot be described but Lao tze is having a good go himself. What I am talking about cannot be uttered and what I think cannot be contemplated, I walk without legs and sit without an arse because this is the sound of one hand clapping.
Just thought to share my disorientation.

Ravens_Tears
June 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Tao is the way. :)

is not the eternal Tao.
is not the eternal Name.

It can not truely be described, it is more to be experienced. :)

MoonDragn
June 23rd, 2006, 12:55 AM
I've read it in chinese as well. It is nothing.

Therefore there is nothing to describe. The way is just what you would be, if you were on it.

Ravens_Tears
June 23rd, 2006, 01:55 AM
I can't really agree with that statement. It is a way of living, experiencing, interacting, or not... Just being.

MoonDragn
June 23rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
I can't really agree with that statement. It is a way of living, experiencing, interacting, or not... Just being.

It is just being, the tao teaches that if you try and strive for a result, then you are setting yourself up for failure. Just be, don't try.

The way is about nothingness. To flow like water. Take life as it is given to you. Do not covet something that is not yours. Embrace the nothingness in your soul.

Of course the tao is also against contention, and here I am debating with you on its meaning LOL.

plumedsnake
June 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
What about the I Ching from which the Tao is derived?

Doctor Jeep
July 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not, but just in case:

http://home.pages.at/onkellotus/TTK/_IndexTTK.html

Well over 100 translations in various languages, including Red Pine's, which I had recommended earlier in this thread. You don't get everything that comes with his book, but it's still nice to see the basic text in there.

I would have to say that at this point, my favorite is the Hogan translation (http://www.beatrice.com/TAO.html). It's not scholarly - and that's exactly why I love it.

Neosnoia
July 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
What I am talking about cannot be uttered and what I think cannot be contemplated, I walk without legs and sit without an arse because this is the sound of one hand clapping.
I just might have to make that my new sig line! :boing: