PDA

View Full Version : Caliphate, Shmaliphate

Fr. INRI
November 9th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Since we kinda got talking about it a few other threads, I was wondering if anyone had opinions on the legacy of initiatory Thelema. Lots and lots (and lots and lots and lots) of people claim to be the "true heir" of Crowley's work. I think it would be interesting to compare and contrast a few ones in brief, and see if anybody has strong feelings.

1) The Caliphate OTO- Started up by Grady McMurty, a friend of Crowley in his later years. The "American" OTO, so to speak, the Caliphate is widely considered to be the real deal, and McMurty (and his successors) are generally believed to hold the "legitimate" OHO.
-Pros: Owns and keeps pretty much everything Crowley ever touched in mass circulation.
-Cons: Owns and keeps pretty much everything Crowley ever touched guarded by a phalanx of copyright lawyers.

2) The Typhonian OTO- Founded by Kenneth Grant, the Typhonian OTO is a small, loosely organized group of Thelemites focusing on things such as aliens and demons as well as more traditional Thelemic Ideas
-Pros: Lots of interesting ideas; influenced Setianism and other serious left hand path groups like the Ordo Draconis et Atri Adamantis.
-Cons: Founder Kenneth Grant is completely loopy. Do I need to retell the fruit-bat story?

3) Wicca- Founded by Gerald Gardner, a student of Crowley and brilliant magickian in his own right, it has been argued (in my mind, convincingly) that Wicca was begun as a "camp" of the original European OTO, to bring Thelema to the masses.
-Pros: Easily the least crazy of Thelema's many offshoots. When practiced in it's original form it is a very potent form of polarity/sex magick.
-Cons: Utter bull-honky history. Isn't really Thelemic.

Luminessence
November 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Pros: Lots of interesting ideas; influenced Setianism and other serious left hand path groups like the Ordo Draconis et Atri Adamantis.

I don't think influencing Left-Hand Path groups is really a "pro," myself... :) But that's just my opinion, and anyway, you never know where they might lead.

Anyway, I don't really think there needs to be a single true heir. It's natural for things to split off into different forms. I think it's probably best for that to happen - it means there's something for everyone. I don't think there should be so much conflict over it.

As for Wicca, I think it was probably influenced by Thelema, though I don't think Thelema was its sole influence by any means.

sidhe
December 27th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Aye, but you forgot about...

The Gnostic Catholic Church...which is very connected to the Caliphate O.T.O, but is less of an initiatory structure.

The Thelemic Golden Dawn, which you've linked in your siggy, and are an interesting lot.

luna rising
December 28th, 2005, 11:01 AM
-Cons: Founder Kenneth Grant is completely loopy. Do I need to retell the fruit-bat story?

Yes please. I don't know the story.:hahugh:

punxzen
December 31st, 2005, 02:50 AM
Yes please. I don't know the story.:hahugh:
ill second that request for the fruit-bat story