PDA

View Full Version : dual divinities

mato
December 13th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Any one run into gods that were actually called or otherwise known as both god and goddess two seperate aspects of one 'god' so different that they were divided into two gods but never seen seperately? curious as to the mythology they appear in and stuff.

Eeluna
December 13th, 2001, 08:35 AM
I thought of Mawu-Liza right away.

The Great God of the Fon peoples of Dahomey in West Africa. Mawu is female and Liza is male. The eternal union of these unseperated twins is regarded as the basis of Universal Order. Mawu is identified with the Moon, night, fertility, joy, gentleness, rest and motherhood. Liza is associated with the Sun, day, heat, power, work, war and strength.

This info came from a Book:

The Macmillian Illustrated Encyclopedia of Myths and Legends
by Arthur Cotterell

He also states that Mawu-Liza has an exact parallel in Awonawi-Lona, the male-female creator Deity of the Zuni of New Mexico and Arizona.

I can't think of any others, but I'll bet there are more.

Adrenaline Junkie
December 15th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Kali and Shiva come to mind.

When I was taught Hinduism in religion class, we were taught that there was the universal spirit: Brahmahn. Brahmahn has three sides:

Brahma: the creator
Vishnu: the Preserver
Shiva: the Destroyer

All of these aspects are further divided up into different aspects. each of them also have a female self. And Shiva's was Kali.

They are two different deities, but one at the same time. Of course, I'm speaking from a traditional Hindu pov. Many modern day Pagans, Witches and Wiccans view them as seperate.