PDA

View Full Version : One disaster too many?

Cassie
November 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Major news organizations such as CNN, the BBC and ITN have been doing their best to keep news about the recent earthquake in Pakistan and India in the headlines but I have a feeling their message is falling on deaf ears. Could it be that in a year that began with a tsunami and continued with a series of hurricanes which hit some of us too close to home, the recent earthquake is just one disaster too many?

The total official death toll stands at around 74,000 people, but international donors estimate that more than 86,000 were killed in Pakistan alone. Those who survive (many with horrendous injuries such as amputated limbs and brain damage caused by falling masonry) are now living out in the open, as the fierce winter approaches. Some donít even have tents. Of the estimated 4 million people who are affected by this crisis, approximately half are children, and one fifth of these are under the age of five.

Maybe it is worth comparing this disaster with that of the Tsunami.
The Tsunami affected one million people; Pakistan's earthquake has made about 4 million homeless.
The Tsunami affected areas were coastal areas (flat) and thus easy to reach. In Pakistan they are dealing with rugged mountainous terrain, which is only reachable by helicopter or heavy earth clearing equipment. In the case of the Tsunami, 4000 helicopters were made available by foreign countries for rescue , Pakistan got just 70 helicopters. All areas affected by Tsunami had a moderate weather, in Earthquake affected areas temperatures have already dropped to freezing and if shelter and other aid are delayed for another week or two, half of the 4 million homeless survivors may die. So far Pakistan has only received 12% of the promised aid.

Please keep these people in your thoughts, prayers and energy workings. If you can help in any other ways the link below may be useful.
http://www.unicef.org.uk/emergency/emergency_detail.asp?emergency=24&nodeid=e24&section=3

Cassie
November 11th, 2005, 06:45 PM
bump

WokeUpDead
November 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM
They have earthquakes like this all the time over there don't they. I never hear much about them other than the fact that they happened. The tsunami killed some European vacationers and the hurricanes are in America. Middle east/central asian earthquakes are probably too foreign for most people to care about.

Amethyst Rose
November 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I personaly think it's quite sick that there hasn't been nearly the amount of talk of donating to the red cross, etc., as there have been with all the other disasters this year.

Yes, I think that part of it is that there've been too many disasters, and that we're all donated out.

But it's also because I don't think people care about that part of the world, just like WokeUPDead suggested.

And no, they dont' have earthquakes like this all the time over there.... not that that would make any difference, even if they did. It still doesn't explain why the redcross hasn't come campaining to my door for money (which I would have given, just like I did for the tsunami). Nor, have I seen donation buckets by the till at all the stores I go to, like I've seen for Katrina Victims). Frankly, I haven't seen or heard of of one single effort to gather donations for these poor people....beyond a the number for the red cross being given on the news just after it happened.

But, who am I to complain? I'm also not out there working for donations. I care, but only enough to complain about other's lack of effort. *shrug* Makes me a bit of a hypocrit, I think.

Shanti
November 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Whats truly sad is that this earth quake has killed more people and left more in danger of dying than any of the other disasters of recent years yet know one cares.

And yes they get earth quakes often just like the us coast gets hurricanes, and Cal gets quakes, but this was not a typical earth quake, obviously.

There are millions out there 'right now', freezing and starving to death, but so what!

This disaster makes N.O. flooding and the tsunami look like minor events.

If this many people fell victim to a quake in LA or in Europe, it would be much different!

Could you imagine 74k dieing in Cal? How about 4 million homeless? Boy would it be an event...but heck this this is the mid-east. Those people are used to dying in record numbers!

Sorry for all the sarcasm but the hole ignoring of this has left me feeling pretty disgusted at all the nations!

And I dont care about politics either...these are just people, children and adults that didnt hurt anyone.
There just people, left to die.

Cassie
November 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
If anyone is interested, CNN are showing an excellent documentary on this subject at various times throughout this weekend.

Spacehap
November 13th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I like all the natural disasters don't get me wroung it is sad how so many people died and all but man kind isgoig to have to pay for all the harm we've done

Amethyst Rose
November 14th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy that whole, 'mother nature's getting her revenge' thing. There's millions of innocent children homeless and freezing....children who have played no part in hurting the earth. If mother nature really cared about 'punishing' us for our 'sins', then I'd like to think she'd go after those who are really responsible.