PDA

View Full Version : Flax Seed

MysticCottageHerbs
November 15th, 2005, 11:18 PM
My friend gave me some and I have no idea what to do with it or what it is used for? Do you know of some magikal uses for this seed? Please help me out!

MysticWitch
November 15th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Flax seeds are really good for you. You can add them to almost any food dish! Flax seed contains Omega 3 fatty acid. Its the only grain that has it.

The brain is made of fat, especially the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, so obtaining sufficient omega-3 is crucial for cognitive functioning and mood.

omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in regulating the body's metabolic processes. Eicosanoids are hormone-like compounds that act like thermostats throughout the body, either raising or lowering a wide range of bodily activities.

Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for our health in a variety of ways.

Reduce risk of heart disease—Omega-3s are blood thinners and help to keep arteries elastic and flexible. They reduce high blood pressure, and keep triglycerides down.

Reduce risk of unwanted blood clots—Omega-6 based thromboxane aids in clotting, which stops blood loss from injuries. Omega-3s keep thromboxane in check, thus preventing unwanted blood clots that can cause strokes, heart attacks, deep-vein thrombosis and embolisms in lungs.

Lower blood pressure—Thromboxane also constricts arteries, leading to raised blood pressure. Omega-3s again keep thromboxane in check.

Reduce inflammatory diseases—Omega-3s are natural anti-inflammatory agents, so they act to prevent or reduce symptoms of arthritis, migraine headaches, menstrual cramps, and asthma.

Vision—Omega-3s are valuable both for the retina and blood supply through the tiny capillaries in the eyes.

Brain and mood—Omega-3s are an important constituent of the brain, especially DHA. In cultures that eat a lot of fish, the rate of depression is lower than in populations that don't, such as the US. Even though depression has many causes, making sure the brain has enough nutrients to function well is an obvious "no brainer."

Cancer—Omega-3s reduce the risk of cancer. They strengthen the immune system, which is the body's primary defense against the appearance of new cancerous cells. Omega-3s also make it harder for a tumor to metastasize to other areas of the body.

Reduce risk of osteoporosis—Bones are living tissue, constantly being broken down and rebuilt. Eicosanoids help to regulate the balance between osteoclasts, which break down bone, and osteoblasts, which rebuild it. Research indicates that healthy omega-3 levels contribute to rebuilding bone rather than losing it.

Wow eh! I'd eat em :lol:

Laisrean
November 16th, 2005, 12:02 AM
If you don't want to eat them you can take flax-seed oil capsules as a supplement. That is what I do. I also take Fish oil which has the same omega-3 benefits...

MysticCottageHerbs
November 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM
thanks but are there any magikal purposes, how can I use them in spells?

MysticCottageHerbs
November 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I just found this page
http://databar.com/hemispheres/herbalf.html

and it says that flax seed is poison. is this true? what do you guys think?

Prickle
November 16th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Flax, which is the plant fiber that linen is spun from, is linked with several spinner goddesses, such as Holda and Frigga.

It could be used in offerings to other spinners, such as the Norns or Fates too.

As someone else mentioned, it's good for you. You can put the seeds in muffins and rolls or sprinkle them over yogurt or cereal. I like to grind them up a bit first.

If they're viable you can plant some, flax has pretty little blue flowers.

If you soak crushed flax seeds in water they make a thick, mucilage that can be used to help bind together other herbs for poultices medicinally and it can be used if you need a little something to bind together the elements of an herbal spell.

From Lucky Mojo:

FLAX SEED
Used to increase psychic abilities and mental powers, and for protection of children.

Nitefalle
July 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I personally use flax seeds for prosperity spells, interchangeable with rice. Also, because it's known for it's many health benefits, you could probably use it in a healing spell.

Xirian
August 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I just found this page
http://databar.com/hemispheres/herbalf.html

and it says that flax seed is poison. is this true? what do you guys think?

Side Effects and Warnings

There are few studies of flaxseed safety in humans. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil supplements do appear to be well tolerated in the available research, and there is long-standing historical use of flaxseed products without many reports of side effects. However, unripe flaxseed pods are believed to be poisonous and should not be eaten. Raw flaxseed or flaxseed plant may increase blood levels of cyanide, a toxic chemical (this effect has not been reported when flaxseed supplements are taken at recommended doses). Do not apply flaxseed or flaxseed oil to open wounds or broken skin.

You can find more information about side effects and contraindications here (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/NS_patient-flaxseed).

But based on the background information at the same link, flaxseed appears fairly beneficial to most:

Flaxseed and its derivative flaxseed oil/linseed oil are rich sources of the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, which is a biologic precursor to omega-3 fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid. Although omega-3 fatty acids have been associated with improved cardiovascular outcomes, evidence from human trials is mixed regarding the efficacy of flaxseed products for coronary artery disease or hyperlipidemia.

Magically, I hear they're used for money spells, protection and healing, which I believe others have mentioned already.