PDA

View Full Version : Question about tracking/timing ovulation

CajunLady
November 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I'm keeping an online track of my cycles. But I have one question about my period. I'm not sure what day I should count as the first day. With my last period, I started spotting around 6-7 pm October 31st. It continued and the next day everything was in full force, if you know what I mean. Do I count Oct 31st as the first day of my period or the next day? I counted the 31st since I was spotting. Or am I supposed to wait until I am actually having a period? Knowing the difference here will help me track ovulation much better!!

Mistress_Ravenshadow
November 17th, 2005, 03:33 AM
I haven't ever tracked my cycles strictly so i am only guessing here but maybe note that you had spotting on the 31st and mark the next day as the start and track both for the first month.. I don't think a few hours would make a huge difference..
i think they have tests that let you know when you are actually ovulating.. (not sure how much they are though) this might be a bit on the gross side but someone i know said she knew when she was ovulating because she got a heavy discharge for a few days around that time..

HorseCrow
November 17th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I'm keeping an online track of my cycles. But I have one question about my period. I'm not sure what day I should count as the first day. With my last period, I started spotting around 6-7 pm October 31st. It continued and the next day everything was in full force, if you know what I mean. Do I count Oct 31st as the first day of my period or the next day? I counted the 31st since I was spotting. Or am I supposed to wait until I am actually having a period? Knowing the difference here will help me track ovulation much better!!

It will not make any difference when it comes to tracking ovulation. Counting days will not do you any good at all. You have to keep a close eye on your vaginal fluids. When it gets clear and stretchy like raw eggwhite, is when you are fertile/ovulating. For some people this will be day 8, for others day 14, for others day 19- therefore, don't count days, check your mucus!

pkm
November 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM
One thing about tracking mucus, if you have had any medical procedures that involve the opening of you cervix it may interfere with the productions of mucus. I did natural family planning for nearly two years before I got pregnant with my soon to be here child. I couldn't tell when I ovulated at all because of damage to my cervical opening from a botched biopsy several years ago. I had to rely on what little bit of mucus I could gather (was not easy) and the position of my cervix to determine when I was close to ovulation. Your cervix will practically disappear when you are ready to ovulate.

www.tcoyf.com and the book by the sites owner Taking Charge of Your Fertility are the two references that I used constantly when I was tracking my cycle.

And like HorseCrow said counting your days is a spin that "medical professionals" put on a woman's cycle to make it easier for them to keep track of what is going on. Very few women have set cycles of 28 or 30 days every month of the year. There are so many things that can manipulate how your body cycles it is impossible to determine how many days you will be from on month to the next.

Ceres
November 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM
My experience confirms this. The mucus is such a definite symptom, I was able to tell when my fertility returned after nursing my children (and not having mentrual cycles), down to the day, even though I had no previous period to use as an indicator of when to start looking for fertile mucus. The day of the most slippery, copious mucus is the day you ovulate and is almost always exactly two weeks before your period will come. The number of days from the first day of your period is where there is often confusion since it can be anywhere from ten days to three weeks in a normal mentrual cycle.

HorseCrow
November 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
the day you ovulate and is almost always exactly two weeks before your period will come.

This is actually not as often the case, as has been believed for many years. Ovulation can occure a lot earlier, as early as day 7- 8 of the cycle and as late as day 18- 19.
That is why checking secretion (and cervical position) is so important, because going for just day 14 has made a lot of women "unable to conceive" without reason.

CajunLady
November 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Ah thanks for the advice. That's good to know. I'e been watching my mucus, but never really saw much of a change. But please remember (from other posts) that I am on my first cycle off of BCP. We're trying but I'm not expecting much to happen this month! As far as tracking ovulation...last time I did it the calendar way, the timing was pretty good for me as I got pregnant for Tera when the calendar said I ovulated. But that may or may not be the case this time around. So I will do both--follow the calendar and watch my mucus.

Ceres
November 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
This is actually not as often the case, as has been believed for many years. Ovulation can occure a lot earlier, as early as day 7- 8 of the cycle and as late as day 18- 19.
That is why checking secretion (and cervical position) is so important, because going for just day 14 has made a lot of women "unable to conceive" without reason.
Thats what I was saying, if I understand you correctly :). The day of ovulation is almost always two weeks BEFORE a period, but not neccessarily two weeks AFTER. So the time from the beginning of a mentrual cycle to ovulation will vary as you said, but once ovulation occurs, its nearly always two weeks till mentruation begins.