PDA

View Full Version : Yew Wood

CajunLady
November 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I wasn't sure where else to post this. But does anywhere know where I can get Yew wood from? I want to make my own wand out of one, so I don't need a whole tree worth. Nor do I want to spend a whole lot of $$$$ that I don't have from getting it online somewhere, if it's even sold. And I'm pretty sure there are no yew trees growing in my area.

Akashic Brother
November 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I've never been to Alabama but I would be surpised if their weren't any yews there, at least of some kind. They are a very common shrubs/small-medium trees where I live. They seem to be only in the landscapes however but very common. It is best to collect a fallen branch, or to go to a yew tree and ask it for a branch. I have found the tree will most likely drop one for you shortly after if there isn't one there waiting for you already. I've also read it is not good to but your wand. I guess all the energy and work put into it make it that much better.

StormVixen
November 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM
yeah a yew tree is a good place to get yew wood!!! heh heh... i got a friendly yew tree who supplied me with a wand and some runes... (hopefully someday hell give me a stick big enough to make a staff! yew tress are usually friendly, well to me thy are anyway... there not stuck up like oak trees!

MariThorn
November 18th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Most churches in the Southern USA have small yew shrubs outside them. They are evergreen all year round of course. My parish church has Yew shrubs that I pruned just this Autumn. I've never seen the big trees that grow in England, but Yews in general are kind.

CajunLady
November 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
So are they Christmas tree looking? I can't ever recall seeing a tree like the one Akashic Brother pictured. I just need to do a search of trees in Alabama to see if they even have them here and go from there.

Theres
November 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
the Pacific (or Western) Yew which we have here in Oregon looks like an enormous rosemary tree, with small red berries (like the picture above).
this is not the same species as the traditional graveyard trees of Europe, but it is the same genus.

note;
the berries are considered very poisonous, so be careful.
i've heard that is isn't actually the pulpy part of the berry that is dangerous but the seed within. and i've read that a psychactive potion can be made from the berry juice which will enable one to connect with Hekate... but i ain't trying it, and i don't recommend this to anyone else either!

StormVixen
November 19th, 2005, 04:14 PM
i thought ALL parts of the tree were poisonous...

Akashic Brother
November 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM
note;
the berries are considered very poisonous, so be careful.
i've heard that is isn't actually the pulpy part of the berry that is dangerous but the seed within. and i've read that a psychactive potion can be made from the berry juice which will enable one to connect with Hekate... but i ain't trying it, and i don't recommend this to anyone else either!

Yes you are right the aril(flesh) is not the poisonous part, the seed is. People would even eat the arils as a delicacy. Yeah I wouldn't try the seeds for those purpose, there are much safer herbs available IMO.

Raunijar
November 26th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Thw wood of the yew tree is also poisonous, but you should be okay with a wand as long as you make some kind of grip for the handle (if a simple feast part of your ritual) otherwise just make sure to wash your hands after the use of the wand. You can probably get yew 'blanks' from a good woodcarving supplier. I've even seen them on e-bay. That's if you have the patience and skill to actually carve the wand.