PDA

View Full Version : Church

Cyzarine
November 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Who here goes to church? If you do what denomination service do you attend? What do you like best about it?

I do not attend church because the churches around here not my flavor. If I did attend it would be a Byzantine Catholic church. The closest one is Mil-town. I like the Byzantine srevice because they are very ritualist. It is very big and spiritual...to me. You can see the way paganism is blended within this particular faith. It is such a beautiful service...without all of the singing and instuments. Yes, they sing...but stuff like Ave Maria and the like. It is a very spiritually enlightning service.

Silver Ivy
November 17th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I don't really go to church ... maybe two or three times a year - like on Christmas or Easter. Like you, I would go to a Catholic service, because I also enjoy their rituals .. :)

Cyzarine
November 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah, that is all I do now. I go on the important holy days.

LacyRoze
November 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM
As I live in a very small rural community with few church choices, I attend a small, local Baptist church. I must admit, I love this church. Our service averages about 75 members on Sundays and the people are very warm and caring. Now not all know my beliefs but the pastor does. He's a more open-minded sort of pastor. He's also a professor at Williams Bible College. He and I often share our interpretations of scripture. He'll give his and usually look to me and say, "Ok. let's hear it Kim." lol. Not once in the 5 months I've been attending has he ever said I was wrong in how I interpret {sp} a scripture. It's usually a more of "Huh, I never thought of it that way" kind of thing. I feel very comfortable in this church but we're about to go through a major change. My beloved pastor has resigned to give more time to his teaching. The members have chosen a new pastor and I'm not real sure how open-minded and accepting he is. I guess time will tell.

Cyzarine
November 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I completely understand that LacyRoze. The church I had where we had our boys christining...the preist was accepting of my path. He even incorporated some aspects into the ceremony. It was lovely. Yet, that church is in Chicago and I'm stuck here n Wisconsin...like a 2 hour drive away. That is the one church where I have been accepted.

LacyRoze
November 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Hubby and I have discussed it and we're in agreement. If the new pastor is a fire & brimstone, hell & damnation, bible literalist, then this just wasn't meant to be the place for us. Yes, it will sadden me but I know there is a place for me somewhere out there...

Cyzarine
November 18th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Hubby and I have discussed it and we're in agreement. If the new pastor is a fire & brimstone, hell & damnation, bible literalist, then this just wasn't meant to be the place for us. Yes, it will sadden me but I know there is a place for me somewhere out there...

Exactly. You will find a place though. I do miss church. I just have yet to find one close enough that isn't the fire & brimstone type. The one I tried going to over here was Roman Catholic...and I have nothing against Roman Catholics at all...but the pastor disrespected other Catholics by saying Roman Catholics are the right Catholics. I just could not be involved with a church that had this type of pastor. He would not even baptize our children, even though my hubby is Roman Catholic, because I am Byzantine Catholic.

LacyRoze
November 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I hear ya!! It amazes me when the church starts the "we're the only ones" routine. That sends me out the door quicker than my pantyhose being on fire.

gurlygurl2004
November 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Who here goes to church? If you do what denomination service do you attend? What do you like best about it?

I do not attend church because the churches around here not my flavor. If I did attend it would be a Byzantine Catholic church. The closest one is Mil-town. I like the Byzantine srevice because they are very ritualist. It is very big and spiritual...to me. You can see the way paganism is blended within this particular faith. It is such a beautiful service...without all of the singing and instuments. Yes, they sing...but stuff like Ave Maria and the like. It is a very spiritually enlightning service.

Wow, I didn't realize that the Catholics were divided into sects. I'd have to check the Byzantine out.

gurlygurl2004
November 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
On special occasions, I do go to church with my parents, I just attend the Baptist church, but honestly I don't perfer the Baptist religion at all.

Cyzarine
November 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah, the Roman Catholics Church excludes the Byzantines even though they are supposed to be one together...you know...but they both dislike each other. Byzantines follow the Eastern rites. Here's a link to it all...

Eastern Rite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Rite)
Ukrainian Catholic Church (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Catholic_Church)
Medieval Sourcebook (http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook1c.html#Byzantine%20Religion)
The Byzantine rite that our church follows (http://catholicism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.byzcath.org%2F)

aussiepunkchick
November 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
i go to a baptist church in town it is a really nice church we only usely get bout 20 people but I love it cuz we sing all the time I love music . catholic have different sect???????? I didn't know that peace out rock on

CleftOfLight
December 1st, 2005, 06:27 AM
I dont go to church too often but when I do its usualy a Unitarian Universalist church

Calen
December 1st, 2005, 07:09 AM
I attend church a couple times a month with my parents. I don't intend to go regularly when I am on my own, but for now, it's basically a respect thing.

Sometimes, I'll go and really enjoy it; the sermon wiill be interesting, the music will be beautiful, and I will be happy to be there. Most of the time, I do not want to be there, and get into quite a mood having to sit there against my will. It's a very juvenile, embittered sort of mood, and it's why I look forward to the day when it will be my choice to go or not; if I do go sometimes, it will be because I want to.

Dancing Sky
December 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM
I'm going to start Church shopping. I am very interested in Catholicism because the Catholics I've talked to online seem very friendly and knowledgable. I've never been to Mass, so it should be interesting.

A Catholic recently gave me this quote from the Book of Wisdom. I'd never heard it before, and it kind of gave me a new perspective on things. "But either fire, or wind, or the swift air, or the circuit of the stars, or the mighty water, or the luminaries of heaven, the governors of the world, they considered gods. 3 Now if out of joy in their beauty they thought them gods, let them know how far more excellent is the Lord than these; for the original source of beauty fashioned them. 4 Or if they were struck by their might and energy, let them from these things realize how much more powerful is he who made them."

That gave me something to ponder...

Christo Pagan
December 2nd, 2005, 10:11 PM
My wife is an Orthodox Christian, so I sometimes attend with her, though I myself do not believe in the need for a physical church as I view the only real church to be a spiritual one.

Ninjakitten
December 2nd, 2005, 10:14 PM
I'd like to go to church again, but for some reason I can't get myself to go to even a Unitarian Universalist or Baha'i church. Since I became a Christian witch, I've been a bit scared I guess, even though I feel that going to a church would give me some of the mental focus on the Divine as doing a ritual would, but I wouldn't be secluded.

Anita
December 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I was brought up in the Anglican church. I haven't even bothered looking for a new one since I left home. I think to some extent I'm going to continue attending services at random times during Christmas and Easter in order to prevent my parents from insisting that I attend church with them then. For instance I'm going to a party followed by the midnight service at the (Anglican) cathedral this christmas rather than attend either of the two services that my parents will be at.

Lilium
January 1st, 2006, 10:35 AM
I go to church every now and then...certainly not a weekly thing but I do like to go at least once or twice a month. I go to an Anglican church....basically just the one nearest to me.

Foxbarking
January 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I go to an Episcopal Church, and I go every Sunday if I can make it. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Lovehound
July 17th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I also attend an Episcopal church and like it a lot. I grew up Methodist - and the whole business of the liturgy and a more involved service and weekly Eucharist are very delicious to me.

ViolinGoddess
July 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I go to church. My father is the minister of my Presbyterian church. I am very lucky because my father and I have always agreed on religious and spiritual things. My dad is liberal and open minded. I think I will have a hard time finding the right church when he finally retires. I love my church. the people there are great.

Violin Goddess

Neosnoia
July 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
I attend an Episcopalian church, though I am not yet a member. I looked into PCUSA, but they are so far away from where I live. :(

Fatherman
July 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
I go to church. My father is the minister of my Presbyterian church. I am very lucky because my father and I have always agreed on religious and spiritual things. My dad is liberal and open minded. I think I will have a hard time finding the right church when he finally retires. I love my church. the people there are great.

ViolinGoddess,

Ok,this is just getting TOO weird! My father is also the minister of a Presby church. You must be my internet sister or something (musician, liberal christian, practices magic, presby PK). Next thing you're going to say is that you're also an identical twin (I am).

To answer the thread question. Yes, I attend church. I switched to Methodist (UMC) from Presby in my early twenties (my wife seduced me into being a Methdodist!). It's a very liberal congregation. I'm not open about my craft there. They have a hard enough time believing in Jesus healing a skin disease. I love the community and the worship and the music. I love watching my children grow up with my friends' children there.

ViolinGoddess
July 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
ViolinGoddess,

Ok,this is just getting TOO weird! My father is also the minister of a Presby church. You must be my internet sister or something (musician, liberal christian, practices magic, presby PK). Next thing you're going to say is that you're also an identical twin (I am).

Heheheheheh! That IS really weird! We MUST be internet sisters! But no, I'm not a twin. But twins DO run in my family. What instrument do you play?

Violin Goddess

Fatherman
July 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
I was a voice major, but I did go All-State in tuba in high school. So my primary instrument is voice (high baritone), although I play the piano and when someone is willing to lend me a tuba or euphonium I'll play in a brass quartet.

How about we'll say internet 'siblings' instead of sisters. I've never been too comfortable with the term 'sister' (being a man), even if it is meant in the best possible way! :hehehehe:

Meryln2k
July 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I occasionally go to Roman Catholic Mass or Episcopal Church to partake of the Body of the God...might go to Byzantine Church but we don't have any here. I like their ritualistism, too. Especially I love the icons because often Mary is shown as a strong woman, not one with lowered eyes and all that.