PDA

View Full Version : My Byzantine Catholic Beliefs

Cyzarine
November 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I am a Catholic Witch. I have found my spiritual path, finally, after much work and dedication to meditation and patience. I am a Byzantine Ukrainian Catholic as well as a witch. I believe in God who created material. I believe in the Holy Spirit who created spiritual. I believe in the Son whom showed us the true message of God. In this is the Trinity. God is genderless...the Holy Spirit is feminin...and Christ was man and God at the same time. "One in Three Persons" all whom share the divine essence but are distinct beings.

Byzantine Catholics are Marian in their ways. We honor the Virgin, even though the Trinity always comes first. Mary was very important to us. Unlike the Roman Catholic, Byzantines have a deep respect for and venerate Mary. We believe that Mary is the daughter of God, Wife and sister to the Holy Spirit, and Mother to Christ. We sometimes pray directly to her because in our tradition she can answer prayers. She is a protector of all and a defender of children. We also pray through her for the aid of God. Our liturgical year begins with a Holy Day in honor of Mary (Sept. 8 Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos) and ends in the same fashion (Aug. 15 Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos). So, my deities are God , Holy Spirit, Son...in the Trinity as well...and Mary.

"Virgin Mother, Refuge of humankind, you have bestowed the robe and cincture of your holy body as a sheltering mantle upon the city. Through your virginal motherhood they have remained intact, for through you nature and time are renewed. We implore you, therefore, to give safety to your city and to show great mercy to souls."

The Byzantine tradition is rich in ages old tradition. In our Churches medieval-looking icons adorn the walls, our priests wear ritualistic robes (and use a different color pattern for differnt Holy Days), the ornate gold work all over the cathedral, and the incense. This is steeped in our tradition which was alive before the Vatican II swept the Western Church clean of such things. Our worship today stems directly from the early Church in Constantinople. Ukrainians, Ruthenians, Slovacks, and Melkites follow Byzantine traditions. We trace our spiritual heritage to the Great Church of Hagia Sophia (The Church of Holy Wisdom).

I will include links if anyone wishes to read more into my Byzantine path because to type everything about my path will get really long...

Site on Byzantine Catholics (http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/num22.htm)
Site 2 on Byzantine Catholics (http://www.byzcath.org/Faith-and-Worship/Who-Are-Byzantine-Catholics.htm)

I hope this will be a good thread for others to share their beliefs and what they thought of mine. In no way is this a convert you thread...no way. This is just me sharing myself and my beliefs for conversation.

Silver Ivy
November 21st, 2005, 12:06 AM
thankyou for sharing your beliefs .... :)

I believe in many of the same things as you - the Trinity, Holy Spirit and Mary ... she is one of the reasons why I have stayed with Catholicsm in my beliefs. I often use rosary beads too.

As for the Byzantine Catholic Church ... I have never been to one, but your thread has inspired me to try and attend one of their services ...

Thanks for this thread ... it's nice to know that there are others who have similar beliefs to me...:floating:

Cyzarine
November 21st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks Silver Ivy. I thought I would add things I use and do from witchcraft. I use an almanac to help find the best time for certain spells. Astrology, well, I'm learning that. Tarot, oracle, runes, etc. Energy healing. Some Alchemy, but still learning this as well. Working with the elements and other beings. The use of gems and stones. Most of this you can easily find within my Church, usually hidden in some way, but still noticable to those who are looking for them.

I cast circles. I call the Angels as my quarters. I do rituals and spells. I use divination and astrology. I celebrate the quarters (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) with ritual appropriate for the change. I banish, cleanse, and bind. I protect, invoke, and evoke. I use a wand and an atheme. A cauldron, candles, and incense. I have a Bible and a BOS.

I also pray the rosary. I have differnt color rosaries for differnt purpouses(sp.). Green for prosperity, red for courage, etc...you get the idea. I wanted to add another link too for anyone who may have questions...it's a f.a.q. page.
Byzantine.net (http://www.byzantines.net/faq/#Do%20you%20celebrate%20mass%20the%20way%20it%20was%20celebrated%20before%20Vatican%20II?(Tridentine ))

Christo Pagan
November 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for those links regarding the Byzantine church and it's traditions. I've always been fascinated with early church history but the Byzantines are one aspect I know little about. Good reading. :)

Cyzarine
November 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for those links regarding the Byzantine church and it's traditions. I've always been fascinated with early church history but the Byzantines are one aspect I know little about. Good reading. :)

Thank you. I just figured I'd link so that people could read about who I am and what my faith is all about. It would have been to much and to long for me to type out everything...so I hope you liked the links.

Cyzarine
November 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Another thing I wanted to add here is the fact that Eastern rites...as I am did not use a Rosary until we communied with the Roman Catholics. What we used was a wool cord with 100 knots, called a Chotki (Russian name). It was used to recite the Jesus prayer or the Virgin prayer to some scets of Byzantines. Byzantines are manily Christ honorers...but Byzantines with Marian honor the Trinity, Christ is major, and Mary. The point of this cord was to increase your prayer upwards as much as you could. It is about being able to come to a point where you will continually pray this prayer in your heart no matter what you are doing. It is a way to connect mind, body, soul to divine.

Silver Ivy
November 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks Silver Ivy. I thought I would add things I use and do from witchcraft. I use an almanac to help find the best time for certain spells. Astrology, well, I'm learning that. Tarot, oracle, runes, etc. Energy healing. Some Alchemy, but still learning this as well. Working with the elements and other beings. The use of gems and stones. Most of this you can easily find within my Church, usually hidden in some way, but still noticable to those who are looking for them.

I cast circles. I call the Angels as my quarters. I do rituals and spells. I use divination and astrology. I celebrate the quarters (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) with ritual appropriate for the change. I banish, cleanse, and bind. I protect, invoke, and evoke. I use a wand and an atheme. A cauldron, candles, and incense. I have a Bible and a BOS.

I also pray the rosary. I have differnt color rosaries for differnt purpouses(sp.). Green for prosperity, red for courage, etc...you get the idea. I wanted to add another link too for anyone who may have questions...it's a f.a.q. page.
Byzantine.net (http://www.byzantines.net/faq/#Do%20you%20celebrate%20mass%20the%20way%20it%20was%20celebrated%20before%20Vatican%20II?(Tridentine ))

I am trying to incorporate all these things as well, so I admire you being able to do this. I still feel like I am in the beginning stages of making it all work together and haven't got around to casting circles yet ( or at least haven't as a christian witch). Energy healing, crystals, tarot and herbs are all things that I am trying to work with ...
As ofr using different colored rosary beads - that is a really good idea ... I will have to try that one, thanks:floating:

CleftOfLight
November 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Very interesting to read about an Eastern version of Christainity.

Cyzarine
November 25th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Yes it is. I am still learning about my Byzantine rite. Right now I am on a silence but I chose to log in to check up on things just on Fridays. Maybe I can post some more when I get back completely. I will be learning more in depth. The silence is a part of Byzantine Catholics life. Yet, not many know of this because it's an old tradition. The whole point is moving away from man made gadgets and materialism and getting back to spirituality. This first week is my week to cut ties with materialism. Second through fifth week is meditaion and prayer. When it is all done I will let yu all know what I learned.

MariThorn
November 25th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the informative thread. I'm just now learning Roman Catholicism, and it is interesting to see what our Brothers and Sisters in Eastern Catholicism do and believe. I gave up Computers for Embers this September. It was not as hard to do as I thought it would. I was amazed to find where a lot of my time was spent. Good luck!

Silver Ivy
November 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Yes it is. I am still learning about my Byzantine rite. Right now I am on a silence but I chose to log in to check up on things just on Fridays. Maybe I can post some more when I get back completely. I will be learning more in depth. The silence is a part of Byzantine Catholics life. Yet, not many know of this because it's an old tradition. The whole point is moving away from man made gadgets and materialism and getting back to spirituality. This first week is my week to cut ties with materialism. Second through fifth week is meditaion and prayer. When it is all done I will let yu all know what I learned.

that sounds really interesting ... I will be interested to hear of what your experiences have been with this, and makes me more interested in the Byzantine Catholic religion ... your experience reminds of the Hermit - going with in to find guidance ... hope it goes well :)

Tigerlily
November 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Sounds very interesting how you blend it all together.

Is Byzantine Catholicism like Orthodox? Sounds very similar.

My family is Orthodox and although I do not agree with their teachings and stance on certain things (gay marriage, abortion, etc), I absolutely love the chants. Especially the Easter chants. So creepy and eerie but beautiful. I have taken the chants and tones and replaced some wordings to fit my own Path and it's so magical when I chant it.

Best of luck with your spirtual path!

Cyzarine
December 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I am finally back from my silence. When I get more time I will complete my thoughts and feeling which will share a great deal about my Byzantine Catholic beliefes. Anyways, I must go but yes, Byzantine is really closely related to Orthodox. We where the same church at once, but we communed with the Vatican (for what reason I am still learning).