PDA

View Full Version : What are you all doing for the Holidays?

Cyzarine
November 21st, 2005, 10:46 AM
I celebrate on Dec. 25 and January 7th...which is the Byzantine Christmas. We have a big family dinner which consists of at least 12 different foods on the table. This is all traditional and steeped in our heratige. It's mandatory for us to have Kutia (a ritual food made from cooked wheat, syrup, honey, poppy seeds, and raisins). This dinner is usually on Dec. 24 and Jan. 7th. Both are in the evening, usually 7pm. We eat hearty and then snack on cookies and cakes. We usually don't move from the table until 10 at night. Then we sit and chat and take pictures among other family-ish things. We exchange and open gifts, children going first then adults. We attend midnight mass which is usaully 2 hours I think...I haven't been to one in ages...but I plan on going again and every year.

LacyRoze
November 21st, 2005, 11:03 PM
Christmas is a rollercoaster ride of emotions for me. I love Christmas, but I also hate it. Why do I hate it? I lost my father 8yrs ago this Christmas day. Yes, I know, I shouldn't still be feeling this way but I do. Anyway....Christmas Eve I have a sort of open house. I open my home to anyone who wishes to come, friends, family, anyone. I usually have tons of food and desserts and spend the evening talking with old friends and new, sharing memories and just reconnecting. Christmas morning I get up early and make my annual trip to my fathers' grave. I always take him a Christmas arrangement and spend some time just talking with him. I then return home and bake an assortment of muffins, make hot chocolate for the kids and coffee for whatever adults happen to be here. I wake the adults first and let them get their caffeine fix, then I wake the kids. We open gifts and call family members who can't be with us. I usually cook a traditional dinner and again, my door is open to anyone who wishes to join us. Christmas evening hubby and I usually spend some quiet time together. Hubby lets me vent, cry, whatever I need and we just enjoy being together. Before bed I also try to spend some time in meditation and just centering myself. Some years the holidays are difficult for me, some years I make it thru just fine. This year? I'm not sure yet but I know I'll be surrounded with the love of family and friends to help me thru...

MysticWitch
November 21st, 2005, 11:05 PM
I will be with the inlaws and then my family

CleftOfLight
November 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Just another day,I dont celebrate.

David19
November 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
I'm not exactly christian but this christmas, i will probably be opening my presents :), giving presents to family and friends (probably not all on the 25th since my friends will probably be going back home for christmas, hopefully i'll have money to buy some things), maybe making something to eat, that Kutia sounds like a good idea, eating, probably watching tv, working out (to burn off christmas food) and maybe phoning friends.

It's kind of what i might do.

lordgalyan
November 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
We usually have our Yule dinner on the 21st. My wife makes a German dish and we exchange 1 gift usually something to do with our chosen path.

Then of course because all the other family members around us celebrate Christmas we do the Christmas thing.

For Christmas my wife makes lasagna.

This year is special because we are having a weekend camping trip with our witches group (primitive) the weekend before Yule and we are having a full blown Yule ritual that we have been working on and I believe it will be wonderful.

Thatís it for us
Lordgalyan
:dinnertim

Christo Pagan
November 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
I'll be eating at both my in-law's and my parent's for Thanksgiving, which means I probably will be too stuffed to do any shopping on Friday. :rolleyes: