PDA

View Full Version : Election 2008....

JCPLiberty
November 22nd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hey all, never too soon! Even so, doesn't it seem like the Presidential elections are starting earlier and earlier every year???

Just wanted to know everyones thoughts, etc.

Peace,
JP

brymble
November 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
actually i'm voting for cthulhu.

JCPLiberty
November 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Haha, I was thinking Voldemort for President myself...

NiftyWings
November 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I do vote Green most of the time. Of course at this point, I'm so sick of that embarrassment we have in office now, I don't care if we elect Jim Carrey!

JCPLiberty
November 22nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
What issues do folks think are most important and why?

I am leaning towards foreign policy. I think we need to pull our troops out of every country around the world and stop acting like Big Brother to the world. I think our Government acts enough like Big Brother here.

Catiana
November 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
I'll be voting for myself, I'm going to make a great Supreme Ruler of the Universe :lol: :floating: :smoke: :ballonsmi _happydanc

NiftyWings
November 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
I think we need to get control of the government out of the hands of corporate interests!

JCPLiberty
November 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
I agree, Nifty. Corporate power is just an extention of government power. And as Lord Acton once said, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Jenne
November 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
I don't vote for parties...I vote for a president. I stopped voting for Parties in the 90's.

JCPLiberty
November 22nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I don't vote for parties...I vote for a president. I stopped voting for Parties in the 90's.
I understand the sentiment. But the question was hypothetical, as in, if your vote elected the president, which party would you want them to be from, idealogically. But I couldn't fit all that in the question!

Thanks for your reply.

Serendipity
November 22nd, 2005, 11:17 PM
I really want someone serious about domestic issues. We have a whole heaping buttload of problems going on in our back yard and we're out fixin' the rest of the world. I really don't care if it's a republican, independant, democrat, or an oompa loompa. No more extreme agendas, please. I'm looking for a moderate President, moderate Senate and moderate House.

Is that too much to ask? lol

Jenne
November 23rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
I understand the sentiment. But the question was hypothetical, as in, if your vote elected the president, which party would you want them to be from, idealogically. But I couldn't fit all that in the question!

Thanks for your reply.

You're welcome! ;)

Hm, well, none at the moment. I have no party affiliation, and that's for philosophical reasons. I dislike the way both parties in power handle themselves, and I dislike politicians in general. I'm a "may the best man win" person, I guess. I don't have a particular political idealogy I follow at the moment...I'm a reformed Conservative, now largely in the middle, but can swinng left or right depending on the issue.

I'm the "reasonable middle."

CoolJ
November 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
I don't know what to choose. I find that political party alignment means little more than comparing what brand of underwear people wear...

Storm Moon
November 23rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
I'm going Green myself. I swear if I get $36 I'm joining their party! GO GREEN PARTY!

9-2-2
November 24th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I voted "Other".

I nominate Gidget (http://www.everwonder.com/david/tacobell/story.html) of the Chihuahua World Domination Revolution (http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war/192020)!!!!!!!!1!11!1oneone

Storm Moon
November 24th, 2005, 02:27 AM
I voted "Other".

I nominate Gidget (http://www.everwonder.com/david/tacobell/story.html) of the Chihuahua World Domination Revolution (http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war/192020)!!!!!!!!1!11!1oneone

:rollingla That's cute!

iaphoenix
November 26th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I noticed a post a while back dealing with domestic policies. Frankly, I'm much more interested in a candidate's foreign policy ideas.

Let's face it, if the candidates were honest their stump speech would say "Vote for me and I will go crawling to Congress to get my initiatives passed." Congress holds a great deal more power with regard to domestic policy than the President. Presidents can use TR's bully pulpit, but they don't get a vote on the bill.

Foreign policy, on the other hand, is an area in which the president can act much more unilaterally. Given that, foreign policy is where I focus when I look at candidates.

Daniel
November 26th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Voting Libertarian.

The more I think about it, the more I think I prefer a government that gets the hell out of my way.

AlAskendir
November 27th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I voted 'democratic' - - - with the proviso that it's for Hillary, because I reallly really want Bill to be the first gentleman before he goes on to the first president of the United Nation-States of the World!

Garnet
November 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Democrat, but only until a really liberal party is started.

Ahautenites
December 15th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Just dropping in for a second. My state's governor, Mitt Romney, just announced that he's only going to be a one-term governor because he needs to prepare for his Presidential campaign.

People who vote for Republicans, please vote for any other Republican but this guy. He's a moron. (And if he were a Democrat, I'd still be saying the same thing.)

Hangatyr 13
December 15th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Too many people vote for a candidate just because he's from a certain party. I wouldn't do this even if there was a party I agree with. Some issues that are big with me are foriegn policy (stop coddling terrorists), the military (a raise would be nice, but unlikely), border security (stop coddling illegals), gun control (support the second amendment), and faith-based initiatives (kick Jesus out of the government). I have a few personal critiria that I go by when I vote for a president, the most important of which, to me, is that he must have military experience. If they ran, I'd probably vote for John McCain or Jessie Ventura, not that I think Ventura will run. I'm going to write him a letter or something.

Ptah
February 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Democrat, but only until a really liberal party is started.

:rollingla

SalemWitchChild
February 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I normally vote Dem. I'm interested to see what Hillary does in debates.

Myrr
February 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'm voting libertarian as usual. Once the democrats get into power no one will be able to tell the difference between them and the republicans. You'll just hear the same ole yaking without any substance behind it. One more thing, the taxes on small businesses will go up a little resulting in some workers being fired, but that will be blamed on pro-business conservatives.

Daniel
February 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I normally vote Dem. I'm interested to see what Hillary does in debates.

Please, please, do not vote for Hillary.

I swear, I promise, I'll vote for whoever the Democratic party nominates, so long as they don't nominate that bitch.

Myrr
February 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Hillary's campain will be over as soon as someone gets her to go into a screaming tirad in front of the cameras.

Temptation
February 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Please, please, do not vote for Hillary.

I swear, I promise, I'll vote for whoever the Democratic party nominates, so long as they don't nominate that bitch.

John Kerry? ;)

Daniel
February 5th, 2007, 12:23 AM
John Kerry? ;)

I will vote for John Kerry, Al Gore, Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson -- maybe not ANYbody, but damn near anybody.

Temptation
February 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I will vote for John Kerry, Al Gore, Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson -- maybe not ANYbody, but damn near anybody.

Heh. I can dig it. She's really starting to freak me out too.

Gryph
February 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM

I voted "other" because I also do not vote according to party. Although I'm a registered Independent, I generally tend to vote for Democratic candidates, but I've voted for quite a few Republican candidates if I like their positions.

I've probably vote for Guiliani before I voted for Hillary. Although if it came down to Romney and Hillary, I'd take my chances and vote for Hillary. 'Cause Romney is a turning into a real nutjob, and I didn't even vote for him back when he was pretending to be reasonable.

However, if he could run again, I've vote for Bill again in a heartbeat.

Daniel
February 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
You know, if all it took to get Bill switched for Hillary on the Democratic ticket was a donation to the Sierra Club and a gaggle of top-notch hookers, I'd throw down for that.