PDA

View Full Version : Star Anise question...

Flamelily
November 23rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
I've been wanting to try recipes that require star anise but when my mom looks them over she discourages me from trying because of an incident with my uncle. Years back when he was in college or something, he and his roomates tried some recipe with it but put too much and they all ended up with nosebleeds. My recipes avg 5-8 the most and that number is on my mom's "high" list. Now i know that one should never use too much of n e thing, but i wonder if it's really the star anise that caused the nosebleeds and if so, approximately how much could they have used?!

Tigerlily
November 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Very odd. My mother drinks anise tea and I don't ever remember her ever having a nosebleed my whole life.

Flamelily
November 24th, 2005, 01:27 AM
i think the tea would be fine... apparently they use a LOT lol

ap Dafydd
November 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I've never had any ill effects from star anise. Mind you , I've never used more than one in a recipe, tend to think it would overwhelm everything else if you used too much of it.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

MariThorn
November 24th, 2005, 09:21 AM
When I make my Anise Cookies we crush at least 6 to 8 seeds or what ever it takes to make the required measurement of Anise. We've never had nosebleeds from it. Italians adore Anise in their sweets . . . I agree with ap Dafydd I've never heard of it doing harmful things to you in food. Well unless you don't shell it first ;)

Flamelily
November 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
thank you everyone! i think i can go on w/ my recipes w/o worry :D