PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat burnt food?

MysticWitch
November 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I sit here as Im munching on an almost totally burnt waffel and wonder why Im eating it? It's black! :foh:

Anyone else eat food that has been burnt or are you more likely to toss it out if it has a burnt spot? :lol:

Serendipity
November 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
It really just depends on what the food actually is. If it's hamburger meat, yes. If it's a cake - no. lol

Astara Seague
November 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
some things are better a bit burnt
marshemellows, toast, some meats
but it isnt my preferance I said I would tolerate it:)

Raven Reed
November 25th, 2005, 01:08 PM
:blech: Ewwww. I like my toast just barely toasted. I don't like my marshmallows with black spots so I microwave my smores. I don't like anything burned.

Tigerlily
November 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I hate burnt food.

I would rather my food undercooked than burnt.

Then again, I'm vegan and I don't consume meat, dairy, or eggs, so any uncooked vegan food won't make me deathly ill with food poisoning...although somethings might my belly hurt (like raw dough).

Jenne
November 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Depends on what's burnt, and how burnt it is.

Crispy, burned bacon is good...so is the burnt bbq chicken skin...but burnt toast? Ick, pooey! No way! Or burned cake/breads of any sort! Blech!

Burned rice, now, yummy! The stuff at the bottom of the rice cooker is relished in this house--mostly b/c it's crunchy!

WitchJezebel
November 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I like burned marshmallows - I'll set them on fire and eat the blackened parts and the inside is like molten lava. I don't like the burned crispy part at the bottom of the rice pots, my family does though. There's a dish called Tadik (sp?) from I believe Lebanon, that uses the crispy bottom of the rice and serves it topped with a lentil stew - I'll eat that occasionally, but I like my rice fluffy with no crunch.

Crystal Raven
November 25th, 2005, 06:08 PM
marshmellows would be the one and only exception, but I wouldn't throw it out in the garbage, but out to the racoons, they'll eat anything!!!

dragonprincess
November 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I love scortch, the browned rice in the bottom of the rice cooker, yummy. I horde it. I didn't even know about it until I read about it in a Chinese cookbook, and I decied to try it, very very yummy, toasty and nutty, not bitter or burned tasting. The chinese may even make tea out of it, if no one likes to eat it, or they don't won poultry to feed it to.
Scortch Tea:
After all the cooked rice has been scraped out of the pot, and all thats left is the scortch, pour in about 4-6 cups of cool water(depending on how big your pot is) bring to boil, remove from heat, strain, and sweeten, if desired. Very good fro the digestion.

Skylah
November 25th, 2005, 09:44 PM
If my children or grandchildren burn it, I'll eat it.... and hey when I was first on my own, if I had refused to eat burnt food, I would have starved to death!

Blessings,
Skylah

Anyanka
November 25th, 2005, 09:46 PM
It sort of depends on what i'm eating. When I cook (rarely) I usually burn the food...so i eat it. So yes I do eat burnt food most of the time :lol:

enchancea
November 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM
If its not too bad Id eat it

Chibi-Fallon
November 26th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Depends on what it is and how burned. I'm not very picky about that sort of thing however.
Also depends on how hungry I am. :lol:

Tzhebee
November 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I voted that I'm a useless cook because it's dead-on. But, I will also toss anything even remotely burnt....unless I can remove the burntness without it harming the rest of the food item. Like french bread...if the edge is burnt, I can cut of edge and eat the rest...but if meat is burnt, the whole thing tastes icky. :sick:

raminda
November 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM
No, I throw out anything I burn.

Ishtara
November 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I would throw it out. I really dislike smoky / burnt flavours, so I would have a hard time eating it. Plus if it is anything that was cooked with fat, eating burnt fat is not exactly a healthy thing to do...

Flaire-FireStar
November 28th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I can tolerate food if it's not burnt through-and-through. It's mostly grilled cheese sandwiches where I get the most burn because I can't stand at the stove and stare at my sandwich making sure it's perfectly golden brown. :hehehe:

ewok
November 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM
hehehe.. i like certain burnt foods.. in particular red meat and bacon .. i like my steak burnt to a crisp and my absolute fav is fried to death bacon..

crunch,crunch,crunch..

MysticWitch
December 3rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
:lol: @ fired to death bacon

Anyanka
December 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
:lol: I love fired to death bacon! :lol:

ewok
December 5th, 2005, 01:39 AM
another way of saying fried to death bacon is "cremated crispy crunchies" but you have to do it the right way otherwise its not crunchy enuf.. oh.. and make damn sure you have turned the fire alarms OFF when you make it as it can be quite a smokey experiance.. :dinnertim

bbnflpn
December 7th, 2005, 09:53 AM
i like my food on the crispy side, if it doesnt have black burnt stuff on part of it, it is not done. there is a wonderful taste to char for some reason.

i like my hot dogs burned almost totaly. once my dad left them on as a joke and when he went back to get them this gust of wind came and blew them off the grill, i would have eaten them if hte dog didnt get to them first. all he could do to hold in his laughter was say "so are those burned enough for you"

i do set off our smoke alarm quite often, i sware that my smokeing will set that damn thing off. it hasnt but it seems like it would. i see even a minor bit of smoke i know my food is done, and that the alarm is gonna sound of corse this probably makes my neighbors alittle miffed cause i like to cook at like 3am. but i usualy prepare for such things and i will go and wave my hot pad in front of it for a while before i open the oven, then after i open it i will run back over to it and wave some more, it will usualy beep off once or twice before i get it to stop (my boyfreind actualy thought that you press the botton to get it to stop so he sits there and presses the botton makeing it go off more, hes so funny) when they come and check it i always say yah it works i sware, but you can check it any way just for your records.

bbnflpn
December 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM
ok i want to add that i also will not even think about eating bacon unless it is completely burned. i have trouble eating the stuff in the first place (my yummy doesnt like pork at all) and if i ask for it burned at the resturant the waitress looks at me like im psycho, and they bring me half cooked bacon (ok probably regularly cooked for most people) so now i have taken to eating turkey bacon (not the jenie-o stuff cause it is less fat, but the luis rich stuff that is soooooooo yummy) and then i burn the crap out of it, and i toast an english muffin with butter under the broiler till its dark golden brown, and i will make my hash browns

you grate a potato in to a pan and let butter melt so it goes under it, put fresh ground pepper and ground salt in it, and then when it is golden brown flip it over and let the butter melt under the other side with the fresh ground pepper and ground salt untill it is golden brown, this makes a crispy mushy yummy feast for the mouth, and then i put the bacon and the hashbrown on the muffin, or sometimes just the bacon and the muffin

yah im werid

ewok
December 7th, 2005, 08:02 PM
ok i want to add that i also will not even think about eating bacon unless it is completely burned. i have trouble eating the stuff in the first place (my yummy doesnt like pork at all) and if i ask for it burned at the resturant the waitress looks at me like im psycho, and they bring me half cooked bacon (ok probably regularly cooked for most people) so now i have taken to eating turkey bacon (not the jenie-o stuff cause it is less fat, but the luis rich stuff that is soooooooo yummy) and then i burn the crap out of it, and i toast an english muffin with butter under the broiler till its dark golden brown, and i will make my hash browns

you grate a potato in to a pan and let butter melt so it goes under it, put fresh ground pepper and ground salt in it, and then when it is golden brown flip it over and let the butter melt under the other side with the fresh ground pepper and ground salt untill it is golden brown, this makes a crispy mushy yummy feast for the mouth, and then i put the bacon and the hashbrown on the muffin, or sometimes just the bacon and the muffin

yah im werid

that sounds really nice.. i gotta try that right now as you got me hungry.. hmm.. i wonder what it would taste like if i burn some tomato and put that on top with cracked pepper..:crazyman:

bbnflpn
December 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
that sounds good too. we should make a thread on burnt food recipes only lol.

really i am a wonderful cook, people dont even realize they are eating burned food lol cause i will serve it to who ever, and they always want to know my seceret i tell them i cook it with love lol

bbnflpn
December 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM
i out did my self today i actually set the smoke alarm off 2 times durring the same cooking session for the same thing lololol, it went off so i went to tend to it, it stopped so i turned on the fan and walked back over and finished cooking my garlic bread, then i opened up the oven to take it out and set it off again, even with the fan on (both the one over the oven and a stand fan that i had pointed in to the kitchen lol) oh well at least i was cooking at 8:30pm and not 3am lol

VelvetBlade
December 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM
burnt marshmallows,...very well done poptarts....and corn on the cob drenched in butter, wrapped in foil and burnt on the grill. YUM ~

~VB

Catiana
December 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
If I accidently burn something I usually don't eat it, but I purposely burn bacon because I like it really really really crispy, grilled cheese sandwiches and french toast. Its the only way I'll eat them.

Rowan Darkmoon
December 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I like most things burnt...popcorn, hotdogs, steaks, pork steaks, marshmellows, hashbrowns, grilled cheese. :dinnertim

I think that maybe it's just because I burn things so often I've come to like the taste. I tend to multi-task too much when I cook.

Makas
December 12th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I like burnt marshmallows, that's it! My toast better be like warm bread, and charred meat is just wrong for me :) I don't eat steaks or any huge chunk of meat, maybe thats why.

Suzette
July 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Blackened absolutely, burnt never.

Lauren Michele
July 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I love a burnt hot dog off the grill.

Fairy_Princess
July 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Some food is designed to be Charred (ie "burnt") and is tasty that way. I love a properly "Pittsburghed" Steak.

However food that is not supposed to be burnt I will not touch when burnt. The lone exception is I love burnt popcorn.

blueangel
August 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Lots of foods taste better a bit black - BBQ food, marshmallows, etc. but toast isn't very nice when it's blackened.

SidneyCozzoi
October 23rd, 2007, 04:36 AM
I hate wasting anything but if it's burnt I can't eat it... we study that sort of thing in the yoga I teach so it makes sense as to why, but blach I can't eat burnt things.

Lightning Strike
October 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Do I eat burnt food? *Thinks for a moment*
Yep. Possibly because I am a crappy cook. *LAUGHS*:smileroll

Fiamma
October 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I LOVE burned potato chips and french fries and fried potatoes...not completely charred black, but a nice deep brown. Slightly burned cheese on pizza is really good too.

I second the well-charred marshmallows thing. And campfire food just isn't campfire food without a little burned spot here and there. Mmmmm....mountain pie pizza...

Dammit, now I want friend potatoes...

lizea
October 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Nope! My body is a strictly no burnt food zone...

Rick
October 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Slightly burned cheese on pizza is really good too.
What IS it about melted, slightly brned cheese that makes it taste soooooooooooooo damned good?

When ordering burgers or steaks in restaurants, I always tell 'em to 'burn it'... it gives 'em the idea that I do not want even the slightest hint of pink in the meat (I have been known to tip the cook if my meat is exceptionally well done).

lizea
October 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
What IS it about melted, slightly brned cheese that makes it taste soooooooooooooo damned good?

When ordering burgers or steaks in restaurants, I always tell 'em to 'burn it'... it gives 'em the idea that I do not want even the slightest hint of pink in the meat (I have been known to tip the cook if my meat is exceptionally well done).
Eww! Sicky... people always make fun of me because I eat "man steak"... really undone, I was told it was unhealthy for them to cook it as rare as I wanted it once, when I asked if it could be slightly less cooked... hehe I can't stand burnt steak, that is the worst taste in the world, and my step dad always burns my steak, so I have to cook it myself... heh...

~Elise~
October 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
yea--I'm with ya there.... I like mine medium rare... so if the cook does mine the way I like AND still gets Rick's well-done, it's all good.

Too often, nope... mine is more medium than rare... *sigh*

Elise

wolf
October 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
A little charcoal is good for the digestion, isn't it? :D

I like my toast overdone, my waffles deep brown, my burgers well, and my chicken crispy.

Zelan
October 26th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Burnt toast is pretty good...as long as its not a cinder.

LadyWillow
October 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I really don't like burnt food, but if it's not too terrible and it doesn't taste completely gross, I'll eat it anyway, or about as much of it as I can stand. However I'd try to avoid it if possible.

Nox_Mortus
October 27th, 2007, 03:42 AM
depends on how mad it is, if it's just charred a little it's fine, if it's totally burnt to a crisp then I feed it to the dog.

CoolJ
October 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Some foods are good burnt.... however if it's totally dehydrated, or totally ashes, then no, I can't stomach it and it goes to the trash.

Catiana
October 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Nope, if its burnt, I throw it out.

SilentDreams
November 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Depends on what it is and how burnt. But usually if it's not completely burnt (as in no more than about 30% is burnt) I'll still eat it. I may not love the flavour but food is food, I don't like throwing anything out.

gillian_greenleaf
November 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
It really just depends on what the food actually is. If it's hamburger meat, yes. If it's a cake - no. lol

You've got a point. I love burnt popcorn (drives my husband CRAZY), but I can't stand burnt baked goods. :weirdsmil

Libris
November 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'll eat burned food, but only because I think it's a shame to waste it. Marshmallows, though... that's a different story! I like mine Cajun style.

Rasari
January 25th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Depending on what it is, I'll eat it burnt.

If its meat, no problem.
If its a hot dog, I won't eat it UNLESS it IS burnt.

Bread items, I'm less likely to eat burnt.

matella18
February 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Burnt cheese is great!