PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Holiday Trees

Sun Sprite
November 28th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Well, as you can imagine, I dreaded putting up the tree this year, we didn't even have time to last year. I put it up yeasterday, and am still as sore as can be. My outside cat wonders why I have a tree in the house (it isn't real), my indoor cat has no idea what it is, but thankfully hasn't knocked it over yet, And the dog just looks at it funny.

If it is still standing on Wednesday, I may decorate it then.
I remember one year, we put up a fence around it to keep the baby kitten out.

Any fun holiday pet stories to share?

Ceres
November 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Every cat we have ever owned had to climb the tree and have it fall over while they were in it, lights, breakables and all before they understood that the tree was not for climbing. It seems once they have experienced a brief flight on the indoor tree, they come to the understanding that it has significant differences from the ones outdoors ;)

SphinYote
November 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM
.... It seems once they have experienced a brief flight on the indoor tree, they come to the understanding that it has significant differences from the ones outdoors ;)

Even those cats that have no experience with outdoor trees :D.

My cat had to do the ritual climbing of the christmas tree as well--but he knows he's not supposed to, so naturally the big CRASH was in the middle of the night... He seemed so shocked, too...:lol:

Anubis
November 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Ours are insane.. they have knocked their cat tree down at least a dozen times... so ours will be hung from the ceiling whenever we decide to put it up... The cats would just have way too much fun!

SilverMaiden
November 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM
One year I bought a citrus evergreen tree and the cats left it alone. :D

Catiana
November 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Nobie never bothered my trees, other than the first year I had her, after that she pretty much left them alone. But now with the kittens who are crazy and Orion who I don't if she has ever seen one before we've decided to only put up a table top tree which is going on top of the television well out of the reach of all three.

Dio
November 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I can't have a tree because my cat eats trees. I got a fresh tree one year which turned out to be a bad idea. I had to take my cat to the emergency vet on christmas eve because he had been eating the needles and his mouth was all swollen. The tree was taken down that night.

The sad thing is, I can't even have a fake tree because my stupid cat tries to eat those too. I have found gross little piles of cat puke combined with the fake green needles. I'm not okay with that. So the tree thing doesn't happen at my house, unless I get a small potted tree that I can put up where he can't get to it.