PDA

View Full Version : Baby cravings!!

Marcasite
November 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Lately, I've been getting them bad. Yearnings so great I can feel them in my stomache. The sound of a baby crying gives me physical twinges. I'm so desperate for a child. I am willing to invest every emotional resource I have. I am willing to do anything for the baby I have not yet conceived but already adore. But I'm only 20. I'm in university, graduating with my first degree next year. I don't work, though I'm looking for something part time and have a few prospects. My boyfriend works at tim hortons to pay all of our bills and half the rent for our itty bitty one bedroom appt, and my mom pays the other half. We're capital broke. And I've got years of time ahead of me, to get my 2nd degree, for my boyfriend to get a better job, to get things together, to wait until we can aford a house with picket fence yada yada. but I don't want to wait. I want a baby NOW. but for the good of my baby, I'm waiting at least 5 years, I don't want to wait, man I don't want to wait one more second. Does this make me selfish? Crazy? Should I stop obsessing and try and get a new focus? Or should I throw my carefully crafted plans to the wind, get pregnant, go to school and work part time and finish my degree part time? Now that really would be selfish wouldn't it? I'm so tempted though. someone talk me out of my crazy obsessions. I need a big stern lecture. *massive baby craving*

Ziana
November 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM
since you are looking for part time work, ask and see if your university has a child care facility and apply there, or apply for part time at another place. This way, your physical need to hold crying children will be appeased, and you can get some practical hands on experience (if you don't already have some) for the time when you do have your own child. And please, do wait until you finish school to have a child. I say this because you are already there and want to finish. Saying that you will go back and finish part time works for some, but it does take longer, since you can't take as many classes at once. Also keep in mind that many parents say they will finish school after the child is born, but due to unforeseen circumstances are unable to do so.

So, if you really want a better chance of giving your child(ren) the picket fence and yada yada life, tell your hormones to take a chill and finish school. Putting school on hold to purposely get pregnant and have a child won't do either of you any good. I say purposely because life doesn't come with a garauntee, and surprises do happen.

Good luck and I wish you and your future little ones the best.

Serendipity
November 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I want a baby NOW. but for the good of my baby, I'm waiting at least 5 years, I don't want to wait, man I don't want to wait one more second. Does this make me selfish?

Yes, it is selfish. BUT, selfish isn't always so bad. I firmly promote doing things that make you happy.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Although I already have a baby. I'm flat out ready for another one. I don't want to wait. I don't want several years in between their ages, I don't want to be 65 years old when my youngest turns 18. I want another one RIGHT NOW!

But, financially this is impossible. My husband decided to get out of the military so now we're stuck in a rut. Another child would force us onto welfare, food stamps, complete government assistance. With another child, we can get food for free (breastmilk), but diapers (cloth or disposable) are very expensive and I'd have to diaper 2 kids, healthcare for the child (you're in Canada - lucky!), clothing and toys are expensive. As it is, at this time, we can't afford all the things we want for our daughter, and it's a horrible feeling.

Or should I throw my carefully crafted plans to the wind, get pregnant, go to school and work part time and finish my degree part time?

My bestfriend had a child before she finished college. That was 5 years ago, she was 2 semesters from graduating and she's still yet to do it. It's not as easy as it sounds. If you really want to finish school, I'd suggest waiting for the baby.

How does your boyfriend feel about this?

Kalika
November 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
:hugz:

Hang in there a bit... and love on all the babies you can. Babysit, etc. That'll help!

halfwaynowhere
November 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM
get a puppy... seriously... part of me has been wanting a baby as well, but i'm only 17, and i don't plan on having kids until i'm at least 25 and have a good stable job. a boyfriend or husband might be nice, too... lol... but seriously, iwas about the same as you are, every time i heard a baby cry, it made me want to go over and comfort it... then i started babysitting for two young children, and i realized i want to be able to do that full time... but i have plans, and my plans are oing to stay in place as well as they can. but i did get a puppy... and she is sweet and loving, but needs to be taken care of... when she cries i need to be there for her, i play with her, dress her up in stupid sweaters, feed her, train her... its just not as much work in the long run as a human baby, she will grow up faster, and i will be able to leave her alone a lot sooner than i can with a baby, so i can still have a life outside of home... sometimes our clocks go off at times that are inconvenient for us, and all we can do is substitute and wait...

Marcasite
November 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM
aww thanks for all the advice. I have a plan here. I'm going to finish my degree next year, and finish my next degree, while my fiance gets his apprenticeship in electrical done so I can stay home full time for a while, then start out in the working world. I care about this baby so much that I want to do what's best for it which is wait 5 years. It seems like such a long time! I can't get a puppy because my fiance works all day and I go to school all day. I have a very affectionate cat though, but she really doesn't take to being dressed up! Lately, I've been knitting some booties hats and mits for preemies. It helps, somewhat knowing I'm helping somebody else's baby. I know in my rational mind that I need to wait, and barring some unforseeable birth control failure, I'm going to wait. I think what I really need is a hobby, something I really enjoy that will keep my mind busy and occupied until i'm able to have that baby.

dragonprincess
December 1st, 2005, 12:39 AM
Hey Jen, i agree with what's been said, see if you can't spend time with babies, at the college daycare, or something. Knit your booties and stuff, keep the absolute cutes ones, and donate the rest to the children's ward of your locale hospital.
best of luck, hun. You can alwasy come over and babysit my two year old girl!

SilverClaw
December 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM
You know one thing I have learned no matter how you plan for your future, and say your going to do this or your going to do that to make a better future for yourself and furutre child and family, The goddess has a way of just letting things happen, what mean is when you are meant to have a child it will happen.

Your situation reminds me a some friends who after they got married were in a simliar siutation as yours they swore up and down they would wait till they graduated before they had a child and so on and well 6 months later they had thier first child (and that was over 5 years ago) and last I heard they are now expecting thier second.. :D

As for me I am craving for a 4th child but I know that is not possible I like the suggestions made about babysitting and getting a pet though :D

So best of luck to you for what ever path you may take or will occur for you :)

dragonprincess
December 1st, 2005, 09:11 AM
they swore up and down they would wait till they graduated before they had a child and so on and well 6 months later they had thier first child

6 Months? Was she three months pregnant and didn't know it??

SilverClaw
December 1st, 2005, 09:20 AM
6 Months? Was she three months pregnant and didn't know it?? LOl ok should rephrase that 6 months later they found out they were pregnant with their first child. ( teach me to post when I am tired :) ) Thanks dragonprincess for pointing that out.

Winter_wolf
December 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Everytime I get feeling like I need another baby... we get a kitten.

DreamSpell333
December 1st, 2005, 04:26 PM
I understand what your feeling..When i was 19-20. I wanted a baby vety badly also. I think it was alot to do with hormones. My daughter was the best thing that ever happened to us, BUT with that came medical bills. The first year was hard,yet looking back now. VERY simple..:) I didnt get a chance to go to college. I really wish i had,but then i wouldn't have met my husband, so i dont regret it. Now im pregnant with # 2. Luckily my daughter is old enough,that she's potty trained. so we dont have that added cost. were living with his mom so we can get back on our feet,pay our bills,and have a clean start.

Please wait to have a baby,Finish your schooling and get a GOOD paying job,so that when you do have a baby,you will be prepared and able to get by without lots of added stress. I wish you the best hun! :hugz:

Kalika
January 31st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Lately its been Honey Buzzers cereal and Airheads candy.

I went through a phase about these when I was pregnant with my son also.

Also LOVE huge glasses of chocolate milk. But when I'm not pregnant, I have a hard time gagging it down. :lol: Now, I can't seem to get enough!

Hee hee... wrong thread. :D

Rowan Darkmoon
January 31st, 2006, 03:46 PM
See what you can do to get your baby jonesings out. Can you babysit as a part time job? Can you volunteer to help out your friends that have young kids? I was jonesing for a baby too a couple of years ago, but I honestly didn't understand the AMOUNT of work it takes to take care of a baby, and then a toddler, and then a child, and then a teenager etc...

I didn't understand until I started seeing R.S. and taking care of his then 4 year old son. Now, I don't know if I ever want to have more kids. :lol: I love the kid to death, but it is a lot of work, and money, and energy. So, enjoy the time that you spend babyless. You've already got a lot of work to do with school and whatnot...enjoy your Saturdays that you can sleep in a little and not having to argue about what you're going to eat for dinner.

Babies aren't just for a snuggle or two, they are for your entire life, and they don't stay babies forever. You've got plenty of time to have one, and when you're ready the Goddess will let you know. ;)

WokeUpDead
January 31st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Instinct is a terrible thing. Every time it tries to tell you something you should slap it across the face.

RunningRiot
February 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
You're just experience natural animalistic urges; to multiply. Be stronger than your primitive skills and learn to indulge in your own unique personal self; deny those urges that would send you even deeper into bad financial situations. Wait until you can afford it; you owe that much to your self, your boyfriend, your mother AND your baby.

Marcasite
February 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
man how did this thread get bumped? :P I've got things under control. I'm finishing my school, waiting for my fiance to get a better job, and waiting until we have some money saved up. I do get cravings but I'm really not going to act on them right now. Recently, it's been my fiance saying that he wants a baby now, so I'm the one saying "you know we need to wait, honey" :lol:
Besides one of my dear friends is now pregnant so I've been knitting baby clothes like crazy and will probably go down and visit and babysit for them a whole lot!