PDA

View Full Version : Artichokes

blueangel
December 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you can help me... I went shopping today and they had jersulem artichokes reduced to 20p (about 30 cents) so i bought a box. Only thing is i have no idea how to prepare them and my Mum is abroad!!!!! It says on the box that you can steam or boil them. however it does not say if you need to peel them or how long they take to cook.

Recipes/ideas/tips will be gratefully recevied. Thanks :colorful:

Suzette
December 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Hmmm, are they the mini-artichokes?? If so, they don't have the fuzzy stuff in them so all you have to do is slice off a bit of the top, trim leaves and stem, and steam. You can then eat the whole thing! Oh, I'd steam for 20 minutes for little ones.

Dipped in lemon butter of course :dinnertim

If they're not the mini ones, I'd google it and see what comes up... I know the normal size ones you would prepare as above, but it's not all edible.

blueangel
December 3rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
They are very small but they are a bit dirty like odd-shaped potatoes. I'll have to try the lemon butter thing. I found a few recipes for soup but I thought they might have other uses... this is a big box I have!

Ishtara
December 4th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Jerusalem artichokes are also called sunchokes or topinambours.
I never cooked with them myself (topinambours are rather unpopular in Europe as they were a staple food during and after WWII while food was rationed), but every time I had them, they were either au gratin or in a casserole.

They have a mild flavour and an interesting texture, so I think they would be best used in combination with other ingredients rather than just baked or boiled.

woodlandfairy
December 18th, 2005, 09:54 PM
:floating: Hello, I live in Texas and I love them, here they are a delicacy and a treat. I boil them in a big pot of water for about an hour or longer if they are larger. You can tell when they are done if it is easy to pull a leaf out and if the under side is tender when you scrape the soft part upside down against your bottom teeth. There are 3 layers. When you get to the next layer, if it looks like hair you pull it out and throw it away. The next layer is the heart, you slice that into parts and eat. I like garlic butter sauce with lemon juice heated or with hollandaise sauce. Hope that helps! ( You can also steam them in a steamer pot).

Evendusk
December 24th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Jerusalem artichokes are not like regular artichokes, they're actually the root of the sunflower. They usually get the same treatment as potatoes.

arctic splash
December 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I dug some jerusalem artichokes... really fun! ... unless she boiled them without telling me, I'm pretty sure I ate them raw.

Amber Wynd
January 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I eat them raw, usually in a salad. They taste a lot like radishes, only milder.
They're also good if you peel and slice them and then drizzle fresh lemon juice over the slices.

blueangel
January 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I eat them raw, usually in a salad. They taste a lot like radishes, only milder.
They're also good if you peel and slice them and then drizzle fresh lemon juice over the slices.

I'd never heard of them being raw like you described! I will have to get some more and give that a go. Thanks:wave: