PDA

View Full Version : Real gingerbread house?

RoseKitten
December 3rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Ok, I've made the whole ghram crackers and icing house, but how would I go about making a gingerbread one?

Also, if anyone knows, how do I make a good icing for the ghram cracker house? (My mom used to make it about 8 years ago... but... meh...)

smckim
December 3rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
I cheat, and buy the really nice ones that come in a kit. They have every thing you need in it including the icing!!!! the ginger bread pieces are all cut and ready, I also add some personal decorations. Some kits are crap, but the nice ones you can get at gourmet stores IE: Trader Joe's places like that.

Ceres
December 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I have done the from scratch gingerbread houses and by the time you buy all the ingredients, including decorations, it doesnt cost much more to buy a kit and its SO much easier with the kit. Its very hard to roll the gingerbread out thin enough that it doesnt weigh too much to stay assembled.

Mnemosyne
December 10th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Are the kits hard too? My friend at work is soooo artsy and creative. She told me that it's even hard to make one from the kit though, and she's been doing it for years. I really want to make a gingerbread house though since I've done it. I think that they look so cute.

Ceres
December 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Damn. This is our first year making one from a kit and I thought it would solve all our gingerbread house engineering problems. :lol:

RoseKitten
December 10th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I have done the from scratch gingerbread houses and by the time you buy all the ingredients, including decorations, it doesnt cost much more to buy a kit and its SO much easier with the kit. Its very hard to roll the gingerbread out thin enough that it doesnt weigh too much to stay assembled.

Would you mind sharing the recipe and steps involved? If it's the same cost I'd rather make it from scratch (I LOVE to bake and create and eat and all that). ^_^ Thanks!

dragenfly
December 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
You have to have a pattern, you can probably find one online then you roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch and cut it out using the pattern and a pastry knife, all you need is 2 panels for the roof, two panels for the front and back and two panels for the sides, my moms side panels are always about 1 inch lower than the roof will touch I dont know why, probably because it comes down at a slant oh and a little chimeny one side of it is slanted. Any how you bake it let it cool. And thats it. For the frosting you use Royal Icing I have the recipe in the wiltons cake book hold ............................

Okay I got it, it says here:

Royal Icing
These are the smooth hard drying near permanent icings used for "show" cakes. Once hardened ehy never soften or crumble, last indefinately. Perfect "GLUE" for icing, or sugar decorations. Grease breaks them down so keep utensils clean. For icing dummy cakes only.

ROYAL ICING - MERINGUE
3 tablespoons (leveled) meringue powder
1 lb. confectioners sugar (powder sugar)
3 1/2 oz. warm water
1/2 tsp. cream of tatar.

Combine ingredients mixing slowly, then beat at high speed for 7 - 10 minutes. keep covered at all times with a damp cloth, as icing dries very quickly. Yeilds 3 cups.

***** I always pop it into a pastry bag with a star tip it never dries up on me and I always double the recipe so I have plenty of snow to cover the cround and stick little gingerbread people.

You can always find gumdrops and gumballs, sprinkles, and red hots at the dollar stores. its really fun to do it yourself. Good luck send me a picture.

edited:...............

check out this site it has everything you need to know

www.gingerbreadlane.com

farm girl
December 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
We make them with a kit every year and I don't find it hard at all. Once you get the knack of it, it comes together nicely. It's a fun holiday tradition!