PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Miscarriages

Myst
December 20th, 2001, 05:15 PM
I was told by a pregnant friend of mine who smokes that smoking only causes low birth weight.

Oh yeah?

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnantsmoking.htm

Laiste
December 20th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Yeah! A friend of mine said that to me during all four of her pregnancies! Her children now constantly have ear infections (several times a year) and sinus problems and her son has acute asthma! They have all been on antibiotcs so many times I'm quite sure they have built up an immunity to them.

It's sad that people can't take responsibility for the life growing inside them and just quit! I did it a few days after finding out I was pregnant with my son...it wasn't easy but it was necessary!

Margie
December 20th, 2001, 09:47 PM
asthma, ear infections, low birth weight, miscarriages happen to women/their children even when the mother doesn't smoke throughout the pregnancy. I smoked throughout my first pregnancy and my daughter was very small, but she is 3 years old and has only had one ear infection and MAYBE one cold a year. Everything can be said to cause SOMETHING. And things are caused by nothing sometimes.

Laiste
December 20th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Sure everything causes something...but why would someone choose to do something that may harm their unborn child?! I know what a struggle it is to quit smoking but it's worth it to know that you did everything possible to insure that that child will have a better chance at being healthy. Now if it were only that easy to convice myself to quit smoking for me! Iwent back to it after 3 1/2 years!!:rolleyes:

Drisel
December 20th, 2001, 10:51 PM
I was able to stop smoking for both of my girls. Problem is as soon as I went back to work I started again. :mad: I really would like to quit.

Danustouch
December 20th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Personally, I think that if smoking may be ONE cause of miscarriage, low birth weight, athsma, etc....then...cut it out! I mean, really. We hear of a lot of pregnant mothers cutting out caffeine, not drinking, etc. So..why not cut down on ONE more risk factor?

Incidentally, second hand smoke is just as dangerous to fetus'. They have found ciggarrette smoke in the hair follicles of unborn children....from second hand smoke.

Myst
December 20th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Seeing my dad's health problems I never wanted to smoke. Wait until your best reason to smoke is "stop smoking or we're not doing heart surgery on you and you get to die", like my father did, if you want.

Margie
December 21st, 2001, 02:18 AM
I'm not debating that smoking is "good". I smoke because I like it. I was able to quit while I was pregnant the 2nd time and my 2nd daughter was still considered "low birth weight". I started again because I like it. I knew a woman who never smoked and was rarely around smokers and she is on her 3rd time of having cancer (of a 3rd different type). My brother has asthma and a chronic cough (I dunno if it's a seperate condition or connected to the asthma) and my mother didn't smoke and he has never been around cigarettes.

There are numerous factors that contribute to everything. Everyday (just about...ok not EVERY day but you know what I mean) "studies show" that this and that and the other thing cause cancer/other illnesses/disorders/etc. Something is going to cause a miscarriage. If it's not smoking it's the water, raw fish, undercooked chicken or nothing at all.

Myst
December 21st, 2001, 05:49 AM
Uhhuh.

I agree with you Laiste and Danustouch.

Laiste
December 21st, 2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Myst
Seeing my dad's health problems I never wanted to smoke. Wait until your best reason to smoke is "stop smoking or we're not doing heart surgery on you and you get to die", like my father did, if you want.

Sad but true!:( How many millions of people are faced with issues like your father?! Yet we continue to smoke...I personally don't like smoking, rather, I'm addicted to a terrible drug!! I'm sure many are aware of this but nicotine addiction is far worse to overcome than a heroin addiction!!:eek: :( I know I'm almost ready to quit again. I know I have the choice and need to make it before I'm faced with something tragic!

Myst
December 22nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
I should clarify too. Most of my friends and at least half my family smoke. As always it's up to you to decide and you to weigh whatever. Obviously I can't tell how people to live and it would be pretty ignorant of me to try to when I don't know your life. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Margie
December 22nd, 2001, 08:09 PM
;) Aren't we just here to share opinions and points of view? :)

Myst
December 22nd, 2001, 09:27 PM
Yup. Just making sure I'm not being a jerk. :D

Angelwulfe
December 30th, 2001, 10:19 PM
i quit cold turkey 2 months before i got pregnant. my pregnancy was unplanned so my quiting had nothing to do with it but i wold have quit as soon as i found out i was pregnant had i not quit earlier. i can see how it might cause a misscariage anything thats un heathy adds to the risk. the artical also mention the risks of the father smoking. hmmm i wish he'd quit. thanks for posting the link myst.

amberlaine
January 3rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Technically I smoke, but by "smoking" I mean I would have 1 cigarette a day--maybe 3 if I were with friends who smoked, or having a bad day, etc. I haven' had a cigarette in months now--because I can't drive, and my husband decided he wasn't buying them for me anymore. *shrug*

Anyway, I quite smoking when I got pg with Karinna--just looking at a cigarette made me sick. And yet, K had ear infections GALORE! She finally had to get tubes in her ears, and since then, nothing. Yay!

Ok, this post has nothing to contribute, I just wanted to say something :p

Chibi-Fallon
January 3rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
My mom has never smoked (well she did a lot of weed in college but that's it) and I got ear infections all the time as a little kid. When I wasn't on the meds for ‘em I was coming down with it again. Both me and my brother had to get tubes. He had to get them twice. I was pretty much constantly on drugs until the age of 5 or 6. And then I kept getting really bad strep. :ugh:

Myst
January 3rd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Ever wonder if it was the weed?

DreamSpell333
January 3rd, 2002, 04:02 PM
My fiance and I have been trying to concieve. I have asthma from my mom, and she used to smoke, I got ear infections all the time when i was little. I'd sit in front of the tv and my mom would yell to me, and I wouldn't hear her, cause of my infections. So i had tubes put into my ears, and never had a problem again. Since we are trying nowto have a child of our own, I don't let him smoke near me, or even in the house, and because of that, he's cut down. It's my opinion, but anyone who has concieved, should do everything they have to , to protect their baby. that means not smoking, not drinking, eating healthier before they even conceive and during their pg. I misscarried last year, so I'm hoping that with some luck and meditation and my fiance lol,that I can finially have a child. (last one in my family who hasn't )

amberlaine
January 3rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
My mother has never smoked nor taken an illegal drug a day in her life, and as a child I was also beset with ear infections. In fact, I was so used to taking amoxycillin that I thought of it like desert--take it after a emal, every day, all the time. (Then again, I have deformed inner ears, so maybe that had something to do with it. But K has perfectly fine ears, and she had ear infections *constantly*. IT was driving her father and I bonkers. Thank God for ear tubes.)

Myst
January 3rd, 2002, 04:24 PM
On the other hand my mom never smoked and I never got an ear infection. *shrugs* Every individual is different but statistically smoking during pregnancy (or around babies or young kids) is more likely to cause problems.

amberlaine
January 3rd, 2002, 04:48 PM
Oh, yes. I hope I didnt imply otherwise. I definitely don't smoke when pregnant.

Myst
January 3rd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Nope you certainly did not. :D

Chibi-Fallon
January 3rd, 2002, 10:13 PM
This is kinda of random but since we're talking about smoking and all that good stuff: Does anyone know why you can be born addicted to like heroin and stuff like that but not cigarettes? Or can you be born addicted to them? I really have no idea.
I would wonder about the weed but I was born when she was 35 long after she was outta college. Unless it's got some seriously long lasting effects, I'd say I just got crappy genetics.

Danustouch
January 4th, 2002, 01:29 AM
I'm actually not so sure as to why people aren't born with nicotine addictions, as in the same type of addiction as crack or heroine babies have. However, there is a great deal of research going on, to imply a genetic trait for addiction to nicotine. In otherwords, perhaps one being predisposed to a later nicotine addiction, by the addictive personalities of their parents.

So perhaps this is the way it manifests?

In general, I have always believed that Addictive personalities are passed from one generation to the next, perhaps not so much in the DNA (as in the heroine and crack babies), but...from observation. Often children who observe addictive personalities in their parents, grow to have addictive personalities of their own. At least, this is something we learned in psychology classes. Anyway, My dad never did drugs, and rarely drank. But he smoked, and does still. My mom, likewise, never drugs, and rarely alchohol, chocolate and caffeine addictions, and she used to smoke.

I never became addicted to any illegal substance, and never became a heavy drinker. And yet, I was a Nicotine Addict, Chocolate addict, and caffeine addict. So...go figure :)

Myst
January 4th, 2002, 05:20 AM
My parents had no addictions between them except my dad smoked from the time he was 9 until he was told "cut it out now or we don't do your triple bypass". He quit cold turkey that day.

I have never smoked and never will. Period.

Margie
January 4th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Your post did contribute something weather you know it or not. ;)