PDA

View Full Version : anxiety disorders?

phoenixblayze
December 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
hi all,
i have been around mw for a while, but never realized that this forum was here.....how observant :rolleyes:
anywho, i was wondering if any others out there were dealing with social anxiety/generalized anxiety disorder. i was diagnosed with both of them, and finally put on medication a few months ago. im on my way to recovery, but still feel kinda rare in the world of mental health. on top of that i was origionally diagnosed with clinical depression, and the anxiety caused me to be a bit ocd. is there anyone else out there dealing with the same things, if so i would love to hear from you. as i said, i dont know anyone around here, other than my mother(yay genetics) who is dealing with this disorder
thankys

Marcasite
December 13th, 2005, 11:40 AM
*waves*
I have both social anxiety and general anxiety as well. At one point in time I was very depressed and would cut myself because of it. I turned things around for myself and am no longer depressed but I'm still on the meds for anxiety. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get off them. I have trouble sleeping because I stay up all night and worry. I worry about *everything*. In fact, I don't think there's a single time of the day when I'm not worrying. It makes for a very stressful life. it's funny because other than that I'm a very happy person. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you!

phoenixblayze
December 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM
yay, that sounds like me. now that im on the meds im not as depressed. i still feel down sometimes but its not as bad. i will always have to stay on meds for my anxiety though, my doctor said that i was almost to the phobic stage. it was really getting in the way of my everyday life. it got to the point that i didnt want to go outside. but....things are better, yay paxil.

Unorthodox
December 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
I have social anxiety and general anxiety too---I have been on meds for about 10 years off and on--more on than off--the first few years I went through the "I feel better" so I don't need them anymore. I too would stay up all night worrying and would also have awful panic attacks for no reason and cut myself. The meds have really helped--I still feel down sometimes, and I still worry and have anxiety--but a MUCH more manageable level--they seem to take the ups and downs out of the rollercoaster.

Goddess Rhiannon
December 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I just found out that I have anxiety disorder/panic disorder....in fact, I have had symptoms of it for the past 5 years...and no one has been able to tell me what was happening to me...until recently....I am not currently on any medications....I lucked out and got an appointment to talk to a counselor on Yule....that is a great present I think....one step closer to bringing me back outdoors....woohoo...

BrigidMoon
December 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I just found out that I have anxiety disorder/panic disorder....in fact, I have had symptoms of it for the past 5 years...and no one has been able to tell me what was happening to me...until recently....I am not currently on any medications....I lucked out and got an appointment to talk to a counselor on Yule....that is a great present I think....one step closer to bringing me back outdoors....woohoo...

Oh sweetie! Well that's good news!!! I really hope they get you something for that!! _pounce_

phoenixblayze
December 13th, 2005, 04:24 PM
yeah i would have panic attacks to. when i decided that i couldnt live like this anymore, i was driving out to a friends house that i had never been to, and i got lost. instead of just calling my friend and being calm, i pulled over, and had a major panic attack. my world was crumbling around me and i couldnt get control. i decided that i was tired of being afraid of everything. i hated pumping gas becasue i felt that everyone was looking at me and judging me. i didnt get my drivers license until last year because i was too afraid, when i started to drive i would break out into a sweat and be on the edge of loosing it until i got to my destination, i hated going anywhere by myself, i hated making doctors appointments, ect....the list goes on and on. i used to cut to, i wonder if there is a correlation. i started on paxil about four months ago, and it really took the edge off. i was really proud of myself because i havent had a panic attack in two months..... and like you GR i had been going to phychologist for years, and they just said i was depressed, and the medications they put me on did didly squat to help me.....

Flaire-FireStar
December 14th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I'm another with anxiety and a bunch of other things. When I first started having panic attacks in '99, I was taken to a psych who concluded that I was stressed over having just lost my grandmother and was sent on my merry little way. It wasn't until I felt that I couldn't go back to school anymore (consiquently dropping out for a year) that I finally got sent to the Dr. who then suggested I start seeing a councellor. I had aslo been on Celexa, which helped immensely with both anxiety & depression, as well as going to see a councellor every week.

She, and the second psychiatrist I saw, gave me a few mental exercises to do when I'm feeling exceptionally stressed and panicky.

I have been off meds for about a year and haven't really felt the need to go back on, but there are times when I still do get panic attacks (had one last week, even). Mostly it's having to be in the public when I don't have an easy way to get away.

Kendrah
December 14th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Well, I have OCD which is considered an axiety disorder. Just got off my paxil a month ago... I almost wish I hadn't. My OCD is starting to kick my ass again and my emotions are rollercoasting.

scorpiochick77
December 14th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Yep...I suffer from the social anxiety disorder too(along with manic depression/psychotic features).
I was just diagnosed last month but i've been this way for a couple of years. Mine has gotten so terrible that i cry all the time and i just don't care if i live or if i die. My doctor is gonna put me on prozac or zoloft next month so maybe i'll get better.

Philosophia
December 14th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I just hope I don't kill this thread...
I have OCD, social anxiety (with manic depression), and altogether just general anxiety about life.

BabyBird
December 14th, 2005, 03:35 AM
:hugz: for everybody
I've got social anxiety, agoraphobia and depression. I've known for a few years, but until last year I was seeing a really sucky therapist who just wasted my time and money. Now, I'm seeing an awesome dr who's suggested books, goals, exercises and everything! I take lexapro and it's really helped with the general indifference I ususally felt. I still have off days, but overall I'm doing miles better than I was 2 years ago. I'm even planning on going back to school this summer!

xat
December 14th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I, too, suffer from generalized anxiety, as well as depression and panic disorder. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety in the past, though I've made some recovery. On top of everything, I also have post-traumatic stress disorder. I was on Efexor from July 2003 through March 2004, and then got onto it again early January this year. For a while I've felt that Efexor has lost its effect on me, and three weeks ago, I was taken off Efexor and put on Paxil instead. So far so good. In January, I'll finally get the professional help I've needed for so long.

FaerieGothMommy
December 14th, 2005, 05:46 AM
(Thanks, Morr for showing me this thread)

I have had social anxiety, for aslong as i can remember, to be honest. I guess it really kicked in when i was 12yrs old. I suffered with it for a few years, not knowing what the hell i was going through, thinking i was a complete weirdo. My mom always just thought i was lazy for not wanting to go out, i couldn't tell her that i was actually frightened to death of going out. I finally plucked up the courage to go see a doctor, it was torment! The first doctor laughed at me, and sent me on my way. I then had to pluck up the courage to see another doctor, this was 100 times worse! She was very friendly though, and seemed as though she wanted to help, but nothing ever come of it. I have been offered meds, which i have kept refusing. I am scared to go on meds, i don't want to live off of them, which is what will happen if they do help tons. I've always wanted to get proper help, but unfortunatly it costs a lot of money!

Since then, i've just tryed to cope, not very well.. but still. I can go out under certain circumstances. I did buy a book at one point about how you can help your social anxiety, it is very tough to follow and it works very slowly! Theres been points where i start to get better, but then i fall back down.

It has been extra tough recently, as my partner has started to expierence depression and anxiety too. We have 2 children, so the both of us having is is bad. He is seeing the doctor though, the doctor wants to see me, but i haven't been able to pluck up the courage to go back. My partner is doing good, i am encouraging him to not let it get too bad. Thats what i did, i let my anxiety get worse and worse, because i had no clue what it was i was going through.

Sorry to hog the thread :) It's good being able to get it off my chest to others who understand.

Ceres
December 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I have never been diagnosed, but I do have a problem with anxiety. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with worry about things that will likely never come to pass, but logic doesnt factor very highly when I feel this way. I dont want to use anti depressants for it because I have a general abhorance for prescription drugs.

Last January, as my New Years resolution, I started exercising every morning because I felt I should be moving more than I am. I wasnt overweight, but I was out of shape. By February, I realized my anxiety problem was greatly reduced. It really does work! That was the incentive that kept me going.

phoenixblayze
December 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM
i must say that i am so glad that you all have offered up your stories dealing with these disorders......i dont feel like as much of a freak. and i understand what some of you have said about not wanting to go on meds because you dont want to depend on them....thats what i did, and i just got worse and worse. now that im on paxil it has made a huge difference.....i suggest that those of you who do suffer from these check into meds, and you can sign up to get them for free.......im not saying im 100%, because that will never happen, and i still get phobic about things, and my ocd is still relavent, but im not afraid to drive to work anymore...thank god, and i can pump my own gass without having a panic attack, it still makes me nervous, but its more managable. i just hated that i had anxiety about my anxiety.....and it got to the point where i was so afraid of living.......*sigh* my mom was a huge help for me.....she has exactly the same diagnosis that i do, and she went on zoloft about two years ago.......she is such a happier person now.....that helped me see that there might be a way out. i have become reserved in the fact that i will always have to be on meds, without them im a wreck, but at least now im not afraid to live....
sorry, i just have so much to say about this.........

Marcasite
December 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
exercize is a great way to deal with anxiety, not only because it increases the amount of serotonin in the brain (which is a deficiet most people with depression and anxiety have) but it helps take you mind off things and gives you a feeling of accomplishment. good for you radicalwoman!

FaerieGothMommy
December 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication? My nan was on meds for panic attacks, she never managed to get off them. That is what i'm so afraid of, but i have to be honest, sometimes i think it'd be better taking meds forever if it means i'll have a reletavily normal life, you know?

scorpiochick77
December 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I haven't been put on meds yet but alot of my friends are. Everybody is differant and every medicine has a side effect. It's just a pain in the ass trying to find what works for YOU. What works for you might not work for someoe else and vice versa. I also know that every so often they'll switch meds on you because your body will get used to that certain one you're already taken. Just don't give up if the first one you start taking doesn't work cause' something else probably will.

phoenixblayze
December 14th, 2005, 04:33 PM
i agree that if you find a good medication for you, go for it. as far as bad side effects, my mother, MIL, and myself are all medicated. the only thing that i have run into is that is kinda....well, ill just go ahead and say it....it makes it harder for me to orgasm. usually they have sexual side effects......i still can, but it just takes longer....thats the only thing that the three of us have really run into and we are all on different medications

Kendrah
December 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication? My nan was on meds for panic attacks, she never managed to get off them. That is what i'm so afraid of, but i have to be honest, sometimes i think it'd be better taking meds forever if it means i'll have a reletavily normal life, you know?

I didn't like how Paxil made me feel. I didn't exactly feel "blah" but I felt indifferent about everything. I just didn't care to do the times I once did. Which is why I got off it. (Well, along with the other side effects: dry mouth, headaches, weight problems, general sleepiness, sexual side effects.)

As my LCSW said once, med's aren't a long term solution however they do provide respit care. The goal is to be on the meds for a year or so and that way you gain the strength to know what it's like without the meds and deal with whatever thing you have.

CoolJ
December 14th, 2005, 06:22 PM
When I started going to high school I was shy around people and ill and missed a lot of school... the school decided I wasn't just physicallly ill so they forced me to go to a psycho-building, and I talked to people that would drive the sane nuts.... eventually one of them told me I could take a pill that would make me feel confident and not see bright colors and not be so jumpy, I took it.... it made me feel really bad... I flipped them the bird and never went back....

I'm not shy anymore.... no pills, nothing, no long words calling my personality a disorder... I'm not a people person, I get mood swings, but my life is fully functional

Philosophia
December 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication?

I'm on Zoloft and it's okay. The dosage seems to be a little wonky for me, though. I used to take 200mg (the highest, I think) and I felt like a zombie, then it was dropped down to 100mg and I felt the anxiety and paranoia level increase 10-fold. 150mg seems to be the better.
Medication is okay if it is combined with other forms of therapy, i.e. cognitive behavioural, goal orientated, nutritional, occupational therapy, etc.. If it isn't, I believe we become too dependant on medication to solve any problems/issues we may have.

BabyBird
December 14th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication?The first med I tried was Zoloft. I hate to use this word, but it fits... Zoloft made me crazy. The curled up in a fetal position, humming to myself and talking non-stop kind of crazy.
I was also on Paxil. It worked well, but I had awful, constant tremors.

Incendia
December 14th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication?

I developed a muscle twitching disorder called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS) after being on Paxil for a couple of years. The twitching started after my doc. doubled my dosage. I can't say definitively as to whether or not Paxil is to blame, but there is some research out there that strongly suggests a link between SSRI's and this disorder. Also, everyone that I've talked to in BFS forums have all been on SSRI's. I'm not on any drugs right now but am considering risking it. Living with anxiety (especially social anxiety) is NOT living and Paxil did help me a lot. I'm going to try the natural supplements route for a couple of months. I'm already 3wks into my 'therapy', but it will take over a month to really know.
I've included the most accurate link that I've found for those of you interested in natural therapies. *Note* You should not take any of these supplements if you're already on an antipsychotic drug and should consult your physician before beginning a regimen.

For anxiety:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hc/resourceareas_view/1,1438,430,00.html

Blessings,
Incendia

xat
December 15th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Has anyone had any bad experiences with medication? My nan was on meds for panic attacks, she never managed to get off them. That is what i'm so afraid of, but i have to be honest, sometimes i think it'd be better taking meds forever if it means i'll have a reletavily normal life, you know? I think I'll never get off the medication. I'd love to just live a normal, happy life, but I have to be realistic; it can be done, but it probably means I'll have to stay on medication for the rest of my life. With that being said, my experience with medication is probably one of the better ones. The first few weeks are difficult, but once I've gotten used to it, I can enjoy the good side effects. :) The one negative side effect that takes some time to go away - this applies for both brands I've been on - is the difficulty to orgasm. :wtf:

beachj
December 15th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Hey,
I'm not on any meds. I talked to my sister about stuff, cause we are close like that. And she said that she thinks I have social anxioty disorder. But its not debilitateing, it only effects my social life really. Effects my worklife some too, but mostly just to make people think im weird and stuff. I dont take any drugs for it, I just deal with it. I am who I am. Most people dont like me for it so screw em.

wyldwolf
December 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I have had generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks and a mild case of OCD for years. I have tried several meds in the past, some gave me hives, others just zonked me out. I went for a while without taking anything. I finally found Lexapro and I love it! I feel more "normal" now. I haven't had a panic attack in quite a while. These were very bad for me. I would hyperventilate and at times, go numb from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I still don't like to go out alot, this is because I tend to pick up on other peoples energies, I don't think they make a pill for that though! LOL. I am now taking the Energy Works basics class, so I am hoping that this class will help me to better understand how to harness the energies of the outside world.

phoenixblayze
December 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM
i think it all comes down to trying out different kinds of meds until you find something that works. i tried to live w/out them for years, and never got better, so i finally gave in, and it took me some testing before i found a medication that works, but it was worth the hassle to me, because i didnt want to live my life like that anymore.

LostSheep
December 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
My doctor's given me something that's supposed to be an antidepressant and help me sleep, but i don't know if it's worth keeping on with these, they did say it'd take time to see any effect, but they ain't cheap *shrug* ... at least I think i know what's causing my depression, and that's soemthing that I'm going to have to deal with myself. I'm trying other ways of dealing with it - meditation, getting out of the house and just going for a walk in the moonlight when I feel like things are crowding in on me. We'll just have to see.

Meadhbh
December 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I have generalized anxiety, and its finals week which is fun. I'm not on any medication simply because my doctor didn't think I was bad enough to require it. I've been noticing that I can catch myself before I go off on an anxiety trip and I've been working on trying to let it all go. If it gets bad enough that I feel I need to go into some sort of medication I will, but for right now things seem to be going as smoothly as they can be.

Marcasite
December 16th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I have generalized anxiety, and its finals week which is fun
*sympathy* I just went through that. I'm feeling much better now that it's over!