PDA

View Full Version : THE PLAYGROUND: A Parable About Life and Death

Vincent Verthaine
December 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM
From the BOOK OF ERIS (http://www.verthaine.chaosmagic.com)

THE PLAYGROUND
A Parable About Life and Death (http://www.verthaine.sphosting.com/ee.html)

...I awoke to find myself walking hand-in-hand with the Mother-of-Us-All toward a beautiful Playground,a playground that seemed to stretch to infinity. She brought me to the gate,gave me a big hug and a kiss,and said unto me,"This is your playground,do as thou wilt,and have a good time." I nervously walked through the gates,and was amazed at all the sights and sounds. There were monkey bars,slides,toys,sprinklers,and all types of fun goodies,as far as the eyes can see. There were also many,many children of all different shapes,colors, and sizes playing through out the Playground.
I explored my surroundings for a while,and made a few friends. All around me, children were playing and doing many things (as children are want to do). Some children played by themselves,and some played with many kids. Some only had one or two playmates,and some had none. There were even a few who didn't want to play at all,and said that playing was bad. Sometimes some of the kids would steal the toys from the other kids,and others would hog all the toys around them. Some even shared their toys with others.

All around me,children were running and jumping,laughing and singing, loving and fighting. Some kids would stay in the playground for a while, and some had to leave as soon as they got there. Sometimes fights would break out amongst the children,often for silly reasons. Some children had too many toys to play with,and some had none. Some of the kids would section off a part of a playground, and wouldn't let any one else play there. Bullies would roam the park picking on the weaker kids. Many games were played in the playgound. Some of the games were:cops and robbers,war,hospital,convert the heathens,feed the poor,get a good job,etc.

I noticed a bunch of kids in the middle of a heated discussion, so I decided to see what was going on. I discovered that the children were discussing the nature of the playground. Some children said that this is the only playground there is,while others said there are an infinite amount of playgrounds. Some argued that this section of the playgrond was the only section to have children playing,and others say that there are many sections with many children in it. Some say that when you leave the playground you never come back,and some say that you come back over and over again. I didn't get involve in that discussion,because I knew better.

In another discussion pool,the kids were talking about the Mother-of-Us-All. Some said she didn't exist,some said she did. A few of the kids believed that there was no Mother-of-Us-All,only the Father existed. Some believed that there were many Mothers and Fathers. And some of us believed that She is All-in-One,and One-in-All.There were kids who said that if you do not play the way they said that Mother/Father wants you to play,you will go to a very,very BAD place when you leave the playground. I found a few who truly loved the Mother,and said to them,"hey guys,lets just play".

Every once in a while The Mother-Of-Us-All would call out the name of a child and tell them it was time to go home. Some children would scream and cry and throw temper tantrums,but to no avail. When Mom said it was time to go,it was time to go. I decided to really enjoy my stay in the playground. I played with many kids,had many adventures,had run-ins with bullies,scraped my knees a few times,and generally had the time of my life. After a while,I grew very tired and sleepy,and I knew it was soon time for Mother to call my name. I put my toys away,and called all my playmates together for one last game of tag. When the game ended,I head Mother call my name. I bid my playmates farewell,and told them not to cry,we will all play together again someday. I ran out off the park and into Mothers waiting arms.I placed my head on her bosom and said . "Thank you Mom,I had a great time in the Playground". She just smiled at me ,gave me a kiss on the forehead,and I fell asleep in her arms.

I awoke to find myself walking hand-in-hand with the Mother-of-Us-All toward a beautiful Playground,a playground that seemed to stretch to infinity....

This is absolutely my favorite part of the Book of Eris. I still get a tear in my eye whenever I read it.And I wrote it.

Theres
December 14th, 2005, 10:19 PM
an interesting song from a Pagan band...

http://www.xtcidearecords.co.uk/lyrics/lyrics_1.htm

(choose the album 'Wasp Star' and the song 'Playground')

WinterTree
December 14th, 2005, 10:40 PM
That was very profound and beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. :hugz: :)

BenSt
December 15th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I studied a similar story in my English class in "Satire and Irony" section...about a man who went into a garden behind a wall and sat before a great book that seemed to recount his entire life...and then suddenly he was outside on the parking lot....remembering from the book that all his life problems, failures...and his successes and hopes were written. He could do one of two things...learn to accept the world for what it was, or try to find this eternally wonderful garden that represented paradise. Such an interesting parable...very similar to this...:)

Tobias

ShadowcatX
December 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Parables don't generally shove the lesson they try and teach down your throat.

Also, it's generally better to let other people compliment your work instead of complimenting it yourself.

Malcolm
February 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Also, it's generally better to let other people compliment your work instead of complimenting it yourself.

:goodgrief

I liked it.

Tzhebee
February 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Not true...If others fail to realize how great I am, it's my duty to point it out to them...it would be a disservice to humanity otherwise. :p

Jenne
February 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Not true...If others fail to realize how great I am, it's my duty to point it out to them...it would be a disservice to humanity otherwise. :p

Tzhe...have to say I like your style, woman! :)

That was beautiful, Vincent. I can see why you cry when you read it...it's really touching, and a great lesson on how to treat death...AND life.

DocBruce
February 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Color me confused, but I didn't see any shoving of anything down anyone's throat.
If you don't like it, there is a simple solution....don't read it.

Baron von Hoopla
February 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM

1) It should be "shove the lesson they try TO teach you down your throat." Not "and". That's just idiotic.

2) Parables come in all types.

3) If you know something is good you should pretend you don't because you wrote it? This too is idiotic.

4) Anything Verthaine wrote you probably would have written something snide to respond with; therefor your opinion is void.

5) There is no five.

DocBruce
February 10th, 2006, 05:40 PM
1) It should be "shove the lesson they try TO teach you down your throat." Not "and". That's just idiotic.

2) Parables come in all types.

3) If you know something is good you should pretend you don't because you wrote it? This too is idiotic.

4) Anything Verthaine wrote you probably would have written something snide to respond with; therefor your opinion is void.

5) There is no five.

I thought number five was "No poofdas".
Wait, that's Monty Python...my bad.

Baron von Hoopla
February 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I thought number five was "No poofdas".
Wait, that's Monty Python...my bad.

I'll go with that.

Ok, Shadowcat:

5) No poofdas.

DocBruce
February 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'll go with that.

Ok, Shadowcat:

5) No poofdas.
All right then, carry on.

eldora_avalon
February 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM

It's OK to play, it really is.

DocBruce
February 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM
It's OK to play, it really is.
Sadly, some people will never understand that.

eldora_avalon
February 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Sadly, some people will never understand that.
I know. It makes me cry for them. :wah:

But that means more fun for us :cheers:

Little Billy
February 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Wow. Someone take a dump in your cornflakes?

On edit: Perhaps you just don't understand...Discordians and Subgenii rant. It's what we DO. That's why we HAVE this area.

DocBruce
February 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I know. It makes me cry for them. :wah:

But that means more fun for us :cheers:
Yep. :cheers:

Vincent Verthaine
February 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM

You know what shadowcat,the reason I still get a tear whenever I read that parable because it was dedicated to my best friend Tony.B,who died of lymphmatic cancer ten years ago.He was the one who turned me on to Eris.He was the one to showed me that life is a playground.
It was also dedicated to my mom,who died of breast cancer when I was six years old.It was also dedicated to all my homeys I've lost through out the years.And I almost had to dedicate it to my wife this week,so excuse me if I'm not really in the freakin mood right now.
You know what Shadowcat,hate is a very ugly thing,so SCREW YOU.

I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE AND THE MODS FOR THE ABOVE STATEMENT.BUT YOU KNOW WHAT,HE HAD IT COMING.

ShadowcatX
February 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
And, in the thread where you mentioned the fact that you nearly lost your wife, I gave you my condolences, but bringing that up here, in response to my post that is two monthes old, is pretty inane. But que sera, it's my oppinion, say what you wish about it, but if I don't like something I'm not going to gush over it and pretend I do. I would've thought you'd prefer one honest response to a hundred lies. Was I wrong?

Lunacie
February 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
... some of the children make up rules that they expect all the children to follow and some of the children try to enforce those rules when the other children were playing just fine anyway...

Gwenhwyfar
February 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I liked it. Thanks for sharing.