PDA

View Full Version : moons ..wheel of the year? help!

LunarFlame
December 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
I need some help. I have begun working on my grimoire, and I am concentrating on the wheel of the year. I have been able to find plenty of rituals, and descriptions of each sabbat, but no real good explanation of the wheel of the year in general.. like the purpose, etc. I keep coming on information like the following

The year is influenced and calculated both by the Moon and the Sun. Therefore there are two calendars: the Lunar and the Solar. Holidays celebrated on the Solar calendar are called Sabbats. Holidays celebrated on the Lunar calendar are called Esbats, and are generally celebrated on the Full Moon. There are 8 Sabbats and 13 Esbats.
as well as different charts which have moons on them..

so can anyone help explain? My guess is that there are 8 sabbats (samhain-yule), and then 13 celebrations of full moons?

Is that a correct assumption or an I completly off?

Kendrah
December 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
I haven't heard the moons being penned as the wheel of the year, but it's fairer to say that there is 12 ~ 14 moon in a year.

That's usually denoted to the sabbats, of which there are 8. 4 "high" and 4 "low" sabbats. The "low" sabbats are the equinoxes and solstices, while the "high' sabbats are the holidays such as Hallows and Beltaine. The high and low sabbats go every other like such: high - low - high - low - high - low -high - low.

KEishin
December 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
I have been able to find plenty of rituals, and descriptions of each sabbat, but no real good explanation of the wheel of the year in general.. like the purpose, etc.
The purpose? Whoa, slow down. If you don't know why you're celebrating the Sabbats, you need to figure that out first.

As I see it, a Wiccan celebrates the Wheel of the Year to recognize their inseperable relationship to the Earth.

LunarFlame
December 22nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
I haven't heard the moons being penned as the wheel of the year, but it's fairer to say that there is 12 ~ 14 moon in a year.

That's usually denoted to the sabbats, of which there are 8. 4 "high" and 4 "low" sabbats. The "low" sabbats are the equinoxes and solstices, while the "high' sabbats are the holidays such as Hallows and Beltaine. The high and low sabbats go every other like such: high - low - high - low - high - low -high - low.
See, that's what I thought. What are the "esbats" that they speak of then?

As well, when I said "purpose" I guess that was a bad word choice. I know why *I* celebrate, I just want a better understanding of the wheel in general.

Kendrah
December 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Esbat are the moon rituals. Sabbat rituals are usually more celebratory whereas Esbats are the rituals you do on the full moon. (Well, to really be picky, esbat really means whenever a coven or group of witches meet but it's turned into full moon rituals.)

The wheel is a cycle of the seasons. You usually can find some myth story that ties in with all the sabbats. IE, Goddess goes to find the God at Hallows, get preggy at Yule, we light the candles at candlemas to bring her back, etc. It's a working process, not eight different holidays just stuck together.

LunarFlame
December 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Well see, I don't believe in two seperate gods/goddesses. I believe in nature as a whole.

So to me, I guess the sabbats represent the cycle of nature, etc.. not so much a god/goddess relationship.

morningstar2651
December 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM
The purpose? Whoa, slow down. If you don't know why you're celebrating the Sabbats, you need to figure that out first.

As I see it, a Wiccan celebrates the Wheel of the Year to recognize their inseperable relationship to the Earth.I'm going to have a bit of an off-topic post, so a quick apology for that first.

One of my biggest gripes about most Wicca 101 books is that they focus on how things are done, but not why.

---

Sabbats are solar. Esbats are lunar. Solar is associated with the God. Lunar is associated with the Goddess. I admit that I know much less about the esbats than the sabbats.

Check out the information at this link (http://wicca.timerift.net/sabbat.html).

Kendrah
December 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Well see, I don't believe in two seperate gods/goddesses. I believe in nature as a whole.

It was an example. Thus the IE.

Theres
December 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
the sabbats are solar, not lunar.

a better term for the lunar cycle would be 'the wheel of the month', imo.

morningstar2651
December 22nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
Or perhaps the wheel of the 29.53059 day lunar month.

LunarFlame
December 22nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
ha ha ha, thanks for that everyone. I get it now :D Been working on understanding things a lot better.. and it's so easy to get more confused sometimes!