PDA

View Full Version : Is this dead? what do YOU want to see?? :)

BenSt
December 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all,

Tobias here. I've been looking over this the past few weeks, and there is very little activitiy sterring. So, I have come to ask, what do you want to see in the Eastern Paths forum?

Namaste

Tobias

Ron
December 22nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Proof that "Hindu Pagans" -- as you call yourself [Galadraal] -- do have a connection with the Earth.

Side note: I think that things are dead here only because of the season. :)

Angulimala75
December 22nd, 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm back!!! yay

Well it is all the cristian holiday stuff/ yuletide

well what holidays and things do some of the eastern religions practice?

hu hu hu? is that good enough for you Galadraal

Namaste
angulimala

BenSt
December 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
hehe, welcome back Angulimala, missed you!

Ok, we'll have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks.

Namaste

Tobias

p.s. We DO have a connection with the earth, just...becasue of the cold, well...

Agaliha
November 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Here are some ideas for you:

Threads about various tenets of the Eastern paths and discussion of them. This could be anything from rituals to paths within to beliefs (Moksha, etc)
Quote of the Day or Week with quotes from sacred texts, you could keep them in the same thread & keep adding to it. There's Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism...lots of stuff avaliable!
Discussion/reading groups for a chosen sacred text (Bhavagad-Gita for example or the Rig Veda-- it's online. Same for the Tao texts.)
Profiles and discussions of Deities. Might fit better here than in G&Gs even though by definition they can go there. I can link the threads here to the Resource and Link thread so people can still find them.
Personally I'd like to talk about Krishna and Radha. :)
Discussion about the Eastern paths culture and how it relates to the religion (Hinduism and cows, etc).That's all I got for now!

Paracelsus
November 25th, 2006, 05:34 AM
it is not so much what one wants to see here - but more the desire for sufficient space and time to visit more often, and for long enough to say anything! Sorry!
Ian

Agaliha
November 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Oh and Vedic paths and Vedism. I've been reading about that lately. :)
And Shaktism.

:lol:

Cerulean_damselfly
November 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I've been refreshing my yoga studies, started long ago...I am amazed in my small awareness of the past ten-to-15 years and how mainstream the use of Eastern Hindu Chakra system is in terms of references...for instance I look at books related to pilates (exercise) and general web intros where they might discuss chakras with correspondences of colors/sounds, etc...or the information might even be in "Western wicca" intro books. Things such as the "third eye" and chakra visualizations/meditation which I thought was more Eastern than anything...I see such topics brought up in Health & Beauty, COT, Magic and Rituals, etc....

A nice example of a sample introduction (not deep, but has pretty illustrations and food for thought):

http://www.crystalinks.com/chakras.html

I'd really enjoy hearing about how yoga or chakra systems might be looked at by those who look into Eastern-influenced or Western practises with chakra system material woven into their practises...maybe those who have heard about such things in a traditional context might also be able to enlighten me if this is very different from things like the website I posted above.

For instance, I've come across this:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos545.htm

and wondered if this is also contributing to Western fascination with energy chakras. I recently came across this from the author of the Pythagorean Tarot--he's also a noted teacher and author, I believe (by John Opsopaus, aka Ioannes Apollonius Opsopaus---his website below:)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/index.html

___)

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos545.htm

Hope this makes sense. Yoga and chakras or Chakra Energy might be a topic and how the information differs in how people are taught about them in Eastern and Western contexts...

Best regards,

Cerulean

BenSt
December 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

I have noticed in the past few weeks, this thread has become rather lively and I hope that it continues to resurrect.

- A few notes in the Gods profile, thats a great idea. I had wanted to do something like that but for lack of time recently I have not been able to. I didn't want to step on your toes when it came to God profiles as the majority of God information is from your own forum. I have actually been working slowly on something in the community photo album:

http://www.mysticwicks.com/photoalbum/index.php?cat=20647

Its a small start and slowly I want to feature art and representations of several Asian cultures for the benefit of all at Mysticwicks. The majority of images on there are hand chosen from my almost 4000 image collection, and they are some of the rare ones that took me a long time to find. I certainly hope they are of interest to you all :). None are my own, however the artists have placed them on the internet and they come from traditional 'poster art'. My personal favorite is the Brahma image in the general Hindu photo album. Its very difficult to find quality images of Brahma, partly because he is not worshiped and also partly because he has a very limited role in mythology. I want to eventually start to create a small album like the one I already have on Tibetan Bodhisattvas...once i start studying them more.

- The chakra system idea also is rather interesting...perhaps a partnership between members who have more experiance and knowledge about that might work. please do send any of your friends here to start posts :).

Gneerally good suggestions...it definitly gives me a better idea of what i can do as a forum guide to spark interest. :)

Namaste

Tobias

Paracelsus
December 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Nice pics - there are some from my last trip to India if you follow the link from my sig as well.