PDA

View Full Version : my cat's eye is watering. why?

spooky
December 22nd, 2005, 09:00 PM
it's clear, not pussy. she's holding it half closed. i don't see anything in it. it started watering earlier today. she isn't acting like it hurts.

what's up?

KaidaMidnight
December 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
If the cat is a pug face (persian type) it is genetic. if your cat isn't a "pug face" it could be conjunctivitis (might not be, but I've had a cat have it) and you might want to talk to a vet just to be sure... hope it all works out. :)

KaidaMidnight
December 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
I got this from petplanet..
Don't worry- there are many " concerned Catmoms " out there ! With regard to your cats eye, you do need to be careful about eyes as they can get worse very quickly. The most important thing is whether it seems red and painful and she is blinking it a lot - If any of these apply then there is something wrong that needs checking by a vet soon. If it is open wide and does not seems at all sore or inflamed, then she could have
got a bit of a "chill" in it, something may have irritated it, or there are certain infections that can make cats eyes water. (Is there any sneezing?) They can also get a blocked tear duct, which means that the tears will overflow on that side.

If she seems fine otherwise, it would be worth bathing it gently with warm water and cotton wool to wipe away the tears and see if
that helps. If it still persists after a few days of this, it would be better to get it checked out by your vet to be on the safe side.
Hope this helps.

Xerenity
December 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Do you know if your cat has allergies or a cold? It may be from the cold. Animals can get a cold from it's humans, so it is also that time of the year for different allergies to show up also.

spooky
December 22nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
it's an inside cat. she's not any crazy breed. just a mixed up house cat. her face looks like a cat to me.

i guess i'll just keep an eye on it. thanks!

WokeUpDead
December 23rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
My cat always has some stuff around his eyes but it doesn't seem like it's ever been a problem. He doesn't half close his eye though.

nik
December 23rd, 2005, 03:18 AM
Half closing BOTH eyes might signal allergies, half closing and tears from ONE eye means something is wrong. She might have scratched her cornea, don't wait too long to see the vet. Infection can set in in only a day or two, cats are prone to it because they scratch around in litter boxes the way they do, raising clouds of bacteria laden dust.

Catiana
December 23rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Half closing BOTH eyes might signal allergies, half closing and tears from ONE eye means something is wrong. She might have scratched her cornea, don't wait too long to see the vet. Infection can set in in only a day or two, cats are prone to it because they scratch around in litter boxes the way they do, raising clouds of bacteria laden dust.

I agree, if its still doing it this morning, you should get her into the vet as soon as you can.

SphinYote
December 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM
I agree with going to the vet. But also, check the fur around the eye to make sure the tips of the fur don't deem sto be against the surface of the eye, or that there's not an actual cathair in the eye.

If you (very gently, without touching the surface of the eye) try to wipe some of the liquid out, assuming there is an object like a stray hair causing the irritation, it may come out with the liquid, which will probably be slightly gelled--just be very careful if you try this, because you run the risk of making a problem worse...but if it is just a hair, then the problem should be solved.

pyewacket
December 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I agree with the advice here BUt i would like to offer my piece based on personal experience if i may..

my beloved kitty had to be put down last month..out of the blue azotemia..kidney failure..
She suffered sticky eyes some days and every now and then one eye would weep...

I bathed her eye using a solution of sea salt and cooled boiled water and took her to the vet.

Sometimes it seemed like my house bunny who has blocked tear ducts..other times like hayfever eyes...

She suffered a lot from tummy problems..mainly gastritis...
One vet said an indication of gastric upset even before any vomiting etc is in fact runny eyes.

Another could be worms apparently but i have never encountered that personally..but then i always wormed my kits! Until this year when i stopped as they were both so old and lived mainly indoors popping into enclosed garden for the odd sunbathe and grass munch..not hunters only my tuna sandwchich!

So please check your kitty..keep a close eye on things..and consult vet..

good luck

spooky
January 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
heya! thanks for all the care.

i swabbed it with a cotton ball that night and the next day it was perfectly normal. just a corneal mood swing, i guess.

thanks again! i can always count on you guys.

eldora_avalon
January 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM
My cat's does that now and then. I always take a kleenex, the very tippy tip corner and hold it to the corner of her eye to absorb the water. It is usually an allergy type thing, gone in a day or two. Sometimes she gets a hair in her eye. Cat hair is oily, if you ever get it in your eye, you'll know what I mean. If they get their hair in their own eye it is the same.

halfwaynowhere
January 2nd, 2006, 12:58 AM
one of my cats used to get a watery eye every so often. we just dabbed it with a kleenex, and it was fine. sometimes cats make silly faces. i have 2 (brother and sister) that just sit there with one eye shut sometimes. they alternate between eyes and everything, no watering or anything. we call it the pirate eye, i'm not sure why though, i think my sister made it up. anyways, since the problem with your kitty cleared up, it was probably just dust or a hair. if the problem recurrs, see a vet, there are plenty of eye ointments out there for kitties, so your vet can give you some if its needed...