PDA

View Full Version : Yule BOS entry, please comment

LunarFlame
December 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
You all are gonna get sick of me ;)

Just wondering if you could all make some suggestions and comment on my Yule Grimoire entry. Just let me know if anything is incorrect, or if im missing important info.

Just to let you know, I don't believe in the god and goddess as seperate, so that is why I have no references to them in my info.

Here ya go!

Yule (Winter Solstice): Between December 20th and 23rd.

Also known as Winter Solstice, Yule falls between the 20th and 23rd of December depending on when the Sun reaches the southern most point in it yearly crossing. It marks the modern official beginning of winter and is the shortest day and longest night of the year. It is looked forward to as a mid point of winter. The sun begins its journey back to reaching its summer height. It is a time for celebration as it shows that Spring is on its way. With spring comes the return of migrating birds, the birth of new animals, and the softening of the soil. It is a time to reflect one’s life, plan for the future and to give thanks. The days will continue to get longer from now on until Litha.

Some traditional customs include The Yule Log, The Yule Tree, Wassailing, giving gifts, and the symbols of holly, Ivy, and mistletoe.

The Yule Log:
Chosen on the eve of Yule, The Yule log was used to honor the season, nature, gods, and to bring good luck in the future. It represented the light taking over the dark of the winter season which was now past its highest point. It was traditionally made of Ash. The log was either harvested from one’s own land, or given to a family as a gift. The log would be decorated in greenery, doused with cider or ale, dusted with flour, and then set ablaze with a piece of the Yule log from the year before. It would burn throughout the night, and then smolder for 12 days, at which time, it would be ceremonially put out. A piece from that year’s log would be retrieved and kept for symbolic protection of the home, and for use in the next Yule celebration.

Modern traditional Yule logs are more practical. They are generally used as a base to hold three candles. It can be made by taking a piece of oak or pine, and flattening one side so it sits length-wise on its side. On the top, three holes are drilled and candles of red, green and white are placed in to the holes. Then it can be decorated with greenery, cloves, and dusted with flour.
Different wood’s and greenery release their own magic and can aid in accomplishments desired for the year to come.
Yule Woods:
Ash -- brings protection, prosperity, and health
Aspen -- invokes understanding of the grand design
Birch -- signifies new beginnings
Holly -- inspires visions and reveals past lives
Oak -- brings healing, strength, and wisdom
Pine -- signifies prosperity and growth
Willow -- invokes the Goddess to achieve desires

The Yule Tree:
The evergreen tree was a symbol of everlasting life due to the fact that it always remained green, even in the harshest winters. Decorations on the tree can symbolize both the sun, moon, and stars, as well as those who have departed from us. Some Yule-themed decorations include apples, moons, suns, stars, acorns, holly, snowflakes, and strings of cranberries. After the Yule celebrations, the tree can be recycled after it is taken down. The needles can be used in potpourri, and the base can be chopped into logs for fire wood. Another option is to stand the whole tree outside and to allow the birds, and other creatures to eat the cranberries off of it.

Wassailing:
This is the tradition of having a drink to greet the future and to wish good health. A large bowl or cup is filled with hot, spiced ale and passed around. Those involved would make good wished towards their friends and family. It symbolizes good luck for the future. Often, singing would accompany the wassailing. Groups would go door to door singing, in hopes to receive wassail or gifts in return.

A traditional wassail contains mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, eggs, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.

Greenery:
Holy, Ivy, mistletoe, and other evergreens were traditionally used to decorate the home. They symbolized fertility and everlasting life.

Yule Correspondences:
Colors: Red, green, gold, white, sliver, yellow, orange.

Stones: Rubies, bloodstones, garnets, emeralds, Diamonds.

Scents: Pine, cedar, cinnamon, bayberry, rosemerry, juniper.

Herbs: Bayberry, blessed thistle, evergreen, frankincense, holly, laurel, mistletoe, oak, pine, sage, yellow cedar, pine cones.

Symbols and Traditions: The sun, The Yule tree, Yule log, exchanging gifts, boughs of holly, evergreen, mistletoe, Wassailling, wassailing the trees, wreaths, strings of dried flowers and cinnamon.

Foods: Cookies and caraway cakes soaked in cider, fruits, nuts, pork dishes, turkey, eggnog, ginger tea, spiced cider, wassail, or lambswool, ale, milled wine, sugar, nutmeg, roasted apples.

semi
December 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I don't use a BoS and I'm certainly no expert on Yule, but it all looks good to me. I wish I could've put this in the December issue of the MW magazine.

silver-melusine
December 26th, 2005, 07:59 PM
This is great information. I'm still trying to get my BOS together. ^^

Nitefalle
December 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Hm, the only things I would suggest would maybe be to include the cultural origins of Yule. Most people don't know that this was the new year for the Northern cultures (many people think that because Samhain was the Celtic new year, that automatically makes it the Pagan new year). Other than that, it seems pretty good. Oh, and to add that Holly was also seen as a symbol of protection against the darker forces, since Northern people believed that this was a time when the dead visited the earth.