PDA

View Full Version : is shea safe for dogs?

halfwaynowhere
December 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have shea lotion, and every time i use it, my puppy goes crazy and insists on licking me wherever i have just applied it... i don't think its harmful, but i don't know why she's licking it.. i read the ingredients, the only chemicals are the preservatives, and they are in such small amounts, i don't think they could hurt... i know its the shea that she's after, because we use shea softsoap in the bathroom, and everytime i wash my hands, she licks them, too... i tasted the lotion the other day (out of curiousity- yes, i know i'm weird) and it doesn't taste awful, kind of a weird almost sweet taste to it, not something you would really want to eat... i just need to know if this is normal behavior, and if its harmful, i don't want my puppy getting sick...

Anubis
December 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
It shouldn't make her sick.. I make soap from shea butter and mine go nuts every time I start measuring it out... I don't give them any... but if they could they would eat every bit of it I bring into the house.. I do make a balm from shea butter that I use on hot spots, cuts and scrapes.. and ingesting it doesn't harm them because I use pet safe all natural ingredients... so I wouldn't worry about it too much.. but I would discourage her from licking it off... mainly because it isn't doing you any good if she's eating it!

halfwaynowhere
December 23rd, 2005, 09:17 PM
yeah, last night we went through this whole routine, me sitting on my hands, and her running around barking at me trying to get me to take them out so she could lick them... i don't like her licking me... at least now i know it won't hurt her if she gets a lick in here or there...

Shanti
December 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Shea lotion is made from Shea butter. Shea butter is a solid fatty oil made from the nuts of Karite Nut trees. So according to your dogs nose, its food!!!!

So Shea in itself wont hurt, heck it would prob help his coat shine more!! :)
Only other ingredience is what I would check out.