PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Recipes

Kendrah
December 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I just got a crockpot for christmas! I think now is a good time to start sharing all our crockpot recipes! :D :D :D

Lunacie
December 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I think there's another thread or three about crockpot cooking and recipies around here somewhere. My favorites are for meatballs. One has a sauce of jelly and tomato sauce. One has a sauce made from a jar of 4-cheese or alfredo sauce and a can of mushroom soup. Good served over rice or noodles or mashed potatos or eaten all by themselves.

Kendrah
December 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I think there's another thread or three about crockpot cooking and recipies around here somewhere. My favorites are for meatballs. One has a sauce of jelly and tomato sauce. One has a sauce made from a jar of 4-cheese or alfredo sauce and a can of mushroom soup. Good served over rice or noodles or mashed potatos or eaten all by themselves.

I think we should post a sticky of crockpot recipes, though. I think that would be might benifical.

Ninjakitten
December 29th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I so agree! Crockpots are great for people on the go and for students who don't really know how to cook.

I throw in a roast (usually a tri-tip roast), baby or bite sized carrots, potatoes cut into bite sizes, chopped garlic (about a couple of teaspoons worth), some onion (usually yellow in my case), cilantro, allspice, salt, pepper, cloves, and either some celery seed or actual celery. Sear the roast in a frying pan first, dump in the rest of the ingredients, fill the crockpot with enough water to get to mid level on the roast, then set the crockpot on low for 8 hours.

Faery-Wings
December 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Just got a new CP for Xmas. My old one was starting to work wonky.

One of the easiest and favorites I do is get a cheap beef roast. Throw that in the CP with a package of dry onion soup mix, a can of beer and let it simmer for 6-8 hours on low. I slice hard rolls, butter and garlic them and toast them. Slice the meat on them, put on some cheese and pour some of the juice on top.

I also got a great new cook book- Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. As I try some of the recipes, I'll post them here.

BrigidMoon
December 30th, 2005, 09:29 AM
That would be a cool sticky!

KaidaMidnight
January 9th, 2006, 02:43 AM
At our house, we have two all time favorite CP meals. The first is a classic split pea and ham soup (which is even better the second day)
SPLIT PEA AND HAM SOUP
2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 cup dry slit peas
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery with leaves
1 cup shredded carrot
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon peper
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking rice
In CP combine ham, peas, onion, celery, carrot, parsley, thyme, and pepper. Pour chicken broth and water over all.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours. Stir in rice. Cover' let stand 5 minutes or till rice is tender. Makes 6 servings.

**************************** Our other favorite is Pork chops and mustard-sauced potatoes. :)
PORK CHOPS W/ MUSTARD-SAUCED POTATOES
6 pork loin chops, cut 3/4 inch thick
1 tablespoon cooking oil.
1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion sliced.
In large skittlet brown pork chops on both sides, half at a time, in hot oil. drain off fat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine soup, wine or chicken broth, mustard, thyme, garlic and pepper. Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat. Transfer to a CP. Place browned chops atop potatoes.
Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 7-8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 hours. Makes 6 servings.

:D

Amber Wynd
January 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I thought the title of this thread was "Crackpot Recipes.":durrrr:
I'm kinda sad that it's not.

But anyway, I like to put some chicken in the crockpot, add an onion, salt and pepper, a little bit of vegetable broth and some wine. You can add carrots, mushrooms, etc. if you want. Set the crockpot to medium and cook it for several hours. Cooking time depends on whether you use a whole chicken or cut it up. Just before serving, I thicken the sauce with a little corn starch or flour. It's wonderful served with garlic bread or rice and a salad.

eldora_avalon
January 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I thought the title of this thread was "Crackpot Recipes.":durrrr:
I'm kinda sad that it's not.
Don't feel bad, so did I :cheers:

Faery-Wings
January 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Kaida, do you puree the peas or do they mush down on their own? I have had trouble with pea soup before in my Cp, and have been looking for a good recipe for it. My mom makes awesome pea soup on the stove and my kids love it, but I always feel like mine comes out icky.

Thanks for the recipes.

I am making a White Bean Soup today, I'll let you all know how it goes and post the recipe if it is any good. :)

KaidaMidnight
January 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I don't mash them, if you put it on the low setting for as long as it says, they will mash down on their own. I tend to stir soups and stews every couple of hours (when I'm at home that is) just to get everything simmering together. that also helps to mash the peas up. :)

forestrangergrrl
January 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM
my favorite is to put a roast in the cp w/ heavy whipping cream ( about 2 pints or so i think, i can't remember exactly, just put in enough to go most of the way up to the top of the roast), 1 packet of lipton's or knorr's french onion soup mix and mushrooms. bake some potatoes and pour the 'juice' over the potato as a nice side dish. yum!
okay.... now i'm getting hungry..... *drools*