PDA

View Full Version : Can dogs have ADD?

Tzhebee
December 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I've had dogs growing up my entire life. When I was younger, I had cocker spaniels, then as I got older we had labs. My parents have had labs for better than 20 years! So, I'm used to the hyper puppy behavior: jumping, piddle on the floor in excitement, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, etc.

Normally, this hyper phase settles down to what I consider "happy dog" phase around 1 year of age. Where they are no longer "hyper" all the time, but still have their moments.

My mom has 3 labs right now and the youngest, Kali, is right about a year old...but she takes "hyper puppy" syndrome into a whole new level! If she were human, there is no doubt someone would dope her up with double doses of ridlin. 24/7 this dog is running, hyper, jumping, basically acting like she is 3 months old.

Just the other night, all three dogs were let out to run around (they have a 10x20 kennel with indoor heated sleeping quarters) for the night. She comes running down to the driveway, leading the pack...and WHAM-O! Slams into a parked car. Mind you, this same car is parked in the same spot EVERY day. It's parked under a freaking street lamp, so it's not like Kali isn't used to seeing it there or something. But, no, she runs into this car so hard that she broke her collar completely off! The clasp is broken, not fixable.

How do you run into a parked car so hard that you break a freaking collar?!?! Seriously...can dog's have ADD or some equivalent to it? Is there something we can do for this dog, or will she outgrow it?

Lunacie
December 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
It does seem to take some dogs longer to get over puppyhood. My friend had a dog that would slam into the glass patio door at the in-laws - every time they went over there. He never did outgrow the barking at noises he heard outdoors though. I always figured it was a difference in personality, but maybe you have something there. I wonder if its okay to give supplements to dogs like Omega 3 (fish oil) or Ginko Biloba - they are both helpful for people with ADD.

Moonlite Faery
December 28th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Yes! I do know its ok to give fish oil- will give them a great coat too, and ginko biloba is ok too.
Sometimes I wonder if our little one has ADD, my dogs are both a little over a year old and they have calmed down a teeny tiny bit, but not much. When they were a year and and the whole time before they would go nuts, and they still do, just not so bad now.

Lunacie
December 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Also, some breeds are just more hyper than others. That's one of the things I like best about basset hounds, they aren't so hyper, more quiet and laid-back.

Silver Ivy
December 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Hi :)

My two dogs are about a year old - and they can both be pretty hyper active sometimes, alot of the time it depends on the breed ... but I don't think that Labradors are known for being a hyper breed - so it's probably a more an individual thing.

I have no idea if dogs can be ADD or not .... :huh: So if you were really concerned you could always ask your vet.

My dogs need alot of exercise - so make sure that your dog has all the exercise that it requires - and that should wear him out for a while. Perhaps it needs more stimiluation - like toys or jobs to do .... a dog trainer could probably help you out more there ...

Good Luck :)

Rudas Starblaze
December 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM
:lol: thats some funny stuff! i have a friend whos ran into a parked car running at full speed.... but he was drunk! i think i would be more worried about the dogs eye sight rather then its hyperactiveness.

kal
December 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM
i think my friend has the same problem as you
he has a huge rottweiler its almost 3 but its hyper all the time
its bouncing about all the time she acts like a big doapy puppy
every time she see,s me she goes apeshit jumping all over me play bitting
you,d think i was made of chocolate the way she tries to lick me to death
it was funny at the start but now its beyond a joke

MoonRat
December 30th, 2005, 09:36 PM
It could be several things. Dogs are decendents of wolves and boy oh boy do wolves have stamina... Most breeds need a lot of exercise to burn off their energy, the smart ones need constant mental stimilation otherwise they go a bit batty or get destructive.

Dogs often have dumb moments and run in to things... Mine does.

My cat went wild because of her thyroid by the way, that causes hyperness.