PDA

View Full Version : Vibrant Candle Colors

Kendrah
January 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
I just made my first candle yesterday. It was surprisingly more simple, more so then all the horror stories I'd heard. Well, it was all simple except the color. I wanted a vibrant red color and I ended up with a neon pink color. I bought my supplies from Michaels (the brand name being Yales, I think) and I had put in floresent red and the regular red color (more then 2/8ths, whereas the package only suggested 1/8) and it still came out pink.

So how do I get a deep, vibrant color. I want to make another attempt soon, so any feedback would be lovely.

Morgandria
January 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
I used crayons to dye my last candle attempt. I just tossed metallic ones in, though, and they came out sort of metallic-sheened. I don't know if red crayons would help you.

I've also seen you can buy red bars of wax colourant - I know they worked for sealing wax in a vibrant dark red. They might work for candles.

Felidae
January 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
Put in more of the color cake than suggested (I assume that you are using the color cake and not the liquid since it's the Yaley item most box craft stores carry).

I usually test my scent and color by placing a few drops of the liquid wax on a small sheet of waxed or parchment paper at frequent intervals, adding just a little bit more until the desired intensity is reached. That way I have some idea of the end results before pouring.

I also advise adding in small increments and testing often, as it's easy to add more pigment and impossible to rescue a muddy color.

Kendrah
January 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Put in more of the color cake than suggested (I assume that you are using the color cake and not the liquid since it's the Yaley item most box craft stores carry).

Oh, I did. More then double the amount. Probably triple but still... And yeah, the brand is Yaley. Is that a bad brand?

Felidae
January 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Not a bad brand or type at all, I use it too, though wish they would stock the liquid pigment from time to time...

I guess they all supply the cakes because the shelf life is longer!

I do use essential and perfume oils I get from other suppliers to scent my candles, but use these carefully as they can effect the molding and burn quality.

johenn123
January 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
try liquid but don't use a lot. It works. Trust me!

halfwaynowhere
January 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
well, flourescent red is probably going to turn out either neon pink or neon orange... you might have been better off with just the regular red color... i don't know though, i haven't tried making candles yet...