PDA

View Full Version : Kitten problems

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
First and foremost I'm not a cat person. However, it was take the kitten or she was going to the pound.

Anyway.

This thing is a freakin savage. it constantly knocks over its food and water bowl then whines till I fill it back up(which isn't long). She tares my place to shreds when I'm gone and gets a sick pleasure out of clawing me in my sleep.

I truly hate this animal but I can't find anyone to take it of my hands.

How do you discipline a cat. I've had dogs before and never had a problem training one to behave...but I'm told you can't just whack a cat when it screws up cause they just don't get it...

I honestly believe this is not the kittens fault. in observing her tyraids it seems she has no ability to create memories...I think she honestly doesn't remember that if she does x, y is the consequence...or are cats really that stubborn.

Shes really cute though...that being the only reason shes still around.

So...any suggestions.

Dogs are so much easier to deal with.....

rayne100
January 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
First and foremost I'm not a cat person. However, it was take the kitten or she was going to the pound.

Anyway.

This thing is a freakin savage. it constantly knocks over its food and water bowl then whines till I fill it back up(which isn't long). She tares my place to shreds when I'm gone and gets a sick pleasure out of clawing me in my sleep.

How do you discipline a cat. I've had dogs before and never had a problem training one to behave...but I'm told you can't just whack a cat when it screws up cause they just don't get it...

I honestly believe this is not the kittens fault. in observing her tyraids it seems she has no ability to create memories...I think she honestly doesn't remember that if she does x, y is the consequence...or are cats really that stubborn.

So...any suggestions.

How old is this Kitten?
Try unsing a spray bottle with water in it, everytime, she does something she shouldn't squirt her and say no.
I call it "The Hand Of God" Method :)

rayne100
January 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Anyway.

So...any suggestions.

How old is this Kitten?
Try unsing a spray bottle with water in it, everytime, she does something she shouldn't squirt her and say no.
I call it "The Hand Of God" Method :)

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
So a spray bottle...that might work.

edit:: I'm really not sure how old she is. The vet thought older than six weeks but not more than two and a half months. She was really sick when I got her.

My mom couldn't find anyone to take her either, guess its cause shes black...I dunno. Maybe people still have that whole black cat bad luck thing.

Shes not really bad just really stupid/mischevious/insane most of the time...sometimes shes really sweet though.

Catiana
January 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
The cat can sense your feelings toward it, so if you truly hate this cat, she can sense that, and its probably contributing to her behavior problems. I do agree with the squirt bottle method, I use it with my kittens. But again, this may not work if the cat is sensing animosity on your part. What really needs to happen is for you to hold the cat, give her affection and bond with her, if that isn't possible for you then, you need to find another home for her right away.

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
I wish I could but no one wants her and I don't want to take her to the pound.

Winter_wolf
January 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Awww sounds like normal kitten antics to me. She's probably bored hense why she tears stuff up. She attacks you in your sleep because she thinks it's play time... there's no malice in it. One of our cats when they were a kitten would attack our feet under the blanket... was a big game for her. Cats are pretty empathic tho... if you don't like her, she knows. If you can't find it in yourself to give her attention and love then it you best find a new home for her asap.

Catiana
January 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
I wish I could but no one wants her and I don't want to take her to the pound.

Are there any no-kill shelters in your area. She needs to be adopted by someone who can give her the love and affection she needs. Do you think in time, you can start liking her?

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Sometimes I do but then she does something that pisses me off...like attack that little thing on the back of your ankle...or claw me when I'm sleeping...or rip a tapestry off the wall...or play with crap from the litter box and leave it in the doorway of the bathroom so I step in it....

I feel like a shit though cause I know if it was a puppy I'd be like "Oh he's playing..."

For some reason I've just never got on with cats. The original idea was to find her a home but that fell through....

I'll check about those no kill shelters I've never heard of one of those.

alwaysfallingup
January 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
I third (or fourth) the squirt bottle method. Works like a charm on all the kitties we've ever had. They even learn what the bottle looks like. After a while, you don't even have to squirt them. Just looking at the bottle is enough to discourage them from what they're doing.

As for the attacking, it's probably playful-kittens like to bat at moving things, and when you're in bed, everytime you move, the blankets wiggle and look like something that might be good to pounce.

If she's clawing at things, it might be because she's bored and needs some stimulation. Try getting a scratching post (and this sounds silly, I know) and showing her how to use it. I took my cat to the post, and ran my fingernails down it a few times, and she got the idea. You can also rub catnip on it. And buy a few fun toys. When animals are busy and interested in things, they are much less destructive.

I hope this helps!
~Alisha~

Dawa Lhamo
January 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hmmm... We just got new kittens in May when their mama was taken to the pound. And the girl cat, she was terribly vicious at first. (We had to wrap her completely in a towel with just her head peeking out to keep her from clawing us while we fed her... The boy we found a few days later and he was much too hungry to be so vicious.)

I agree, it's very difficult to "teach" cats anything, because I think it's very difficult for them to recognize patterns. (Maybe that's why they like random movements so much)... But she's still pretty young, so you do have that going for you.

I've heard good things about the spray-bottle method, but since we had two kittens, they took a lot of their aggressions/frustrations out on each other.

Since you're not too happy with one, though, two is probably out of the question. Though it would be helpful (to keep her from destroying your stuff while you're not there) to get a few toys and perhaps some kind of scratching post. My kittens love little pom-poms and they adore the plastic rings off of milk containers. Kittens have the same kind of need to scratch things up that puppies have to chew on things... Which means the more you can distract her from things you don't want her to destroy, the better.

Besides things to play with, our kittens were much more docile after we did the double-whammy of declawing and spaying/neutering. Though this is indeed a financial investment. In lieu of that, maybe shut your door while you sleep or confine her to the bathroom or a carrier or something at night.

My kittens still get into things and hide things and knock stuff over, but they don't tear up everything without front claws, and it doesn't nearly hurt so much when they paw at you.

As for the water bowl, well, you might duct tape it to the floor?

Good luck!
Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

VelvetBlade
January 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Great suggestions! The squirt bottle is a SAVIOR...lol. And the post about only having to show the bottle is so true. My cats would see the bottle in my hand and immediately stop what they were doing. The funny thing is, I'd use windex on the glass in the house and the cats would hear the sound and think it was the water bottle. They'd look at me as if to say "WHAT?? I'm not doing anything". And if you were in Mass...I'd take her in a heartbeat!!

~VB

Catiana
January 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sometimes I do but then she does something that pisses me off...like attack that little thing on the back of your ankle...or claw me when I'm sleeping...or rip a tapestry off the wall...or play with crap from the litter box and leave it in the doorway of the bathroom so I step in it....

I feel like a shit though cause I know if it was a puppy I'd be like "Oh he's playing..."

For some reason I've just never got on with cats. The original idea was to find her a home but that fell through....

I'll check about those no kill shelters I've never heard of one of those.

Yeah, pretty much she is just playing. Tera likes to attack my feet while I'm sleeping too but Vader and Orion don't, so its probably just part of her personality, some kittens are alot more playful than others and they all play in different manners. Tera also was always climbing my tapestry and pulling it down while the other two didn't, its just part of the way she is. I just put it on another wall that she couldn't get to.

I really hope you can find a new place for her, if you aren't able to become attached to her.

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
I probably will. I'm a softy like that, I just wish she would hurry up and grow up.

I tried closing the door last night and she just whined at clawed at the door all night till I let her in...then she attacked me. I didn't sleep well last night because of her "antics" thats probably why I'm a little pissy with her right now.

As of right now though...another kitten...not gonna happen.

She is really cute though and I'm convinced thats the only way kittens survive to become cats...

Seren_
January 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Like any kitten, she's full of energy and needs an outlet for it. Providing her with plenty of toys will help, and playing with her before bed might help tire her out a little.

Cats are nocturnal animals though, so she's probably going to annoy you at night until she learns to amuse herself. Lots of things to distract her with is a good way to go. Invest in a scratching post if you value your wallpaper, furniture or carpets too. Cats need to keep their claws in good condition. Locking her out of your room is the easiest method, though. She will claw at first, but provided you ignore it, she'll give up eventually. This might mean a few sleepless nights, but she'll get the message. If you let her in every time she claws, you're reinforcing the message that that kind of behaviour gets results for her.

Cats do learn quite quickly, just like dogs. And just like dogs, you need to use training methods that are consistent. Spraying does work, but be careful not to make a big fuss about it. Spray then ignore her, don't shout or anything like that, because then you're giving her attention and she'll start pushing it. However, a quick hiss as you spray might help reinforce the message that what she's doing is bad because you're talking in her language as well.

Make sure you balance the spraying with lots of positive stuff as well. Cats like routine, so try and set aside a little time each day where you play together, so she knows that there are times to play, and times to leave you alone. Otherwise if she's told off all the time she'll be unhappy, and that will make her act out more, making you unhappy...

She will calm down eventually. Being so young, most of her playful behaviour is her learning how to be a cat. As her adopted "mum", you can help guide her into being a bit more sociable about it.

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Yea...she seems to like other people just fine.

I don't know if it works like this but like I said when I first got her she was really sick. I literally had to hold her down and force her to take medicine. Maybe she remembers that and its time for a little kitty payback...man she hated that stuff. she was like 1.5 pounds of unbridled fury...I'm not kidding...she made the tazmanian devil look like a fluffy bunny.

She had some wierd skin/fur thing going on so I had to give her baths also...maybe she just associates me with bad stuff...or maybe I'm just making excuses.

Catiana
January 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM

I don't know if it works like this but like I said when I first got her she was really sick. I literally had to hold her down and force her to take medicine. Maybe she remembers that and its time for a little kitty payback...man she hated that stuff. she was like 1.5 pounds of unbridled fury...I'm not kidding...she made the tazmanian devil look like a fluffy bunny.

She had some wierd skin/fur thing going on so I had to give her baths also...maybe she just associates me with bad stuff...or maybe I'm just making excuses.

How long have you had her? She may have at first been angry at the medication, but if its continued more than a day or two, I'd say she's over it and is most likely responding to your feelings about her. If she senses you don't like her, she won't be friendly. Cats aren't like dogs, if you kick a dog they'll keep coming back for more, a cat won't.

Although again, the attacking during the sleep and those types of things are normal kitten playfulness and she will grow out of it.

Do you hold and pet her often, if not, you should, that is the most important part of developing a bond with her. Hold her on your lap or chest, talk to her while you're stroking her.

ShamanFeather
January 3rd, 2006, 07:19 PM
why buy toys? gift bows, milk rings, curling ribbon, bags, boxes, crinkly bags from walmart, basically that kind of garbage is free toys.

water bottles dont work on all kittens they didn't o the ones we had.

Malcolm
January 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
I do pet her. It lasts all of ten seconds then she bites me and starts clawing my hand, so I put her down.

Cats are wierd.

Catiana
January 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I do pet her. It lasts all of ten seconds then she bites me and starts clawing my hand, so I put her down.

Cats are wierd.

Are you picking her up and holding her while you're standing. A lot of cats don't like that, mine don't, they jump down right away and Nobie would bite and scratch me really hard but she loved to lay on my lap. Try sitting with her, and if she doesn't like being on your lap or held, try sitting beside her and petting her, also try petting her while she's eating. But again, if she is getting dislike vibes from you it won't work, so you have to go in with a really good attitude when you approach her.

Thunder
January 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
You have been getting great advice. The Ladies clearly understand the feline psyche.

I have raised and trained a small army of dogs and a few cats that have deigned to grace my home with their presence. I picked up on two comments that you made. The kitten tips her food and water and fusses until you get more and she picked at the door until you let her in. She is training you. If you get bowls that cannot be tipped and hold out at night until she gives up you will be training her. It is difficult to “train” a cat in the traditional sense of the word but they can be conditioned. All animal behavior (that isn’t pathological) has a purpose. For some of the behaviorisms the best strategy is to make them unrewarding like using the spray bottle (it has worked for me). Consistency is the key. The carrier as time out space is also great. You can get a pretty big carrier cheap at a yard sale, people dont know what to do with them after a while.

Thunder

Dawa Lhamo
January 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM

Cats are wierd.Try wrapping her in a towel so she can't claw you. That's what we had to do with my little devil til she calmed down. ^_^

And you're going soft, whether you want to admit it or not. If you think she's too cute for you to refuse, then you're already soft. ^_^
Cats do learn quite quickly, just like dogs. Yeah, that's true, but cats are cleverer. They may learn, but they'll break the rules far more often, and they'll push boundaries...tricksy little buggers... which is why your suggestion of being consistent is very important... They'll pretend like they don't understand, but they're really testing you.

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

Malcolm
January 4th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Ugh...this sucks.

At least with a dog, you put the smack down a couple times and they know who is in charge...

Catiana
January 4th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Ugh...this sucks.

At least with a dog, you put the smack down a couple times and they know who is in charge...

Welcome to the world of cats :)

Philosophia
January 4th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I'm sorry Malcolm but you've had me giggling for awhile now. I know the problem is serious, however I feel you really do like the cat or else you wouldn't have put up with it all. :hugz: As Catiana stated, "Welcome to the world of cats"
One of our cats tends to bite us if we're ignoring her. So when she starts biting you either walk away or pick her up and turn her away. Don't give her any attention because thats what she wants. Ignore her and she may stop it.

Bryony
January 4th, 2006, 03:02 AM
DON'T DECLAW HER. That's the equivalent of having your finger joints removed at the first knuckle from the tip back.

When she is a bit older, there is this wonderful invention known as "soft claws". They're basically fake kitty finger nails, and prevent scratches from hurting and tearing wall paper, drapes, etc.

As for the biting and "attacking" your hand, she's doing what all kittens do. She is obviously feeling better if she is doing that instead of sleeping all the time. Try trailing a shoelace across the floor, she'll go after it instead of you.

The crying at night can be quickly remedied... don't go to the door to shush her. Keep a clear view of the door and a shoe at the ready. When she starts crying, throw it at the door. It usually only takes one shoe, but a pair is reassuring. (I've used this trick on a cat that *howls*.)

Kittens are immune to catnip until 6 months to a year old.

My "little monster" is now 10 1/2 years old and asleep against my side as I'm typing on my laptop on my bed... And yes, welcome to the world/universe of cats. You are now officially property of said cat. Live with it and learn to love it.

Invidosa
January 4th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Ugh...this sucks.

Yeah, kitties need a deftly gentle hand compared to doggies, thats for sure! Heres a few hints i learned. when you go to scritch her, start with the top of her head. Cats do better with this if they are jumpy because it is easy for them to extricate themselves from your hands. You really do need to give her some cuddle time, and play time. my favorite is a scrap of paper or christimas bow tied on a string, lots of kitty acrobatic fun to be had here! lastly, The only thing I have found to deter the kitten toe hunting instinct is to put a pillow over your feet, under your blanket (yes, I do know how ridiculolus that is) I feel your pain in the up-all-night kitty scraching-at-door/eating-toes marathon. My current kitty (City Girl) was formerly an outdoor cat, I don't do outdoor cats (too many heart attacks from missing kitties!) for FOUR DAYS and THREE NIGHTS I was constantly seranaded by my very persistant kitty!

Good luck with your voyage into kitten world (theres a sucker born every minute!) :abbed:

Invidosa
January 4th, 2006, 03:11 AM
When she is a bit older, there is this wonderful invention known as "soft claws". They're basically fake kitty finger nails, and prevent scratches from hurting and tearing wall paper, drapes, etc.
These are a GREAT invention! and if your so inclined, you can find them in a variety of colors, the equivilent of little kitty acrylic nails, she can be oh so fasionable :hahugh:

The crying at night can be quickly remedied... don't go to the door to shush her. Keep a clear view of the door and a shoe at the ready. When she starts crying, throw it at the door. It usually only takes one shoe, but a pair is reassuring. (I've used this trick on a cat that *howls*.)

Yes, this works like a charm

ap Dafydd
January 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM
This thing is a freakin savage.

No, just a kitten. Kittens play, relentlessly, when they're not eating or sleeping. Invest in some cat toys and leave them scattered about the floor.

it constantly knocks over its food and water bowl then whines till I fill it back up(which isn't long).

Sounds like boredom. you don't need to leave food around at all times but she should always have access to water. Put the bowls on the floor or somewhere she's less likely to crash into them or try to dig underneath them.

She tares my place to shreds when I'm gone

Try to clear away any dangling things, far too much of a temptation.

and gets a sick pleasure out of clawing me in my sleep.

As others have said, keep the door shut. "Catch the toe mouse" and "wake up you old bastard" are really fun games for cats. If she sees you moving in your sleep, it's an invitation to jump on you. Fine when you're awake, not when you're not.

Hitting her will just make her afraid of you. Best thing to do is walk away if she gets too enthusiastic.

So...any suggestions.

But so much less fun. _All_ cats are really cute.

If you want a really off the wall suggestion, get a second kitten, then they will play with each other.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Malcolm
January 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Wow.

I left her outside my room lastnight ans this place is a mess....

Dave the Druid
January 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
You poor sod!

I have a kitten too and I didn't ask for it. Mishu is a good kitten as far as kittens go. The water bottle really works and I must say that I wait for the chance to use it, she is learning.

It speaks well of you for this adoption. On the other hand I learned what really goes into tamales and if you want to get fed up I can send a recipie. :D

Malcolm
January 4th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I'm changing her full name to PanDora...she has a way of unleashing bad things....

enchancea
January 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I feel your pain....

Kendrah
January 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Aw, she's just doing the kitten thing. I had a true hellion. She was the devil incarnate. I swear to god. She didn't ever want to be petted, she'd rather bit you. The pair (I kept her brother as well) tore up everything. She was an obnoxious brat but now (about 6 ~ 8 months old) she's the most loving little thing. Doesn't play around. Doesn't bit. Always jumps up on your lap.

Kittens are little savages. They're evil!! But they're cute, so that's okay. Cute and evil works. ^_^

Kendrah
January 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Cats are wierd.

Get gloves or mittens and play rought with her. I know my kitten loved me to grab her belly while she scratched and bit at me. She she got enough, she'd run away. And then pounce again. But don't play with her without a glove on. It trains her to think that when you put the gloves on, you'll play with her.

Or at least, that's the theory. I never did it. All my kitten grew out of the "attack the hand" game.

Seren_
January 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM

This doesn't sound like payback, this sounds like a kitten thing. If she's only about two months old she's still very young, and therefore quite dependent on you. Her behaviour - the playing, the attacking, the destruction - is simply her way of learning how to be a cat (your toes are her practise mice, you know?). Since you're the one looking after her, nursing her back to health and all that, you're the one that she's going to be experimenting how to be a cat with.

You are The Hand That Feeds. Lucky you :nyah:

VelvetBlade
January 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
why buy toys? gift bows, milk rings, curling ribbon, bags, boxes, crinkly bags from walmart, basically that kind of garbage is free toys.

water bottles dont work on all kittens they didn't o the ones we had.

omgs...those milk rings are the greatest!! Every kitten I have ever had has had them and played with them for hours. At least, until they get batted under the stove..lol...

~VB

Philosophia
January 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
omgs...those milk rings are the greatest!! Every kitten I have ever had has had them and played with them for hours. At least, until they get batted under the stove..lol...
~VB

Milk rings are evil! My cat threw one in the air and it landed on my foot. Had to put band aids on scratches and bite marks my toes received :nyah:
We give them tennis balls, wool, scrunched pieces of paper (even tied on a string may occupy them for awhile), etc. are good ideas too.

Winter_wolf
January 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
My cats go crazy for hair ties... they actually steal them out of the drawer to play with them... cheap toy :)

Shanti
January 5th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Dont feel bad about not being a cat person.
I rescued a mom cat, cared for her through near death, cared for the kittens and they were wonderful...for cats.
I loved them and they were a cat lovers dream, but in reality..my lifestyle and a cats lifestyle just doesnt mix.
I knew I would end up making their lives miserable if I kept them.
Cat proofing my house was not an option! LOL

Just because lifestyles are different dont mean its a bad thing. We can adore an animal but that doesnt mean we want to live with it.

You obviously care about the animals welfare, its just not your type of pet.

I hope you get lucky and find her a home.

I know I felt a lot better when I came home to a catless house.

Also, as everyone said, cats know how you feel. I know my cats knew I cared what happened to them, they also knew I didnt want to live under the same roof with them.
Cats are beautiful and amazing creatures, in someone else's home! LOL

I'm a dog person. :)

Malcolm
January 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
She found the toilet paper in the bathroom....holy crap. I woke up this morning and there was toilet paper all over my apartment. A long trail of it into the living room and various shreeded bits all around...

Dawa Lhamo
January 6th, 2006, 01:44 PM
She found the toilet paper in the bathroom....holy crap. I woke up this morning and there was toilet paper all over my apartment. A long trail of it into the living room and various shreeded bits all around...Hahaha! I remember when my kittens discovered toilet paper. ^_^ Try to make sure that you don't leave a tail hanging down when you use it. lol